Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Possible actions when Air Canada denies clothing damage without convincing arguments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible actions when Air Canada denies clothing damage without convincing arguments

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K / *A Gold

Hello all,

I have been exchanging emails since a while with an AC customer service rep about an issue I had. Would appreciate if anyone who already went through a similar situation could help.

Flying J YYZ-PVG, I had the table in fully retracted and locked position below the PE screen, and a glass of wine resting on it. The table collapsed without me even brushing against it, topples the wine glass and it spills all over me. I don't do a scene on the plane, FA and SD very supportive, also telling me they have been "telling the company over and over about this problem and it never gets fixed". I'm at the start of a several weeks trip in China. I get to the hotel, get the clothes cleaned through the laundry service.

Back in Canada, I file my expense report and decide to ask AC for compensation. Very reasonable claim, the laundry fees for only the clothes I was wearing on the flight, 40 bucks or so... I get right away a quite condescending answer saying I filed too late, so nothing AC can do. I fly a lot with AC, easily spends $20,000 per year, so I'm thinking I should be taken a bit more seriously. I request escalation to other rep, to no avail. I ask the rep to show me where in the conditions of carriage the delay to file a claim is mentioned. I get cited article 31 of the Montreal convention, 7 days max. However, article 31 mentions 7 days as the max delay to make a claim in case of checked luggage damage. I reply to the agent that the clothes on my body are not checked luggage. I another reply that they are denying the claim, there's nothing I can do about it and that I need to stop emailing them, it won't make them change their mind.

What's left as options? Is it worth it to escalate the issue, and if so, how?

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Don't the SD's usually have some sort of card / claim form for cases like this if it happens on board? I might be confused but I recall hearing something similar.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

I though so too, I was expecting to get one when I complained to the SD, but I didn't. Spur of the moment, didn't think about asking for one. I regret not doing it now.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Are you an SE?
Old May 4, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

I'm 50K but high spender.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Small claims court.

Claims:

1) Damages = _. (not just the dry cleaning bill). Any impact to your bottom line, your business? Seek them
2) An order for pre-judgment and post-judgment interest pursuant to sections 128 and 129 of the Courts of Justice Act;
3) An Order that the Defendant pay costs to the Plaintiff on a substantial indemnity basis;
4) Such further and other relied as counsel may advise and this Honourable Court permit; (if you are retaining counsel, which is not usual in small claims court)

These are just claims (eg asks) and it's unlikely you will get costs, but you might as well ask.

You will settle but that's the only way to get AC's attention.

This will cost you $95 to file this if you are an infrequent claimant and if you choose to use a process server another $40.
winch likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: Free Agent
OP- did you use the online form to report the incident? I have made different claims via this form-even referencing the green compensation form you could/should have requested on board. At least the form gives you a file number you can reference if you do then phone in or email.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
i was SHOCKED i filled out the online claim form 2 weeks ago and AC replied in 72 hours with $500 for deflating seat. So perhaps AC has started to improve its customer complaints department after Gabor has created a web site showing people how to get AC to pay for "issues"
Regardless its a very positive step that AC is no longer saying please wait for 90 days.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canolakid
OP- did you use the online form to report the incident? I have made different claims via this form-even referencing the green compensation form you could/should have requested on board. At least the form gives you a file number you can reference if you do then phone in or email.
i did use the online form. No green compensation form since I wasn’t clever enough to get it onboard. Should a call to customer service, referencing the online form/file number be my next most appropriate step?
Old May 5, 2018, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flybit
i was SHOCKED i filled out the online claim form 2 weeks ago and AC replied in 72 hours with $500 for deflating seat. So perhaps AC has started to improve its customer complaints department after Gabor has created a web site showing people how to get AC to pay for "issues"
Regardless its a very positive step that AC is no longer saying please wait for 90 days.
Congrats! This was my first time EVER claiming anything with AC. Can’t say I'm impressed...
Old May 5, 2018, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Small claims court.

Claims:

1) Damages = _. (not just the dry cleaning bill). Any impact to your bottom line, your business? Seek them
2) An order for pre-judgment and post-judgment interest pursuant to sections 128 and 129 of the Courts of Justice Act;
3) An Order that the Defendant pay costs to the Plaintiff on a substantial indemnity basis;
4) Such further and other relied as counsel may advise and this Honourable Court permit; (if you are retaining counsel, which is not usual in small claims court)

These are just claims (eg asks) and it's unlikely you will get costs, but you might as well ask.

This will cost you $95 to file this if you are an infrequent claimant and if you choose to use a process server another $40.
interesting option... I'm clearly no longer figthing for the cash compensation, now it has become a matter of principle. Should I revert to ON or QC courts? (Flight originated in YYZ, but AC has HQ in YUL)

anyone aware if AC retaliates on you after a lawsuit (heard about status being withdraw, maybe not with AC)
Old May 6, 2018, 5:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by winch

interesting option... I'm clearly no longer figthing for the cash compensation, now it has become a matter of principle. Should I revert to ON or QC courts? (Flight originated in YYZ, but AC has HQ in YUL)

anyone aware if AC retaliates on you after a lawsuit (heard about status being withdraw, maybe not with AC)
You should be able to use either
Old May 6, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Small claims court.

Claims:

What a total waste of time and effort over $40 laundry bill.
Often1 and JordanYVR like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It was not important to enough to ask for an onboard card. What has made it such a "matter of principle" later?

OP would likely have had his cleaning bill covered (or something approximating it) and never given a second's thought to it.

I would forget about "principle" because there is none. Whatever OP might recover, it won't change AC's conduct, so this is just about the cleaner.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mapleg
What a total waste of time and effort over $40 laundry bill.
Pretty clear to me AC started this.
worldtraveller73 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.