Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada boots mom, son over seat choice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada boots mom, son over seat choice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
One particularly interesting quote from the article:

This is an entirely reasonable request from a responsible parent. I have a 4-year old myself and can’t imagine having him sit alone in a pod for 8-ish hours when I can’t see him.
It is a reasonable request. I doubt the CA would get involved if it was merely a request, though. Having said that, since the GA was involved, I wonder if the seats were rearranged prior to boarding. And where each of them had sat on board. Again, too many missing details.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
It is a reasonable request. I doubt the CA would get involved if it was merely a request, though. Having said that, since the GA was involved, I wonder if the seats were rearranged prior to boarding. And where each of them had sat on board. Again, too many missing details.
I agree. From what I can gather, the website allowed the woman to book a seat adjacent to her son, the GA told her this was against a policy they didn’t / couldn’t / wouldn’t produce and so she was re-seated behind her son. Then, once aboard, the woman continued to question the policy before eventually taking her seat behind her son.

Someone convinced the CA he needed to get involved, and it’s entirely possible that the woman’s behaviour justified his involment and decision. It’s also possible that the FA was on a power trip because the woman didn’t “have the right to question policy.”
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Does it not seem like the SD overreacted? Booting a person off for asking to see the rules?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Does it not seem like the SD overreacted? Booting a person off for asking to see the rules?
Air Travel in 2018.
And as you can read, there are enough people who firmly and happily hold to the "uniforms mean unquestionable authority, rules are rules, shut up and comply" concept of modern life.
Most people don't, which is why, now that the story is public, this woman will receive a corporate "apology" and some form of compensation.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Doesn't the "Signature Class Cabin" only apply to the new pods anyhow?
No. Signature Class is a service. The cabin (which is always lowercase on that page, it's never "Signature Class Cabin") is the cabin in which Signature Class is offered.

They even clarify that it is "formerly known as International Business Class", which applies to all pods.

You've heard one side of the story.

I've seen a captain get involved once in all my flying. I've seen a lot worse than "asking to see the rules".
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
This is an entirely reasonable request from a responsible parent. I have a 4-year old myself and can’t imagine having him sit alone in a pod for 8-ish hours when I can’t see him.
Sounds like neither of you should be in pods then. If you want to be in visual and physical contact with your child during the flight, or say especially during an incident with turbulence, then you want to be sitting beside them, possibly even touching them. I'm neither a parent or a 4 year old, but apparently touching is comforting.

Which isn't an option in any pod, domestic or international, rules or no rules.

This is why we can't have nice things. Reminds me of the teen who got stuck in Transylvania or wherever. Eventually AC will see that being nice isn't worth the hassle and just deny unaccompanied teens or infants in pods.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Which isn't an option in any pod, domestic or international, rules or no rules.
Given the wording of the policy, it should be possible and allowed to sit side-by-side in any international business class product except that on an A330 or 767. The woman could’ve cared for her son exactly as she had planned had she been permitted to remain in the seats she had booked. Which, coincidentally, the website allowed her to book.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s also unfortunate that the gate staff couldn’t refer the woman to that exact webpage; the whole incident would’ve never escalated.
That may be. However when she was told it was policy, continuing to question it and asking for evidence was perhaps a bt too much. I cannot believe the captain would have intervened the way he did if there was a way to reason with the women. Plus, they would be particularly careful with people in J.

As usual, we only heard one side of the story.
canadiancow and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:44 pm

Interesting. I am booked YVR-YYZ on 777 business with my THREE kids, aged 12, 10, 10. Obviously, only one child can sit in a pod in front of me. Will AC refuse to transport us?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by echino
Interesting. I am booked YVR-YYZ on 777 business with my THREE kids, aged 12, 10, 10. Obviously, only one child can sit in a pod in front of me. Will AC refuse to transport us?
If you want to strictly go by the letter of the policy, it would depend how they define "guardian". Can a 12 year old be a "guardian" (in this sense) of a 10 year old?

However, regardless of policy, there is a HUGE difference between a 10 year old and a 4 year old in the context of donning a mask.
ffsim and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Yes, if that's what happened.
ffsim and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by echino
SOP covers children aged 2 to 11. When there are 2, the second child must be situated in an adjacent seat, such that the openings of the pods face each other. Also the SOP refers to Business Class Pods, not to Classic Pods.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Stranger
However when she was told it was policy, continuing to question it and asking for evidence was perhaps a bt too much.
No it wasn't.
rickg523 and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

Except the 787 that operated YYZ-FRA isn’t equipped with Classic Pods.

I don’t know if the woman really deserved to be tossed from the flight or if the FA was on a power trip. But I do know that the policy @ksm06 linked to does not suggest that the child must be seated in front of the parent on that particular aircraft.
It kinda does, actually. And to pretend otherwise (even in the context of this thread) is to be deliberately obtuse. You know, I know, we all know, that in this case the policy is that he should be seated in front of her. For safety. But she should be exempt from safety rules because.... ? She is special? And just to clarify -- what if they length of the nozzle on the mask doesn't reach across the aisle and that is why the rule is what it is? This all from FT, where people were arguing that you should keep your shoes on during landing, because, you know, what if the plane has a crash landing and you have to evacuate in cold weather. There is no question what the spirit of the policy is here. If you want to question whether the FA was power tripping, awesome (although it is necessarily speculative). But lets not pretend that the FA wasn't right, and lets not pretend the policy isn't totally clear to anybody not trying to find a problem with AC. Anybody that has been here a while knows that I would be the first to blame AC if they were wrong. But they weren't. And oh yeah, they weren't.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
It kinda does, actually. And to pretend otherwise (even in the context of this thread) is to be deliberately obtuse.
Nonsense. I don’t know the difference in mask tubing length between the XM pods and the new pods. I don’t know that a parent cannot help a child adjacent to them in a new pod. All I know is what the policy states, and the policy — recently updated as it is — clearly refers to classic pods.

I can’t for the life of me understand why AC doesn’t simply eliminate the reference to classic pods if the safety issue still exists in the new pods. It’s baffling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.