Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC faces new competition from WestJet's new lie-flat 787 business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC faces new competition from WestJet's new lie-flat 787 business class

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 4:31 pm

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by smallmj
My original thought was Skoda [...]
What, like this one? SKODA SUPERB Perfectly adequate for a premium transfer that lasts all of 5 min. Skoda has flourished quite nicely under VW ownership.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
This thread is filled of references of WJ as WestJet and some are using WJ and WS interchangeably. While I understand current FlyerTalkers understand what is being referred to here, unspoken Flyertalk pedantic rules do not permit this sort of behavior. (the use of an emoji is rhetorical here)
Yes it took me some time and a few errors and people pointing out Air Labrador to realize this. You live and learn, or you live at any rate.

But then I’ve been told off for using obscure airport codes in a FT thread before. Like YDF
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
And 6-across seating where window occupants have to acrobatically manoeuvre over their neighbours to access the aisle.
Some of us enjoy flying sitting next to the people we fly with
Twickenham and CZAMFlyer like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I can't see WS moving to LHR over LGW from YYC. BA and AC already run 789s on that route. And the WS model is to use LGW for lower cost and connections to easyJet and other carriers in Europe in LGW. I expect WS 1 YYC-LGW will go 789 though, followed by YYZ, right out of the gate.
After two summers in LGW, WS still does not have a codeshare or interline agreement with easyJet. It code shares with the likes of Air France, KLM, Delta, Japan Airlines, a bunch of Chinese airlines. It also interlines with Air Ligus, Alitalia, EL AL, Ethad, Finnair, LOT, Pakistani, Qatar, Ukraine, Air Marac among others. I think they have better connection opportunities in Heathrow. They are also the home town favourite in Calgary and are likely going after corporate accounts in Calgary. If you want to connect Calgary with the world oil centres through Europe I think Heathrow and Paris are the two places to do it.

The leisure market and family visit market are their break and butter. However if they want to build out an international business travel business they are going to make zero progress in Toronto with 10 wide-body aircraft. They need to start somewhere and I think it has to be trying to display the corporate accounts AC has in Calgary. That means London, Paris and Narita.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
While it looks great in the release, they only have 10 aircraft (+ the option for 10 more).

So while it is a direct competitor, how many routes they can actually compete on is limited.

I also think there will be growing pains rolling out not only the new aircraft but a new hard + soft product and class of service which they've never had before.
But it is exciting nonetheless.
I wonder if WS knows how to run a "premium" service and adjusting the mentality of its staff. PLUS is a total flop. Other than the ancient 767, none of WS current North American fleet has a premium cabin. There is no priority check-in and priority baggage handling. So you bring a J passengers from overseas to one of the hubs, unless that J passenger terminates there, you feed that passenger to PLUS? Will YYZ T3 where WS operates change the international transfer process similar to T1 where AC is located?
Very ambitious plan but not sure how WS is going to execute it. Their brand new 7M8 does not have real North American standard J seats.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:35 pm

This is great - it's always nice to have options.
Hopefully WestJet's Dreamliners will serve them well and open the era for WestJet to evolve into a proper FSC with many international routes and wide-body aircraft.
Also hopefully Westjet will join an alliance (I wish for OneWorld but probably SkyTeam) and launch a proper lounge network.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: various
Remember when WS swore they would NEVER fly out of YYZ. They did hold out for a long time while AC made a killing as basically the sole scheduled domestic carrier out of Toronto after Canadi<ns demise...............uh hem, sorry take-over............

now look at them go. Good luck to them, this can only improve the AC product.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Fiordland
After two summers in LGW, WS still does not have a codeshare or interline agreement with easyJet...If you want to connect Calgary with the world oil centres through Europe I think Heathrow and Paris are the two places to do it.

The leisure market and family visit market are their break and butter. However if they want to build out an international business travel business they are going to make zero progress in Toronto with 10 wide-body aircraft. They need to start somewhere and I think it has to be trying to display the corporate accounts AC has in Calgary. That means London, Paris and Narita.
London is huge O&D market. Codeshares, interlines and connections matter less when flying to the UK than they would elsewhere. Consequently, flying into Gatwick is not much different than to Heathrow, and the train or car into the city for business travellers is virtually the same effort. For the leisure crowd, if flying into Gatwick means less cost, they wouldn't care two whits about skipping Heathrow. Gatwick has arguably better train connections from the airport anyway, especially if staying in the SE.

London, Paris, Narita, yes. Also Frankfurt.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Video mentions “on demand dining”. I wonder if that’s ordering via the IFE. That would be be an improvement over AC if one can order drinks and snacks form your seat. (Wasn’t AC supposedly to implement that at some point?)
Old May 10, 2018, 2:14 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
What is with some of the over-the-top excitement in here? WS announced lay-flats ages ago, when they first announced the 787s. So is it really that shocking that the lay-flats are similar to those that are being used by AC and many other airlines these days?

Originally Posted by cooleddie
The WestJet business class product is almost identical to Air Canada's. And now, Air Canada's economy class is almost identical to WestJet's (a la 737 MAX 8)
On the 787, yes. But there's still no J on narrowbodies. Plus is nowhere close.

