Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Travelling on Aeroplan rewards ticket Business Class ...do I have access to concierge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling on Aeroplan rewards ticket Business Class ...do I have access to concierge

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 8:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Clipper801
This is the "price" mutually agreed between AC and Aeroplan. This is not a "mistake fare". In fact, it is a "published fare". So how much AC actually gets, I don't care. I pay for a business class seat from A to B at the no. of Aeroplan points demanded, and I should be entitled to the same service as any other business class passengers. There is nothing complimentary about redeeming a business class reward seat. I "paid" what was demanded.
This is another issue with Aeroplan to agree to such arrangements.
Anyway, it's never AC's intention to allow non-SE to use the Concierge Service even if one is on a P or higher booking class. A good example is the Concierge office at the business check-in at YYZ. Non-SE's are specifically excluded and are not allowed to enter to seek assistance.
Different published fares have different published benefits though. For instance, some fares allow free SDC. Others do not. Someone who buys a Latitude ticket and upgrades it has also paid the published fare (Latitude fare + eUpgrades). A member of AC staff flying on a staff pass has also paid the published fare but exchanging their pass for a J seat.

AC has decided that the concierge, and the SSL, are not benefits provided to people who have purchased access to J seating via I or R "fares".

Originally Posted by pitz
Yes, but many points are never redeemed. The price per point actually redeemed is likely considerably higher.
I will let the cow argue with you about how much revenue AC receives from Aeroplan. But your estimates of breakage are way too high. Aimia estimates 13% as the breakage rate for Aeroplan miles.

However, Aimia also has substantial operating costs to cover and needs to generate a profit for itself. Its gross margin (i.e. revenues less cost of rewards) is about 40%.

I'm actually going to use a higher revenue number than the cow, since I seem to recall it coming out that Aeroplan was earning around $0.01 per point when the TD deal was announced. So let's just go with that, rather than cow's $0.008. But when you consider that Aeroplan is only spending about 60% of revenue on redemptions, that's 0.6 cents per mile. So your 75K J ticket to HKG is now generating more like $450 in revenue, plus YQ. Although of course I space is tightly controlled on international J, meaning a lot of J redemptions are probably done by SEs using IKK. And YQ is waived for SEs.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Clipper801
This is the "price" mutually agreed between AC and Aeroplan. This is not a "mistake fare". In fact, it is a "published fare". So how much AC actually gets, I don't care. I pay for a business class seat from A to B at the no. of Aeroplan points demanded, and I should be entitled to the same service as any other business class passengers. There is nothing complimentary about redeeming a business class reward seat. I "paid" what was demanded.
But as Adam said, different fares entitle you to different things.

You can buy BA, TG, FL, CO, or LT, or X for the Y cabin. In all cases, you've paid a fare (except X - that's not exactly a "fare" in the traditional sense). But they all entitle you to vastly different things. On the higher end, EL and EF fares also have different included benefits (one of which, Adam pointed out).

I probably mentioned this in the SS thread (but the logic and arguments there are identical to here), but my roommate booked a flight on Etihad (I think?). His outbound fare included a limo to the airport. His inbound did not. Both were paid J. But they were Etihad's equivalent of AC's D and P (or something like that). Different levels of J, with different things included.

AC is not the first to draw a line in J offerings, based on fare, and I doubt they'll be the last.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:28 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
...but my roommate booked a flight on Etihad (I think?). His outbound fare included a limo to the airport...
Slightly OT, but this man knows how to travel. Just sayin.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
I think you will soon see AC continue down this road of monetizing every single thing on board, if you redeemed a business class ticket using Aeroplan miles, you will be asked to use the bathroom in the back of economy class. You didn't pay for that special amenity called J class Lav which is very exclusive and private. As some here will say, "If you want to use the special Lav in J, you should pay for it by buying a J ticket, and Aeroplan J ticket doesn't count".
Clipper801 likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Different published fares have different published benefits though. For instance, some fares allow free SDC. Others do not. Someone who buys a Latitude ticket and upgrades it has also paid the published fare (Latitude fare + eUpgrades). A member of AC staff flying on a staff pass has also paid the published fare but exchanging their pass for a J seat.

AC has decided that the concierge, and the SSL, are not benefits provided to people who have purchased access to J seating via I or R "fares".
Except S100K has even expanded access to the concierge, regardless of their fare class.

I would like to see some kind of SSL access opened up for S100K, if only for +1 guest on I fares.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yvr76
....I would like to see some kind of SSL access opened up for S100K, if only for +1 guest on I fares.
I and others don't want that. Read some posts in the Signature Suite thread. There are now parts of the day where it is quite full.

More important than +1s is providing a similar benefit to the large number of paid J ex-YVR. There are many of them on many routes and huge spend out of there. Plus, the International MLL is now packed such that before my Asia flights, there were days where there was nowhere to sit on the main floor. And, if anyone is following the real estate boom in YUL, there are likely to be more paid J from there, and yet no Suite for them.

Anyway, the Suite is the other thread and none of us will agree.

As I and others have said more than once, AC decided where it wants to deploy its resources. It decided on the rather high $20,000 AQD requirement (relative to the US3 for e.g.), and it decided on where it will offer premium products and services. This includes the concierge.

And if one has read the posts by others on this forum, even those of us with access to the concierge by way of status, often we can't even reach them.

just saying......
Old May 7, 2018, 9:58 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left
More important than +1s is providing a similar benefit to the large number of paid J ex-YVR. There are many of them on many routes and huge spend out of there. Plus, the International MLL is now packed such that before my Asia flights, there were days where there was nowhere to sit on the main floor.
+1 to that.

About to cool my heels in the YVR International MLL and expect a moderately full house.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
End of the day there are airlines where travelling on a reward gives you pretty much the same as buying CDZP equivalent fares. Then there are airlines that won’t let you into the lounge without paying full J (and not CDZP).

Airlines make the rules. Some like em, some hate em. Abide and live with them or pick another airline. Vote with your wallet, nothing else will make AC care especially where there are limited alternatives.

There’s a few reasons I have a total of one AC booking at present. The above is one of them.
Clipper801 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.