AC Response to WestJet Pilot Strike Action

Old Apr 26, 18, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
AC Response to WestJet Pilot Strike Action

This thread is for discussion of AC response to WS pilot strike potential. For discussion of WestJet topics, See a thread titled "Paging Captain Norma Rae" in the WestJet Rewards forum.

AC has issued a presser commenting on the potential impact of a WS pilot strike.

Air Canada prepared for potential labour disruptions at WestJet

MONTREAL, April 26, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today said it is ready to adjust its schedules and capacity to limit disruptions for the traveling public and to ensure that customers get to their destinations in the event of a labour disruption at WestJet.

We know that people travel for a variety of reasons and as the busy summer period approaches, we appreciate that the traveling public may be feeling anxious about their plans resulting from the uncertainty associated with potential labour disruptions at WestJet. With our extensive network and varied fleet, we are well placed to accommodate passengers disrupted by this situation. The travelling public can book Air Canada with confidence at www.aircanada.com or by calling their travel agents.
https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2018...ons-at-WestJet
Old Apr 26, 18, 11:41 am

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
travelling public can book Air Canada with confidence*

In the event of IRROPS or sheer incompetence prepare to be shafted, food may have to be paid for by West Jet pilot
Old Apr 26, 18, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Looks like some Schadenfreude at AC...
WR Cage and tcook052 like this.
Old Apr 26, 18, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, one would expect that yes, they'll add flights, but also, they'll bump prices up, right?
Old Apr 26, 18, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
So, one would expect that yes, they'll add flights, but also, they'll bump prices up, right?

It was many many many beers ago, but I remember that Canadian lost money during the Air Canada pilot strikes of the late 1990s.

The big reason for losing money...... Either fly empty aircraft cause you charged fares that covered you costs for extra service, or charge below market pricing cause the passenger all ready paid one airfare and is looking for a bailout on their vacation. The is also a public image problem with charging last minute fares on the FOTSG crowd.

There could have been other reasons for the airline to lose money when its major competitor ceased operations. Reasons such as the core operations fell apart from the strain of extra capacity thrown together at the last minute, staff refusing overtime, not enough staff, not enough equipment, etc
Old Apr 26, 18, 4:56 pm

Programs: Currently is: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA/Marriott/IHG Plat, Hilton Gold # Used to be: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by WR Cage View Post
It was many many many beers ago, but I remember that Canadian lost money during the Air Canada pilot strikes of the late 1990s.
Wasn't another major contributing factor that CP had a lot of tpac flights which dried up by the asian financial crisis?
Old Apr 26, 18, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maradori View Post
Wasn't another major contributing factor that CP had a lot of tpac flights which dried up by the asian financial crisis?
That was a contributing factor to the collapse of CP in both 1996 and again in 1999. However this was not a factor in CP losing money during the AC pilot strike period. Maybe i should restate, CP lost even more money than normal during the AC pilot strike, the additional traffic did not help their financial decline into oblivion.
Old Apr 26, 18, 8:33 pm

A bit opportunistic because desperate people would already be considering AC. Then I asked myself, what did the EU airlines do when AF had one of its usual labour disruptions? They just carried on. It's fair game and not overly obnoxious, but still somewhat tacky.
Old Apr 26, 18, 8:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
A bit opportunistic because desperate people would already be considering AC. Then I asked myself, what did the EU airlines do when AF had one of its usual labour disruptions? They just carried on. It's fair game and not overly obnoxious, but still somewhat tacky.
We are Canadians we are not used to these types of things and we plan ahead.

The French and Italians are used to strikes. They just sit down have a smoke or an expresso and wait an hour or two for the strike to end. Life then resumes as normal.

The Germans are a bit more organised they precisely plan there strikes to last 48 hours not a minute longer and adjust the schedule around it.
Old Apr 26, 18, 11:36 pm

I recall that another reason that Canadian Airlines suffered because of the Air Canada strike was that when the strike ended, Air Canada had a "kiss and make up" seat seal with insanely low prices to all destinations as well as triple status-qualifying Aeroplan miles. Canadian was essentially forced to match both and took a big hit.

A Westjet seat sale following a strike would obviously affect both airlines...
WR Cage likes this.
Old Apr 27, 18, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freeflyer View Post
A Westjet seat sale following a strike would obviously affect both airlines...
The only current figures I have heard. The 2009 Westjet post Sabre introduction kiss and make-up period cost AC $30-50 million in revenue/profit because they had to match WS.

As an air travel consumer, any kiss and makeup sale is beneficial.
Fiordland likes this.
Old Apr 27, 18, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
I laughed when I read this. WS did this when AC was facing labour related issues a few years ago.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 18, 9:39 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
They'll add flights, but very few of them will arrive on time.
Old May 11, 18, 1:30 am
Original Poster

With the Pilots voting 91% infavour of striking, I'm now encouraging my contacts to book early and book on AC. I do the same for the FT crowd, if you see a price or need to get somewhere via air travel, its best to book sooner rather than later.

Also, WestJet is reporting they are starting to see softness in their forward bookings, especially after the May long weekend. The bookings aren't staying home, they are most likely travelling on AC.

Short Story, get off the fence and book your flights ASAP. Happy trails campers.
Old May 11, 18, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...682309691.html

MONTREAL, May 10, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - In response to the strike vote mandate given by WestJet's pilots, Air Canada today announced it has now added capacity on key transcontinental routes by up-gauging aircraft on certain flights from its primary global hub in Toronto to Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax, from Vancouver to Calgary, Edmonton, and from Calgary to Montreal.

Travellers who may be concerned about the uncertainty resulting from WestJet's strike vote mandate can book Air Canada with confidence. With our flexible and diverse fleet, we will continue adjusting capacity where possible to limit disruptions for people travelling. We look forward to welcoming customers onboard our flights to key destinations throughout our network and into our global hubs.
WR Cage likes this.

Search this Thread