It is very exciting to see a real competitor in the area... and most importantly... OPTIONS....
I will agree with you that options are good.

I totally expect AC prices to come down!

The density is higher on WestJet's 787-9s, which puts WestJet at an advantage.
An advantage how? Lower CASM, sure, but also fewer premium seats = fewer opportunities to sell more expensive fares.

Originally Posted by nave888
For me to move over to Westjet entirely, I need them to join an alliance, and have some sort of lounge access policy. If they joined Skyteam and offered lounge access at larger airports (as they do for a fee now), I'd fly them exclusively. For years, my big issue was a lack of J, but even within Canada, AC has made upgrading a pain, so this is basically a non issue for me today. AC's just made booking so incredibly complex. Last Thursday, I spent nearly an hour on the phone explaining the 3 different flex fare categories, not to mention the various standard and comfort fares, to my corporate TA. All this, just for the pleasure of spending 16 credits to upgrade a domestic roundtrip flight.
I agree that AC's branded fares have made booking fare more complicated, but having tried WS on a half-dozen trips recently, I've not been impressed at some of how things work over at WS: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29662666-post20.html. @Clipper801 also made some good points about the generally underwhelming experience of Plus.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
WestJet will have absolutely no hiccups introducing a new class of service. If there's one thing they do better then AC today, it's service. This isn't rocket science and WestJet isn't run by neophytes. I fully expect their PY and J products to be every bit as good as AC, right out of the gate.
Like there were no hiccups introducing LGW service a couple years back? They seem to have figured it out, but the delays, cancellations and many millions of EU261 compensation they paid out sure constituted some hiccups on that. The 787s should have a lot fewer mechanical issues given they'll be new, but if WS is truly going to send these things to Asia, that's going to be another level of difficulty above sending 763s to LGW.

Originally Posted by KenHamer
And if I think long and hard much of the service was similar.

But I paid $1750 on AC and was promised the world (figuratively speaking) while I paid only about half on WS and was only promised a decent flight with some cold snacks/meals. Guess which one I feel better about.
Ken, I don't remember whether I ever replied to that thread of yours, but the pricing is not always such a bargain as it was when you bought it. I've looked at many trips where WS Plus was pretty similar to the cost of AC J. Maybe a small discount to AC J, but a massive premium to WS (or AC) Y. If you can get it for a few more bucks than Y, and some of that extra spend offsets fees you would have paid for bags or whatever, sure, the value proposition can be decent. But I would only buy it at a meaningful discount to AC.

Originally Posted by Symmetre
At the end of the day, the biggest differences between Westjet's 787 offering and AC's 787 offering will be that the WestJet planes will post a significantly better OTP and the WS crews will be almost universally friendly, welcoming, and treat every passenger like they're the company's number one customer. You know, like AC always does. <-- (sarcasm)
As WS's crews are aging, the universally perky and friendly service is thinning out somewhat. For sure, 15 years ago, there was a vast difference in attitude between AC and WS, but of late, they've been moving closer to each other.

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I think it will be easy for WS to undercut AC on TPAC/TATL, on AC's existing routes because of WS' cheaper J-product cost structure:
- no BMW limos
- no signature lounge
- no concierge infrastructure
- no certificate upgrades (upgrade coupons not valid on longer haul flights)
Limited economies of scale and growing pains will initially offset some of those advantages. It will also be interesting to see whether WS does try to introduce some more premium services. AC didn't build the SSL just to piss away millions of dollars, they did it because they thought it would help attract more premium traffic and generate a revenue benefit.

Originally Posted by Mustang Sally
Might perhaps encourage AC to think very, very hard before subbing their wannabe pond jumping 737 on premium routes again (AC859 LHR-YYZ operated by 737MAX8 w/ 6hr delay)
That was likely a one-off (or extremely rare event) due to cascading maintenance issues, not something AC plans to do regularly.

What I think is more interesting is the Premium Economy cabin. The WS premium economy looks nicer that the AC offering.
The PR shots of both look pretty similar to me. Are you comparing the PR shots of the WS PY cabin to your real-world experiences? Because nothing is ever as good as it looks in the PR shots.

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Any reason why they wouldn't fly the plane domestically? AC charges $3-4k YYZ-YVR in J. That's gotta be a juicy margin for AC. Then continue the flight to somewhere in Asia.
The plane will undoubtedly fly domestically at times. The question is whether it will just be a bit of re-positioning and killing dead time between long-haul flights or whether they'll have enough demand to start running widebodies on routes like YVR-YYZ on a more regular basis.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
London, Paris, Narita, yes. Also Frankfurt.
London, sure, they're already going there and there's lots of business traffic O&D between the two. NRT, maybe, but AC has been cutting back the NRT flight of late and there has been way less Asian interest in the Canadian oil and gas sector in the past few years, so I wouldn't count on that one. As for CDG and FRA, those make no sense. Over 3/4 of the traffic at FRA is on *A - so not much chance for WS to offer connections to partners - and there's little to no O&D YYC<>FRA. As for CDG, a couple flights a week in summer to capture leisure traffic, maybe, but attracting business traffic? There's not a ton of O&D business traffic and even if WS joins SkyTeam, CDG is a terrible connecting airport. AF/KLM also already serves YYC from AMS, which offers about as much connectivity to other destinations as one could want. Competing with AC on Asian business makes far more sense than offering flights from YYC to CDG or FRA.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

