FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Question: Aeroplan First Class Routing from Toronto to MLE (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1907020-aeroplan-first-class-routing-toronto-mle.html)

mjrobson May 1, 2018 8:12 am

Aeroplan First Class Routing from Toronto to MLE

I am looking to cash in for my first real F trip in ~April 2019 for our anniversary, heading to the Maldives from Toronto. We normally fly J, so we have no F cabin experience on any airline. I was trying to get 3-4 different F cabins into the route with lengthy flying time.

I am looking to see if anyone has any interesting routing suggestions I can play around with. I have given up hope finding *A all the way without wasting 3 days there and 2 days back as the SIN to MLE flight times are terrible and AP can't book Silk.

I am currently looking at booking to BKK (i know it's actually an extra 5k per person!!) and flying to MLE with Bangkok Air as it "looks" like it has good some good route options with decent availability and gets us there in the AM +2 to catch a sea plane.

Sun: YYZ -> ORD (J or X) 1h 45m+
AC503: 08:00 a.m. - 08:47 a.m.
Sun: ORD -> NRT (F) 777 0 13hr 20m+
NH11 ORD 10:25 a.m. NRT 14:45 p.m. +1
Mon: NRT-BKK (F) A380 6h 30m+
TG677: 17:30 p.m. - 22:30 p.m.
+
Tues: BKK-MLE
PG711 9:20 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.

And:

MLE-BKK
BK 12:40 PM – 7:20 PM
+
BKK-MUC
TG924 12:50 AM – 7:05 AM (F) 747 11h 15m
MUC-YYZ
AC847 11:50 AM – 2:45 PM (J)

The YQ is disgusting with the AC return... We could fly back the same way we came, but it would be nice to experience something different. I know there is a possibility of getting the 10 seat TG 747 on BKK-MUC... It seems like it gets swapped into the route a few times a month.

Possibly changing the return to OZ F BKK-ICN-LAX-YYZ if they comes back in 2019 or to something like this when LH opens up @ 14 days:

BKK-PEK-FRA
CA 1:00 AM – 6:20 AM
LH 10:30 AM – 3:00 PM
AC 5:10 PM – 7:25 PM

Trying to get there in the morning +2 and get home anytime +1.

If anyone has any interesting BKK routing suggestions or other possible route suggestions to look into, I would love to hear about it!

EK F YYZ-DXB-MLE is definitely the best way to get there, but that really isn't an option!

Thanks!

grandgourmand May 1, 2018 11:08 am

I haven't looked for availability, but have seen 2 seats available in the past on NH. they have a lot of routes in the US, and I've found IAD and ORD to be pretty easy to locate seats. You could do something like IAD/ORD to NRT then connect to TG in F to BKK. Buy a ticket to MLE from there (Thai AirAsia has a pretty good schedule out of DMK)...not F, but it's convenient.

mjrobson May 1, 2018 11:26 am

Indeed! That is what I was planning to book right now for the departure leg, but was going to book Bangkok Air from BKK instead of Air Asia from DMK for convenience

+

rankourabu May 1, 2018 11:37 am

We booked PVG-DOH-MLE on QR Qsuites for 40k AA miles recently - a great addition to a TPAC F trip if you have AA miles
Then MLE-SIN we booked on Scoot (convenient evening departure, sign up to their newsletter for 40% off - worked out CAD150 incl luggage). Then you can continue SIN-NRT-USA on NH (or OZ if you wish) F, avoid scamcharges and wasting miles on AC TATL J.

grandgourmand May 1, 2018 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by mjrobson (Post 29703651)
Indeed! That is what I was planning to book right now for the departure leg, but was going to book Bangkok Air from BKK instead of Air Asia from DMK for convenience

+

Sorry, my bad. I clearly didn't read your post. But hey...I obviously liked what you have planned for the outbound.

For the inbound...if you want to go F, you could try to position from Hong Kong. I just looked for Monday the 7th.. 2 seats on LH to FRA in F = $130 in YQ. 2 seats were also available from BLR and BOM...YQ was $750. YOu have to get back to YYZ, but I didn't look at the TATL bit.

What you shoudl do is a placeholder RT flight. Then if a better option comes around (like T-14 days) suck it up pay the $100 re-booking fee and make the change.

mjrobson May 2, 2018 7:39 am

That's what I am thinking....

