Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC faces new competition from WestJet's new lie-flat 787 business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC faces new competition from WestJet's new lie-flat 787 business class

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Competition is pretty much always welcome news, for the consumer.
Clive Beddoe defied the odds, naysayers and carnage of predecessors. Sawatsky picked up the reins and is growing it further.
AC domestic and Sun routes would cost us more and likely lousier service had it not been for Westjet giving AC a run for their money.

The same will happen on the routes Westjet deploys the 787's on.
Not sure why airlines need to use closed caskets in business class though on the 787's. I prefer the open caskets found on 777's.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Realistically WS will probably be a factor of Calgary and Toronto to London. Perhaps a WS move form Gatwick to Heathrow is also in order. WS is probably going to gain some Calgary corporate accounts at AC's loss.

What I think is more interesting is the Premium Economy cabin. The WS premium economy looks nicer that the AC offering.

AC has already upped their cabin in the business class cabin. Next is going to be upping their game in premium economy.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by taupo
Sawatsky picked up the reins and is growing it further.
Saretsky. But he 'retired' with immediate effect in March. It's Ed Sims now, who has spent time with Air NZ
Old May 9, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by jazzsax
Yes they can run at a lower cost,
TL;dr, sometimes you get what you pay for. For WS to play with the big boys on the big boy routes they are going to have to pay for it.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Realistically WS will probably be a factor of Calgary and Toronto to London. Perhaps a WS move form Gatwick to Heathrow is also in order. WS is probably going to gain some Calgary corporate accounts at AC's loss.

What I think is more interesting is the Premium Economy cabin. The WS premium economy looks nicer that the AC offering.

AC has already upped their cabin in the business class cabin. Next is going to be upping their game in premium economy.
I'm not so certain WS is going after the premium flier market. There's only 4 rows of J and 4 rows of PY on the 787 WS aircraft.

I bet you that they are hoping to gain some share but they're not entirely sure they can capture that market. Given the info above, I suspect WS's value prop is a cheaper fare than AC to lure over that market, at least in the short term. I'm not 100% sure they are sold they can pull it off though, and if WS ends up flying to Gatwick as opposed to LHR, then that market may not react well to that. I know I would pay a premium to fly to LHR in J as opposed to Gatwick.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Mind blown.
https://youtu.be/oSQn4QK8QDY

What will AC do to react?

Just look at the details. The WestJet business class product is almost identical to Air Canada's. And now, Air Canada's economy class is almost identical to WestJet's (a la 737 MAX 8)

I haven't been happy with AC lately with Aeroplan dropping out and all the enhancements. All WestJet needs to do is to join SkyTeam and AC will have a very tough competitor.

See https://787.westjet.com/ for WestJet's 787 website.
For reference, you can compare it to AC at https://787.aircanada.com
If Westjet joined the skyteam.. damn. That would be so awesome. Love the new dreamliner, hope I get to fly on one soon!
Old May 9, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC 35k

I can't see WS moving to LHR over LGW from YYC. BA and AC already run 789s on that route. And the WS model is to use LGW for lower cost and connections to easyJet and other carriers in Europe in LGW. I expect WS 1 YYC-LGW will go 789 though, followed by YYZ, right out of the gate.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:36 pm

Yeah, I hope WJ joins ST. Something.

Happy to see this competitive offering.

Any reason why they wouldn't fly the plane domestically? AC charges $3-4k YYZ-YVR in J. That's gotta be a juicy margin for AC. Then continue the flight to somewhere in Asia.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Smile

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Saretsky. But he 'retired' with immediate effect in March. It's Ed Sims now, who has spent time with Air NZ
Thank you for the correction and update. No wonder they are leaping ahead with 787's and full service, they have an ex NZ person at the helm
Old May 9, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by taupo
Not sure why airlines need to use closed caskets in business class though on the 787's. I prefer the open caskets found on 777's.
If you're referring to AC, all of their 777s are now using the Dream Cabin config (e.g. "closed casket").

If you're referring to other airlines, LO is an example (out of several airlines) where their 787s in C/J are "open casket".
Old May 9, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Yeah, I hope WJ joins ST. Something.

Happy to see this competitive offering.

Any reason why they wouldn't fly the plane domestically? AC charges $3-4k YYZ-YVR in J. That's gotta be a juicy margin for AC. Then continue the flight to somewhere in Asia.
My guess is unlike AC with a much larger pool of pilots rated on the airplanes, WJ will have much less pilots ready to go and will probably keep those duty hours tied to overseas turns. AC does repositioning flights with the domestics but their fleet is pretty much going non stop.

Guess we will have to see when WJ launches.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
This thread is filled of references of WJ as WestJet and some are using WJ and WS interchangeably. While I understand current FlyerTalkers understand what is being referred to here, unspoken Flyertalk pedantic rules do not permit this sort of behavior. (the use of an emoji is rhetorical here)
Old May 9, 2018, 3:25 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jazzsax
I would suggest this is a wait and see. WJ is announcing the 787 at a time to try distract from their labour dispute. Cost overruns in every new initiative, earnings downgrade, new CEO, a mess behind the scenes..

Pilots are peeved about Swoop and ready to strike, issues with pilot upgrades from which seats they're currently in and how long it's taking them to move up the ranks, who will fly the 787's, how they move between WJ / Encore / Swoop / etc. There are rumours behind the scenes WJ would throw the 787 under a different banner even or bargaining agreement to lower their costs. Pilots have zero appetite for that and are seriously ready to disrupt things.

And the irony... pilots are also supposedly moving to AC where the conditions are supposedly *better*. What does that tell you?
It tells me that WestJet will be out of business by next Saturday.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by yyznomad
If you're referring to AC, all of their 777s are now using the Dream Cabin config (e.g. "closed casket").

If you're referring to other airlines, LO is an example (out of several airlines) where their 787s in C/J are "open casket".
And 6-across seating where window occupants have to acrobatically manoeuvre over their neighbours to access the aisle.
24left, jc94 and longtimeflyin like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
A pick-up truck might not be a bad idea given Canadian winters.
Or just a snow plough for anything departing YYZ.

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Disappointed in the Premium Economy class........... there's no dedicated restrooms.... so either its shared w Y class or the whole debate if they could use J class
Same as every AC PY not on the 787/789 planes no?

AC has been taking away from PY for the last few years. I don’t seem that improving it by bringing back curtains or serving a decent 2nd meal or anything else that costs them money. AC PY is actually less bad economy.

Will be interesting to see what WSs is like TATL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.