Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada safety culture sincerely worries me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada safety culture sincerely worries me

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Do you know the defining differential, in aeronautical technical terms, between a hard landing and a crash? I don't, so I don't really know if it has been mis-classified.
I don't know about aeronautical terms, but in common sense terms "hard landings" tend to suggest the plane touched down on the runway.

"Crashes" tend to suggest the plane touched down elsewhere, such as in a field ... as AC624 did at YHZ.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if AC has a safety culture challenge but I do know that I have placed AC on my watch list......
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by The Lev
From the ABC article: "As part of our commitment to safety, we constantly monitor flight operations data"

But I thought we had an industry insider on this forum attempt to convince us that flight operations data (ie: FDR) was only ever analyzed in the event of an accident.

I'm speculating here, but perhaps the flight data at United is beamed back to company servers directly from the aircraft, whereas cockpit voice data remains on the recording device within the aircraft itself. Lending the "insider" the benefit of some doubt, is that what he meant by 'pulled the data only after an accident' - that they only physically access the recording device itself after a prang?
Regardless, I would advocate 24hr CVR capability and endorse reviewing it and FDR material after any incident deemed serious, irrespective of bent metal.
canadiancow and longtimeflyin like this.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; May 7, 2018 at 8:30 am
Old May 7, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
No. It doesn't matter if an airline is ULCC or first class seats only, they all are required to follow the same laws and regulations.
The regulations are the baseline requirement; these are fairly low bars to clear. Safety culture within each company - over and above the minimum standards - is what's at play here. One would expect Air Canada to be the leader in this country, and indeed within the global aviation community.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The reason why regulations and regulators exist is that customers do not always have the necessary information, nor the expertise, to make informed decisions on things like flight safety.
I'd argue the reason we have regs and regulators has little to do with the customer and everything to do with the tendency of many companies to do the least amount required when spending on items that don't directly contribute towards revenue. Safety management is a huge cost, one that must chomp a large bite out of profits. But as the old saying goes: "if you think safety is expensive, try having an accident".

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; May 7, 2018 at 8:57 am Reason: add reply to 2nd member
Old May 7, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by 24left
Oscar, OTOH, took a soaking
We're veering a bit from the topic, but I'd hardly call a voluntary measure as "took a soaking".

Last edited by tcook052; May 7, 2018 at 9:29 am Reason: off topic
Old May 7, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jagboi
No. It doesn't matter if an airline is ULCC or first class seats only, they all are required to follow the same laws and regulations.
I find that rather naive. Whether a business is regulated or not does not change the fact that they have to run at a profit or go out of business. If demand from the public is such that the airline cannot charge more for a seat in order to pay costs (including maintenance) and still maintain the profit that the shareholders expect, the outcome is inevitable. Corners will be cut.

The ;law says you shall never speed in your car. Does that mean you never speed? Laws only apply AFTER the fact, not before.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I find that rather naive. Whether a business is regulated or not does not change the fact that they have to run at a profit or go out of business. If demand from the public is such that the airline cannot charge more for a seat in order to pay costs (including maintenance) and still maintain the profit that the shareholders expect, the outcome is inevitable. Corners will be cut.

The ;law says you shall never speed in your car. Does that mean you never speed? Laws only apply AFTER the fact, not before.
Uh, no. The law applies at all times. The penalty for not abiding by the law applies after the law is broken (ie - "after the fact"). Bit difficult to break a law that doesn't apply at the time of the infraction.

If a business cannot run profitably within the confines of the law and regulations, it should not be in the business. One would have to be downright daft to argue that a business should be allowed to break laws to remain profitable.

In any event, the fallacy of your argument is evident in the poorly reasoned logic underlying it. If maximizing profit is the sole aim, why would airlines behave differently even if pax pay more. The profit-maximizing benefits of cutting corners don't disappear if pax pay more - if anything, they ensure even greater profits.

If airlines can't provide safe products, profitably or otherwise, they should get out of the business and maybe try their hand at whatever (apparently unregulated) field you're in.

Old May 7, 2018, 9:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by yulred
If airlines can't provide safe products, profitably or otherwise, they should get out of the business and maybe try their hand at whatever (apparently unregulated) field you're in.
It is also worth noting that airlines themselves do have interest in ensuring that accidents do not occur (especially fatal ones) because a headline such as "Air Canada 787 carrying 300 people crashes into side of mountain killing all crew and passengers" is a sure fire way to not only tank the stock price but also reputation and future sales. So it is worth reiterating that while regulatory bodies are there to help improve passenger safety, the airlines also have some skin in the game as well. Slightly off topic, but as one example Southwest Airlines recently announced their sales have decreased since that uncontained jet engine failure.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Unsurprisingly folks this thread is wandered all over the aviation landscape from UA topics to pilot fatigue which has already been under discussion for some time in this thread to rehashing and adding to the SFO incident which is also being discussed in a separate thread here so let's stick to this thread topic more closely. I understand if certain matters are mention in passing however sidebar conversations about other airlines or detailed debates about specific events belong in the appropriate thread within this forum.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.

