Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada boots mom, son over seat choice

Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

https://globalnews.ca/news/4174332/a...mom-son-seats/

A Toronto woman says she and her son were ordered to leave an Air Canada flight in Frankfurt when the woman questioned a seating policy in business class.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:52 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
As always, there's stuff we don't know, but this statement does not ring true for me:

"Our rules require a child travelling in a business-class pod to sit in front of the parent or guardian for safety reasons, in particular, to apply an oxygen mask properly,” said Air Canada spokesperson Peter Fitzpatrick".

I have been on several TATL/TPAC flights where young (really young) children were not seated in front of their parents.

In one case, a girl of maybe 5 or 6 was seated in front of Ms. Boh and basically started screaming due to a scary scene in the movie she was watching. My better half had to actually tell her mom to stop watching her movie and tend to her child. The mom was seated in the 'D' seat of that row, her daughter in the 'K' seat.

So, on this and several other flights I've been on, this 'rule' has not been enforced. Maybe we will get more facts as the story develops.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The way it reads to me, mom didn't refuse the seating arrangement as claimed by AC, but made the fatal error of arguing with an FA. Said FA subsequently went on a power trip and told the captain someone was being disruptive, knowing full well that once that button has been pushed the captain will order the pax to disembark since he is not about to start arbitrating a dispute when he has work to do in the cockpit. FA couldn't even resist mocking the pax as she disembarked:
She says she was told by another flight crew member as they were leaving the aircraft that “you don’t have the right to question policy.”
Unsurprising behavior but nonetheless disappointing behavior. Never, ever debate with an AC FA.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
well it looks like the FA was WRONG, so another person will receive monster compensation from AC. the rule is the under age passenger must sit adjacent to the parent in the same cabin! lol I love the passenger advocacy group.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by flybit
well it looks like the FA was WRONG, so another person will receive monster compensation from AC. the rule is the under age passenger must sit adjacent to the parent in the same cabin! lol I love the passenger advocacy group.
Makes sense.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Does the international tariff differ from the domestic? Does International say the child must sit in front of the parent in Biz ?
More likely the AC spokesperson and cabin crew were quoting from a internal policy which differs from the tariff. Kind of funny that the consumer advocacy person shows AC their own rules.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Hmmm. Well. I don't know what the policy is, but this forum has affirmed the alleged policy of child in front of parent in J with pods several times when seat selection questions have come up. Try this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29387331-post4.html

So maybe (surprisingly) AC FA was right?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
Maybe now they will update the language on the web page, https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-children.html "When occupying a Classic Pod in the Air Canada Signature Class cabin, a child age 2 to 11 must be seated directly in front of the accompanying parent or guardian." This references classic pod only. The obviously updated this for the launch of signature service but seems to still imply you don't need to do this on the new suites if it is not a classic pod.
ffsim likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ksm06
Maybe now they will update the language on the web page, https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-children.html "When occupying a Classic Pod in the Air Canada Signature Class cabin, a child age 2 to 11 must be seated directly in front of the accompanying parent or guardian." This references classic pod only. The obviously updated this for the launch of signature service but seems to still imply you don't need to do this on the new suites if it is not a classic pod.
So the FA was right.

And the FA was right in enforcing a safety policy.

It is for the good of the child in the unlikely event of a problem.

The two pax deserved to get the boot. My sympathy for them is less than zero.
closecover and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Or, perhaps, the GA, SD, and CA were right.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
the advocacy group quoted the domestic tariff. Does the international say the same thing??
YYC009 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ridefar
So the FA was right.

And the FA was right in enforcing a safety policy.

It is for the good of the child in the unlikely event of a problem.

The two pax deserved to get the boot. My sympathy for them is less than zero.
Except the 787 that operated YYZ-FRA isn’t equipped with Classic Pods.

I don’t know if the woman really deserved to be tossed from the flight or if the FA was on a power trip. But I do know that the policy @ksm06 linked to does not suggest that the child must be seated in front of the parent on that particular aircraft.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
One particularly interesting quote from the article:

Aboard the Boeing 787, Morton said she asked staff on the aircraft again to explain the policy. She says if she couldn’t see her son in the large, separate seat pod in front of her, it would be difficult to help him eat, get to the bathroom, or assist him during the flight.
This is an entirely reasonable request from a responsible parent. I have a 4-year old myself and can’t imagine having him sit alone in a pod for 8-ish hours when I can’t see him.
Twickenham and mromalley like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by ksm06
Doesn't the "Signature Class Cabin" only apply to the new pods anyhow?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Doesn't the "Signature Class Cabin" only apply to the new pods anyhow?
That’s the point — the policy is contradictory. If the kid-in-front-of-guardian policy applies to the Signature Class Cabin, they should have removed the “classic pods” when adding the words “signature class cabin” to the policy. Leaving “classic pods” in the policy leads the reader to believe the policy applies to classic pods.

It’s also unfortunate that the gate staff couldn’t refer the woman to that exact webpage; the whole incident would’ve never escalated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.