Air Canada to Add a New MLL at YXE

Reply

Old Sep 23, 18, 1:21 pm
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Posts: 26,081
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
Do AC/Star Alliance have any guidelines when it comes to new MLLs?
There are no new or different guidelines to what already exists for MLLs and AC/*A.
yyznomad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 18, 8:03 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 996
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
Nice to know its worth visiting! Looks like a big improvement over YQR.
Do AC/Star Alliance have any guidelines when it comes to new MLLs? Why YXE and not YYJ? YQM?
YXE does have a few large corporate head offices. Federated Co-Op, Potash Corp plus the Uranium companies. I know Federated has WestJet as its preferred airline. Not certain about the others.
Fiordland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 11:58 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YEG
Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,900
I am in this lounge right now and I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised. I really thought it would be more like YQR. There are lots of windows, so it is very bright. The power is currently out at the airport, so that does present a bit of a problem. The airport Manager came in and explained that it was a supply issue. Hopefully SaskPower is working on it.

The lounge attendant came out from behind the desk to open the door for me. There are 2 contract staff working on the supplies. It's pretty nice in here.
YEG_SE4Life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 18, 1:54 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 996
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life View Post
I am in this lounge right now and I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised. I really thought it would be more like YQR. There are lots of windows, so it is very bright. The power is currently out at the airport, so that does present a bit of a problem. The airport Manager came in and explained that it was a supply issue. Hopefully SaskPower is working on it.

The lounge attendant came out from behind the desk to open the door for me. There are 2 contract staff working on the supplies. It's pretty nice in here.
Critical question to ask about all airport lounges. Is the coffee machine on emergency generator? Some may place the beer dispensing equipment higher up but I think the coffee maker is a higher priority.
Fiordland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 18, 11:21 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: YXE
Programs: AC*100K, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 163
Maybe itís just my bad luck - but the coffee machine Is broken again this morning. Off to Timmies
dinotoon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 18, 11:27 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 1,661
Originally Posted by dinotoon View Post
Maybe it’s just my bad luck - but the coffee machine Is broken again this morning. Off to Timmies
At least it's a short walk! Mind you, isn't everything in YXE (expect the rental cars)?
Bohemian1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 18, 11:39 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 515
I'm kind of surprised by this new lounge opening. I travel to YXE about once or twice a year to visit family so I am reasonably familiar with the airport. As someone who pretty much always goes to the lounge rather than wait in the public areas of an airport terminal, I don't really see the point of this lounge outside of a place to access wifi and use a table to write or use a laptop. I'm not fan of Tim Hortons, but it seems as if this lounge doesn't offer much more than that which cold be purchased for a few dollars there. Saskatoon is not a busy airport, so you don't have to arrive hours before your flight to go through security. It would be handy if your flight was delayed, but I can't imagine the average visitor spending all that much time there.
gspurr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 18, 11:42 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 1,661
Originally Posted by gspurr View Post
I'm kind of surprised by this new lounge opening. I travel to YXE about once or twice a year to visit family so I am reasonably familiar with the airport. As someone who pretty much always goes to the lounge rather than wait in the public areas of an airport terminal, I don't really see the point of this lounge outside of a place to access wifi and use a table to write or use a laptop. I'm not fan of Tim Hortons, but it seems as if this lounge doesn't offer much more than that which cold be purchased for a few dollars there. Saskatoon is not a busy airport, so you don't have to arrive hours before your flight to go through security. It would be handy if your flight was delayed, but I can't imagine the average visitor spending all that much time there.
+1
Bohemian1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 18, 9:21 pm
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,035
It's useful for connections.
canadiancow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 18, 9:53 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YUL
Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, HH-G
Posts: 1,189
Nice but no toilets inside lounge!
Prestige is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 18, 8:29 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott PLAT, Accor/Fairmont PLAT, AMEX PLAT (Priority Pass)
Posts: 2,891
review from recent visit

Due to a 2 h IRROP, I had a lengthy stay this month. Small & narrow (i.e. smaller than EWR). Crowded. Estimating 40-50 seats. 2 computers, one networked printer. Very bright (as others have suggested). One (working) specialty coffee machine
The staff (3) are extraordinarly helpful. On the negative side, there are no daily papers and no magazines. The buffet food is the usual soup, salad, etc.
The MLL closes when the last AC flight leaves (18)?). Normal.
This suggestion is IMO incorrect:
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
I am surprised they said Gate 5 in the press release. That is a weird place for it..
Gate 5 is directly opposite the YYZ & YVR gates. How is that be weird?? Moreover, it is adjacent to one of the two food outlets a k a Tim Horton's!
I too wondered why YXE? The answer (IMO) is clear. The terminal is new and has tons of space. This MLL takes up very little space. Its as simple as that.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 29, 18 at 10:16 am Reason: fix quote
Antonio8069 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 18, 9:05 am
  #42  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Posts: 26,081
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
Due to a 2 h IRROP, I had a lengthy stay this month. Small & narrow (i.e. smaller than EWR). Crowded. Estimating 40-50 seats. 2 computers, one networked printer. Very bright (as others have suggested). One (working) specialty coffee machine
The staff (3) are extraordinarly helpful. On the negative side, there are no daily papers and no magazines. The buffet food is the usual soup, salad, etc.
The MLL closes when the last AC flight leaves (18)?). Normal.
This suggestion is IMO incorrect:
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
I am surprised they said Gate 5 in the press release. That is a weird place for it..
Gate 5 is directly opposite the YYZ & YVR gates. How is that be weird?? Moreover, it is adjacent to one of the two food outlets a k a Tim Horton's!
I too wondered why YXE? The answer (IMO) is clear. The terminal is new and has tons of space. This MLL takes up very little space. Its as simple as that.


Thanks for the update!

Is the alcohol the same as other MLLs?
yyznomad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 18, 10:37 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 996
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
Due to a 2 h IRROP, I had a lengthy stay this month. Small & narrow (i.e. smaller than EWR). Crowded. Estimating 40-50 seats. 2 computers, one networked printer. Very bright (as others have suggested). One (working) specialty coffee machine
The staff (3) are extraordinarly helpful. On the negative side, there are no daily papers and no magazines. The buffet food is the usual soup, salad, etc.
The MLL closes when the last AC flight leaves (18)?). Normal.
This suggestion is IMO incorrect:

Gate 5 is directly opposite the YYZ & YVR gates. How is that be weird?? Moreover, it is adjacent to one of the two food outlets a k a Tim Horton's!
I too wondered why YXE? The answer (IMO) is clear. The terminal is new and has tons of space. This MLL takes up very little space. Its as simple as that.
I was living in Saskatoon at the time of the last terminal expansion. At that time the floor layout the airport authority put out had a new airline lounge in the location where the Starbucks is now. That is a good location in that there is also a small washroom that would be in the lounge. The only problem is there was no airline interested. A plaza premium lounge would have been a great fit.
Fiordland is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: