Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada boots woman from plane due to rash.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ious-rash.html

Edmonton woman says Air Canada booted her off flight due to non-contagious rash

Jeanne Lehman says she was humiliated and was not treated like a first-class citizen after the airline deemed her rash was contagious at a Halifax airport.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Saw this in this morning's National Post. What more could AC do - they sent her to hospital for medical opinion, paid for hotel and food, and sent her
home the next day upgraded to J class?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Saw this in this morning's National Post. What more could AC do - they sent her to hospital for medical opinion, paid for hotel and food, and sent her
I'm torn on this issue. On the one hand, I can see Air Canada's viewpoint, and their decision to exercise caution for the safety of other passengers. On the other hand, one of the main reasons Air Canada did what they did was because it was a visible 'issue' that they believed required further diagnosis/medical opinion. How about the many travelers who fly who shouldn't fly (from a medical perspective) who have hidden 'issues'? How is it fair to the woman in question when a bunch of us fly sick, etc.?
mromalley likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
It is unfortunate that this lady did not acquire a letter from the Dr., in anticipation of her flight. That may have helped.
mromalley and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
According to the article she was seated in first class. Very impressive.

I guess IF the article is 100% accurate they could have been a little more discrete but other than that ..
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:47 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Was the woman with the gloves a doctor of any kind? Would love to know who at AC deemed it contagious, really hope for their sake it was a doctor.

They seem to have handled it OK if it was indeed an MD that made that call.

Not barking it out in front of the other passengers would have been more tactful, but well, AC and tact don't really belong in the same sentence usually.
jc94 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Was the woman with the gloves a doctor of any kind? Would love to know who at AC deemed it contagious, really hope for their sake it was a doctor.

Not barking it out in front of the other passengers would have been more tactful, but well, AC and tact don't really belong in the same sentence usually.
One doesn't have to be a doctor to make the call however it is fair to ask if the Air Canada employee in question had sufficient medical training to make a diagnosis or at the very least a decision like that.

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
It is unfortunate that this lady did not acquire a letter from the Dr., in anticipation of her flight. That may have helped.
While I most certainly agree, I am counting down the number of seconds before someone posts a 'victim shaming' post since this is the beloved Flyertalk board.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jc94

According to the article she was seated in first class. Very impressive.

I guess IF the article is 100% accurate they could have been a little more discrete but other than that ..
How could the article be 100% accurate, if it states she was in AC First Class?

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Apr 28, 2018 at 10:52 am
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar

Did the AC employee say she was contagious, or is that one passengers take on the situation? If the AC staff has no way to know whether the passenger has a contagious illness or not, what should the default be? Trust the passenger's word, when that passenger doesn't even know what is causing the illness, or lean towards the protection of the other passengers?

I am not blaming the lady with the rash. I am simply stating that, with only the visual evidence, this SD was in a tough spot.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:40 am

How could the article be 100% accurate, if it states she was in AC First Class?
And there we have it. Thread done. Mods can close.

It is the Star too. We need CBC for some better accuracy
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by jc94

And there we have it. Thread done. Mods can close.

It is the Star too. We need CBC for some better accuracy
I forgot the emoji. My comment was meant to be funny. All fixed.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Did the AC employee say she was contagious, or is that one passengers take on the situation? If the AC staff has no way to know whether the passenger has a contagious illness or not, what should the default be? Trust the passenger's word, when that passenger doesn't even know what is causing the illness, or lean towards the protection of the other passengers?

I am not blaming the lady with the rash. I am simply stating that, with only the visual evidence, this SD was in a tough spot.
I thought the inflight crew had access to some service manned by medical professionals that they call when in flight for advise on handling medical conditions. Would the same service not be able to provide a remote opinion?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
According to my wife, the ER nurse:

"Shingles is contagious via air if in a large area (2 or more dermatomes) versus by touch if pustules are open and weeping but area is small. With her eye swollen shut, it's likely that 2 or more dermatomes were infected. That lady needed a MD note to fly. They probably could have done things more politely/privately but she shouldn't have been able to fly without clearance. Better they be cautious and piss someone off than endanger infants, immuno-compromised people or adults that have never had chicken pox. An adult that gets chicken pox likely gets admitted to ICU - way more dangerous than getting chicken pox as a child."
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I thought the inflight crew had access to some service manned by medical professionals that they call when in flight for advise on handling medical conditions. Would the same service not be able to provide a remote opinion?
There is a department at Air Canada to assist with in flight medical emergencies, as is a department referred to the "Air Canada medical desk" - which is fairly responsive but is meant to deal with others issue. I am not aware of any resource for the flight crew in this particular case. The authority would probably lie with the Captain in this case and it would be his/her decision to figure out how he/she would like to proceed.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:02 pm

I forgot the emoji. My comment was meant to be funny. All fixed.
Oh no I got it, my reply was meant to be too

Consider the situation where a woman turns up looking like she’s 9 months pregnant. Is she going to get on the plane without a doctors note? And I’m sure that’s not the only example.

AC including but not limited to the captain have a duty of care to every single passenger on the plane. Remember the FAs are there for our safety.

But I still don’t think it was handled as well as it could have been. But then I’m also not convicted it was as bad as the story makes out. /shrugs

Last edited by jc94; Apr 28, 2018 at 3:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.