Air Canada to Add a New MLL at YXE

Old Sep 23, 18, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
Do AC/Star Alliance have any guidelines when it comes to new MLLs?
There are no new or different guidelines to what already exists for MLLs and AC/*A.
Old Sep 23, 18, 8:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Nice to know its worth visiting! Looks like a big improvement over YQR.
Do AC/Star Alliance have any guidelines when it comes to new MLLs? Why YXE and not YYJ? YQM?
YXE does have a few large corporate head offices. Federated Co-Op, Potash Corp plus the Uranium companies. I know Federated has WestJet as its preferred airline. Not certain about the others.
Old Sep 24, 18, 11:58 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I am in this lounge right now and I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised. I really thought it would be more like YQR. There are lots of windows, so it is very bright. The power is currently out at the airport, so that does present a bit of a problem. The airport Manager came in and explained that it was a supply issue. Hopefully SaskPower is working on it.

The lounge attendant came out from behind the desk to open the door for me. There are 2 contract staff working on the supplies. It's pretty nice in here.
Old Sep 25, 18, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life View Post
I am in this lounge right now and I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised. I really thought it would be more like YQR. There are lots of windows, so it is very bright. The power is currently out at the airport, so that does present a bit of a problem. The airport Manager came in and explained that it was a supply issue. Hopefully SaskPower is working on it.

The lounge attendant came out from behind the desk to open the door for me. There are 2 contract staff working on the supplies. It's pretty nice in here.
Critical question to ask about all airport lounges. Is the coffee machine on emergency generator? Some may place the beer dispensing equipment higher up but I think the coffee maker is a higher priority.
Old Sep 27, 18, 11:21 am

Programs: AC*100K, HHonors Diamond
Maybe itís just my bad luck - but the coffee machine Is broken again this morning. Off to Timmies
Old Sep 27, 18, 11:27 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by dinotoon View Post
Maybe it’s just my bad luck - but the coffee machine Is broken again this morning. Off to Timmies
At least it's a short walk! Mind you, isn't everything in YXE (expect the rental cars)?
Old Sep 27, 18, 11:39 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm kind of surprised by this new lounge opening. I travel to YXE about once or twice a year to visit family so I am reasonably familiar with the airport. As someone who pretty much always goes to the lounge rather than wait in the public areas of an airport terminal, I don't really see the point of this lounge outside of a place to access wifi and use a table to write or use a laptop. I'm not fan of Tim Hortons, but it seems as if this lounge doesn't offer much more than that which cold be purchased for a few dollars there. Saskatoon is not a busy airport, so you don't have to arrive hours before your flight to go through security. It would be handy if your flight was delayed, but I can't imagine the average visitor spending all that much time there.
Old Sep 27, 18, 11:42 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by gspurr View Post
I'm kind of surprised by this new lounge opening. I travel to YXE about once or twice a year to visit family so I am reasonably familiar with the airport. As someone who pretty much always goes to the lounge rather than wait in the public areas of an airport terminal, I don't really see the point of this lounge outside of a place to access wifi and use a table to write or use a laptop. I'm not fan of Tim Hortons, but it seems as if this lounge doesn't offer much more than that which cold be purchased for a few dollars there. Saskatoon is not a busy airport, so you don't have to arrive hours before your flight to go through security. It would be handy if your flight was delayed, but I can't imagine the average visitor spending all that much time there.
+1
Old Sep 27, 18, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
It's useful for connections.
Old Sep 27, 18, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, HH-G
Nice but no toilets inside lounge!
Old Nov 29, 18, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott PLAT, Accor/Fairmont PLAT, AMEX PLAT (Priority Pass)
review from recent visit

Due to a 2 h IRROP, I had a lengthy stay this month. Small & narrow (i.e. smaller than EWR). Crowded. Estimating 40-50 seats. 2 computers, one networked printer. Very bright (as others have suggested). One (working) specialty coffee machine
The staff (3) are extraordinarly helpful. On the negative side, there are no daily papers and no magazines. The buffet food is the usual soup, salad, etc.
The MLL closes when the last AC flight leaves (18)?). Normal.
This suggestion is IMO incorrect:
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
I am surprised they said Gate 5 in the press release. That is a weird place for it..
Gate 5 is directly opposite the YYZ & YVR gates. How is that be weird?? Moreover, it is adjacent to one of the two food outlets a k a Tim Horton's!
I too wondered why YXE? The answer (IMO) is clear. The terminal is new and has tons of space. This MLL takes up very little space. Its as simple as that.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 29, 18 at 10:16 am Reason: fix quote
Old Nov 29, 18, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Due to a 2 h IRROP, I had a lengthy stay this month. Small & narrow (i.e. smaller than EWR). Crowded. Estimating 40-50 seats. 2 computers, one networked printer. Very bright (as others have suggested). One (working) specialty coffee machine
The staff (3) are extraordinarly helpful. On the negative side, there are no daily papers and no magazines. The buffet food is the usual soup, salad, etc.
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
I am surprised they said Gate 5 in the press release. That is a weird place for it..
Gate 5 is directly opposite the YYZ & YVR gates. How is that be weird?? Moreover, it is adjacent to one of the two food outlets a k a Tim Horton's!
I too wondered why YXE? The answer (IMO) is clear. The terminal is new and has tons of space. This MLL takes up very little space. Its as simple as that.

Thanks for the update!

Is the alcohol the same as other MLLs?
Old Nov 29, 18, 10:37 am

I was living in Saskatoon at the time of the last terminal expansion. At that time the floor layout the airport authority put out had a new airline lounge in the location where the Starbucks is now. That is a good location in that there is also a small washroom that would be in the lounge. The only problem is there was no airline interested. A plaza premium lounge would have been a great fit.