The PR shots of both look pretty similar to me. Are you comparing the PR shots of the WS PY cabin to your real-world experiences? Because nothing is ever as good as it looks in the PR shots.
The plane will undoubtedly fly domestically at times. The question is whether it will just be a bit of re-positioning and killing dead time between long-haul flights or whether they'll have enough demand to start running widebodies on routes like YVR-YYZ on a more regular basis.
London, sure, they're already going there and there's lots of business traffic O&D between the two. NRT, maybe, but AC has been cutting back the NRT flight of late and there has been way less Asian interest in the Canadian oil and gas sector in the past few years, so I wouldn't count on that one. As for CDG and FRA, those make no sense. Over 3/4 of the traffic at FRA is on *A - so not much chance for WS to offer connections to partners - and there's little to no O&D YYC<>FRA. As for CDG, a couple flights a week in summer to capture leisure traffic, maybe, but attracting business traffic? There's not a ton of O&D business traffic and even if WS joins SkyTeam, CDG is a terrible connecting airport. AF/KLM also already serves YYC from AMS, which offers about as much connectivity to other destinations as one could want. Competing with AC on Asian business makes far more sense than offering flights from YYC to CDG or FRA.
Yes, the PR on their new Premium Economy looks great relative to the reality on Lufthansa and AC. Given the inconsistency of how WS has deployed "Plus" I think it is a given WS is going to take some time to get it consistent.

I would agree FRA is pointless for them out of Calgary. I also don't think there is a lot of traffic between Calgary and FRA; it is mostly a transfer point to other parts. That is going to be AC.

WS is already looking at some joint venture with Delta. If they manage to get a similar deal with Air France/KLM I would expect CDG makes a lot of sense. That is all depending on Air France wanting to come to table. Starting on June 1st, WS is also flying a 737 from Calgary with a Halifax stop then on to CDG.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
As WS's crews are aging, the universally perky and friendly service is thinning out somewhat. For sure, 15 years ago, there was a vast difference in attitude between AC and WS, but of late, they've been moving closer to each other.
I dunno Adam, I fly on WS a couple of times every month and that's not been my experience at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they ditched the corny jokes long ago ("Let's get this Boeing going!") and I'm happy I'm no longer expected to wave at Amanda in the mid-cabin doing the safety demo. But gate and flight crews have remained almost universally pleasant and helpful IMO, the friendly attitude still seems to be a hiring criteria. This is in sharp contrast to my remaining AC flights which more often than not have indifferent crews, or rouge flights where I have overheard the FAs complaining about work issues on multiple occasions.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by jc94

Same as every AC PY not on the 787/789 planes no?
Same with AC/SQ.... only some CX/BR does it......... You would think they figure this out, especially if they are operating as a distinct class (as opposed to UA's Y+).

I would love a WestJet - Alaska Airlines partnershiP!

Last edited by global happy traveller; May 10, 2018 at 6:30 am
Old May 10, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I would agree FRA is pointless for them out of Calgary. I also don't think there is a lot of traffic between Calgary and FRA; it is mostly a transfer point to other parts. That is going to be AC.
On one hand, the YYC-FRA flight is usually full, J is almost always sold out (and from what I can measure, has a very low percentage of upgraders and rewards seats) and sells at very high prices ($8k + return to various points in Europe, often more like $9k). While I am sure that looks very attractive to WS, I am also sure that you are right and that 98% of that traffic is onward at the FRA side. Somewhere way upthread the speculation the service was going to be TPAC mostly. That makes a lot more sense to me unless there is an alliance offering soon. While I don't think AC should be concerned in the short run, I think in the long term they should be. And I think that is a very good thing for us pax. Competition and choice is needed and good. Not because AC sucks in in one or two or more obvious ways, but because it will drive them to improve and keep costs reasonable. Unlike those $9k J fares to FRA.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: AC 35k
I think you will see these flights as repositioning ones. It's the same reason AC runs so many widebodies YYZ-YVR. Right now, WS runs the 767s between YYC-YYZ in winter, presumably shifting capacity between Hawaii routes it is running and planes for LGW at YYZ which runs daily. Whether or not you will see YVR-YYZ all depends where the routes are launched and in particular how much capacity goes to YYC vs YVR. YVR is the natural hub for Asian flights and has way more O&D, but is also highly competitive with a lot of service already from AC and lots of other Asian carriers and is WS's smallest hub. I think eventually YVR will eclipse YYC in Asian flights but initially I can see WS launching Asian destinations that are in a 3/4x split between YYC and YVR. There is a reason why WS went to hourly YYC-YVR flights as they want to route more YVR pax via YYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.