Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Rouge PE (sometimes called “business “) v. WestJet PE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan 50K

I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison. There is often a huge price difference. Thanks.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
What aircraft and route? And are you looking at the full product including meals etc or just seats?

A rouge 319/321 within North America vs a WestJet 737 is a massive win for rouge.

If you're talking about 767s and longer flights, I've heard the WS 763 seats are more comfortable than rouge's.
And if you're comparing a 767 to a narrowbody... Not sure what to tell you without more info from you.
YOWCDNFF and flyquiet like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
A rouge 319/321 within North America vs a WestJet 737 is a massive win for rouge.
Can't really agree with that, especially given the fact rouge is often quite a bit more expensive than WS. in terms of ROI, WestJet Plus often trumps rouge premium or whatever they call it.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Can't really agree with that, especially given the fact rouge is often quite a bit more expensive than WS. in terms of ROI, WestJet Plus often trumps rouge premium or whatever they call it.
Is that a little dependent on how you get to Premium Rouge? I have flown it about 40 times in the past year, and have a 100% upgrade factor on it. I don't know anything about WS plus, so I am not qualified to answer. However, I have flown a lot of AC mainline narrow body J and I am happy flying either AC or ACr, in the front.
RangerNS and longtimeflyin like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
While partially route dependant, I’d have to say Rouge trumps WS Plus when we’re talking about up front. This is normally reflected in the prices.

Remember WS Plus is just a blocked middle seat with some extra leg room and what WS consider enhanced service didn’t seem great to me.

Meal selection was pretty poor domestically too. If AC does one thing better than other NA airlines it’s short haul food.

WS Plus is like bad PY. In my limited experience. Limited because I have limited desire to do it again.

In Y both options are miserable. Rouge possibly more so especially if you hit problems, AC have more
planes; but WS is known to have put people on AC flights.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jc94
While partially route dependant, I’d have to say Rouge trumps WS Plus when we’re talking about up front. This is normally reflected in the prices.

Remember WS Plus is just a blocked middle seat with some extra leg room and what WS consider enhanced service didn’t seem great to me.

Meal selection was pretty poor domestically too. If AC does one thing better than other NA airlines it’s short haul food.

WS Plus is like bad PY. In my limited experience. Limited because I have limited desire to do it again.

In Y both options are miserable. Rouge possibly more so especially if you hit problems, AC have more
planes; but WS is known to have put people on AC flights.
It all depends on aircraft.....

WS 737 Plus product is basically a blocked middle seat. Basically equivalent to a continental Europe business class seat.
WS 767 Plus is a Quants domestic or regional business class seat with a WS cover on it. It is comparable to the Rouge premium cabin (sold as Business domestically and premium economy overseas).

As far as food goes, well WS still has not figured out what it is doing. Over time it will figure it all out.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan 50K
Thanks for the info. I fly YYZ-BGI a lot in Rouge up front. In the past year the prices have skyrocketed, even off-season and several months out. WJ is the only option on this route.

Other Rouge routes (like YYZ-LAS) don’t seem to have the same price bump.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mlbmlb
Thanks for the info. I fly YYZ-BGI a lot in Rouge up front. In the past year the prices have skyrocketed, even off-season and several months out. WJ is the only option on this route.

Other Rouge routes (like YYZ-LAS) don’t seem to have the same price bump.
If you fly the route a lot, perhaps a Flight Pass is an option. I haven't looked to see what the FP to cover your destination would cost, but they certainly take the spike out of a last minute purchase.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
Even with the 30% recent reduction in a business class ticket for YSB-YYZ-BGI but still leaving a 30% increase over last years price, AC has lost these two passengers. 30% increase is a little bit much, especially on rouge.
WS is 25% cheaper than ACr for a Plus fare with essentially the same services (not sure if the meal is hot).

Last edited by Northern Canuck; May 9, 2018 at 7:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.