Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC faces new competition from WestJet's new lie-flat 787 business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC faces new competition from WestJet's new lie-flat 787 business class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
I haven't kept up with this thread, but can someone quickly confirm if known-

On WJ new dreamliners, will Y be high density like AC with 10 across?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
I haven't kept up with this thread, but can someone quickly confirm if known-

On WJ new dreamliners, will Y be high density like AC with 10 across?
AC's dreamliners are 9 across (3-3-3), the 777s are the ones with 10. I'm not certain but I suspect that WS will have 9 across Y as it seems to be the industry standard, even on ULCCs like Scoot. I doubt it's physically possible to squeeze 10 across.
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
IMO - One of WestJets biggest issues is there inability to effectively deal with IRROPS, especially on long haul flights. AC / *A are much better positioned to get you home when trouble starts brewing. WestJet can’t do that as effectively.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by marke190
AC's dreamliners are 9 across (3-3-3), the 777s are the ones with 10. I'm not certain but I suspect that WS will have 9 across Y as it seems to be the industry standard, even on ULCCs like Scoot. I doubt it's physically possible to squeeze 10 across.
Ah yes waa confused. Thanks

Originally Posted by danapop
IMO - One of WestJets biggest issues is there inability to effectively deal with IRROPS, especially on long haul flights. AC / *A are much better positioned to get you home when trouble starts brewing. WestJet can’t do that as effectively.
This.
Will definitely keep business travellers with ac but may not affect leisure travellers as much.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
This.
Will definitely keep business travellers with ac but may not affect leisure travellers as much.

Given that two of the initial three city-pair routes aren't exactly business-heavy, do you really anticipate a huge corporate demand for premium seats? I'd envision these cabins to be filled with leisure travellers with means as much as by people traveling for work.
Also don't forget that as WS receives its long haul airplanes and corporate travel contracts expire, there may be a lot of rustlin' going down in Cowtown.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
We will have to see how this all pans out. We are only talking about Europe-Canada at this point. AC has its Lufthansa group and United partners. WestJet has its partnership with Air France, KLM and Delta. Not certain I see the difference.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

Ah yes waa confused. Thanks

This.
The cabin looks fairly nice.

The biggest reason for business travels to stay with AC is the number of cities served. However WS has a smaller business class cabin and what looks to be a nicer premium economy cabin than AC.

Meals are a question mark. They appear to be having problems getting that aspect of the service sorted out.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Paid interview? can you elaborate?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:55 am
Original Member

You must be new here.
Jagboi, quantumofforce and mellon like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
We will have to see how this all pans out. We are only talking about Europe-Canada at this point. AC has its Lufthansa group and United partners. WestJet has its partnership with Air France, KLM and Delta. Not certain I see the difference.
Big difference. First, with WS not in alliance with AF/KLM/DL, its not really the same thing. AFAIK, its a code share agreement, Nothing more.

Second, the biggest difference is frequency of flights to/from Europe is dramatically different. On any given day you have multiple AC fights to and from LHR to YUL/YOW/YYZ/YVR/YYC. WS doesn't have that. If something happens in LHR (for example) there is significantly less capacity to deal with the IRROPS and accommodate passengers on alternative flights to Canada.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer
You must be new here.
I am not saying AC is perfect... But having been involved in IRROPS in Europe with both AC and WS, AC has far greater ability and capacity to deal with things than WS does. It is also the same reason I will not fly discount airlines domestically (like Flair) because of their inability to deal with IRROPS in a time efficient manner.

Sidetrack Story -
Flair stranded my wife for 9 hours in YVR on her way home to YEG in October because the plane went mechanical... It would have been quicker for her to drive home! I had to fly to Denver the October 9. My wife was supposed to be home at 7PM October 8. My flight to DEN was at 6AM. We passed each other on the highway at 430AM. I had to wrangle someone to come watch my kids in the wee hours of the morning so I didnt miss my flight!
End of Sidetrack -
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:01 am

WS doesn't have that. If something happens in LHR (for example) there is significantly less capacity to deal with the IRROPS and accommodate passengers on alternative flights to Canada.
As we saw when they introduced their "new" 767s into the fleet. I'm expecting the brand new Dreamliners to have a higher dispatch reliability, but with only a handful in the fleet to start, similar issues could certainly arise.
What's being implied is a bit of a catch-22: passengers won't buy WS tickets until they increase their reliability with more planes; WS won't procure more planes until passengers buy more tickets.

I reckon, however, the suits in Calgary have got a sound plan...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

I reckon, however, the suits in Calgary have got a sound plan...
Agreed. It has been fascinating to watch WS expand over the last decade.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:23 am
5mm
Suspended

Sidetrack Story -
Flair stranded my wife for 9 hours in YVR on her way home to YEG in October because the plane went mechanical... It would have been quicker for her to drive home! -
Your wife must drive very fast. Normal driving time between YVR and YEG is 12 to 13 hours, with 1 gas stop.

Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by 5mm
Your wife must drive very fast. Normal driving time between YVR and YEG is 12 to 13 hours, with 1 gas stop.
I knew as soon as I read the original comment that somebody would forget to include the time it takes to drive from their starting point to YVR airport, arrive at least an hour ahead of the flight, fly to Edmonton and add the time it takes to disembark and travel home from YEG. Now add that to a 9-hour delay, and presto! likely 12 to 13 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.