Either booking:

BKK-NRT-ORD-YYZ again or BKK-MUC-YYZ as a place holder on the return and trying to find something along the lines of these 3 options:

1) Replace the MUC-YYZ to something on LH F
MUC-LAX/JFK/IAD/SFO-YYZ
or
MUC-FRA-BOS/EWR/JFK/MEX/IAD-YYZ

Also set an alert to change to BKK-FRA on TG or LH

2)
BKK-PEK TG
PEK-FRA LH
with
FRA-YYZ AC
or
FRA-ORD LH
ORD-YYZ UA

3)
MLE-BLR AI
BLR - FRA LH
FRA route to YYZ
or
BLR-DEL AI
DEL-FRA LH

Although with 3, I am not sure if the open jaw would be allowed and we would have already booked the return to BKK at that point.

rankourabu May 2, 2018 8:45 am

Seriously, consider SIN (or KUL) if you are buying a ticket from MLE anyway. SIN-NRT has F.
Why would you fly via India and attempt a connection in BLR.

mjrobson May 2, 2018 9:14 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 29707019)
Seriously, consider SIN (or KUL) if you are buying a ticket from MLE anyway. SIN-NRT has F.
Why would you fly via India and attempt a connection in BLR.

Hrm! I didn't think you could get SQ F...

Does that route ever have availability? I don't see anything.

ced_lx May 2, 2018 10:04 am

not with aeroplan. Even J awards have lots of restrictions for partner airlines.

rankourabu May 2, 2018 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mjrobson (Post 29707140)
Hrm! I didn't think you could get SQ F...

Does that route ever have availability? I don't see anything.

ANA not SQ (it may be HND), but I know last year they had F to SIN.
However SQ has readily avaialable SIN-CGK in F, even for Aeroplan members, if you want to tick another one off the list, you can then continue CGK-BKK on TG J to catch your TG F flight.

mjrobson May 2, 2018 11:57 am

I will look at the CGK route option, possibly NRT-CGK-SIN and SIN-CGK-BKK

NRT-SIN moved to all 787s, so no more F there unfortunately :(.

rankourabu May 2, 2018 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by mjrobson (Post 29707774)
I will look at the CGK route option, possibly NRT-CGK-SIN and SIN-CGK-BKK

NRT-SIN moved to all 787s, so no more F there unfortunately :(.

You are better off flying to BKK, and taking the PG flight - it will arrive during the day, the nonstops on Scoot from SIN will arrive in the evening.
On the return the Scoot flight arrives in SIN in the morning, and then you can enjoy the SQ F private room before going onto CGK.

JordanYVR May 2, 2018 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 29707830)
You are better off flying to BKK, and taking the PG flight - it will arrive during the day, the nonstops on Scoot from SIN will arrive in the evening.
On the return the Scoot flight arrives in SIN in the morning, and then you can enjoy the SQ F private room before going onto CGK.

I can second this - the PG flight is not bad, but the main benefit is that the time is reasonable. The late arrivals on most of the other options result in a wasted night in MLE.

Made this trek in January, but in J not F.

mjrobson May 18, 2018 8:31 am

Aeroplan is at it again...!

I was going to book the outbound leg for Apr 9th.. No issues with YYZ-ORD (J) ORD-NRT (F), but all of the TG flights are gone!!!! The only day of the week, starting April 1st, that has TG F NRT to BKK is Saturday. The only day of the week with TG J is Wednesday @ 9:40am..

Seriously... Sometimes I wonder why I bother...

ChrisA330 May 18, 2018 8:45 am

Originally Posted by mjrobson (Post 29768248)
Aeroplan is at it again...!

I was going to book the outbound leg for Apr 9th.. No issues with YYZ-ORD (J) ORD-NRT (F), but all of the TG flights are gone!!!! The only day of the week, starting April 1st, that has TG F NRT to BKK is Saturday. The only day of the week with TG J is Wednesday @ 9:40am..

Seriously... Sometimes I wonder why I bother...

I fail to understand how this Aeroplan's issue? They don't control inventory on other airlines, and these flights aren't available at all, it's not limited to Aeroplan.
You could book NRT-BKK on NH on J, and keep watching for F space on TG.

It also looks like there is F space on IAD-NRT across multiple dates at the beginning of April, which may work for you.