Edited to add after the deletion of a few posts let's also drop the personal invective and stick to discussing the thread topic and not other posters

Last edited by tcook052; May 7, 2018 at 10:24 am
Old May 7, 2018, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I don't know about aeronautical terms, but in common sense terms "hard landings" tend to suggest the plane touched down on the runway.

"Crashes" tend to suggest the plane touched down elsewhere, such as in a field ... as AC624 did at YHZ.
For the record, you can crash on a runway too.

After a hard landing, the plane will (eventually) fly again. 624 was not a hard landing.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
From the ABC article: "As part of our commitment to safety, we constantly monitor flight operations data"

But I thought we had an industry insider on this forum attempt to convince us that flight operations data (ie: FDR) was only ever analyzed in the event of an accident.

I'm speculating here, but perhaps the flight data at United is beamed back to company servers directly from the aircraft, whereas cockpit voice data remains on the recording device within the aircraft itself. Lending the "insider" the benefit of some doubt, is that what he meant by 'pulled the data only after an accident' - that they only physically access the recording device itself after a prang?
Regardless, I would advocate 24hr CVR capability and endorse reviewing it and FDR material after any incident deemed serious, irrespective of bent metal.
I can't remember the last time we've agreed on so much.

Though I disagree on 24 hours. How about 7 days. Or 7 months.
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by After Burner
The 7M8s are all being equipped with HUD technology. One of the functions of the HUD is to alert the pilot if the aircraft is not aligned with the runway. If the information I was given is correct, acquisition of the HUD option was done as a direct result of the SFO incident. It wasn't part of the original sweet deal with Boeing and I'm told Boeing made AC pay a huge price for it.
Well then, there goes some of the justification for the procurement decision

I'm no industry insider, but I understand there are certain types of telemetry automatically and routinely sent from aircraft to operators. Surely cockpit voice recordings -- the main point of contention in the other thread -- aren't part of the "flight operations data" that United constantly monitors.

That being said, I fully agree with you and @canadiancow that there should be a much, much longer recording window on the CVR. The pilots' union's privacy concerns shouldn't trump safety.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Symmetre
An aircraft can crash onto the runway.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
624 was not a hard landing.
Tell that to AC.

Originally Posted by The Lev
An aircraft can crash onto the runway.
Absolutely agreed. My point was to note that a "hard landing" is usually something that occurs when the plane touches down on the actual runway ... as opposed to the AC624 experience of flying the plane into the ground and having most of it only arrive on the runway after plowing its way up an embankment, through some hydro lines and careening off the localizer antenna. The fact AC continues to downplay this incident - and two the incidents in SFO - significantly impacts my opinion about their overall safety culture.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:40 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Re the whole "hard landing" vs "crash", didn't someone point out, in the early days of the YHZ thread, that the elegant solution was to call it a "crash landing"? Best of both worlds, really.

I'd argue the reason we have regs and regulators has little to do with the customer and everything to do with the tendency of many companies to do the least amount required when spending on items that don't directly contribute towards revenue. Safety management is a huge cost, one that must chomp a large bite out of profits. But as the old saying goes: "if you think safety is expensive, try having an accident".
I think you missed the point. In dulciusexasperis's Friedman-esque world, there would be no need for regulations because customers would do sufficient due diligence on safety records such that bad operators would go out of business while safer ones would prosper. I pointed out that such a scenario isn't realistic, and therefore we have people like Transport Canada to monitor AC.
Symmetre likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by After Burner
I think AC deserves some credit, given how much they are spending on technology designed to prevent another SFO type of incident. The fact they've committed to such a large expenditure suggests they're taking safety seriously. That's a good sign.

Of course, cynically speaking, it shouldn't have required the nearly disastrous SFO incident to make AC decide to take this costly measure. Money spent on safety technology is always well-spent (IMO).
While I'm happy to hear that pilots are getting more technology at their fingertips, the incident details available thus far seem to indicate that lack of awareness, alertness and critical thinking rather than lack of proper instrumentation were involved in this occurrence. Technology may help to mitigate those underlying issues but I would like to know that AC is taking actions to address the human performance issues as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.