Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Selected 50% aeroplan bonus, got shafted by AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.

Even though Air Canada's terms and conditions stated that

Choose this Select Privilege and earn 50% Bonus Aeroplan Miles on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada Rouge, Copa Airlines and United. Also earn a 25% bonus on eligible flights operated by Austrian, brussels airlines, Lufthansa and Swiss. This bonus applies to Aeroplan Miles earned for distance flown between January 1 and December 31, 2018. Note that if you qualify for a higher status with Early Recognition, the bonus applies as of when your status is confirmed by email. Bonus Aeroplan Miles are not Altitude Qualifying Miles and do not count towards reaching Altitude status.
They have instructed Aeroplan to NOT repro-credit my flights taken between Jan 1st and March 2nd, doesnt seem right to me... is this a policy change (as for as 2016 and 2017 it wasnt the case for me). Its not a lot but I feel like baited and switched by AC... so much for buying Flex fares LMAO
What's worse is that my E50K status didnt expire until Feb 28

Talked to AE's supervisor who read me a list of rules that was no where to be found on AC Altitude terms and conditions regarding the 50% bonus for gifted members.

Okay I know I am gifted status and all but this doesn't seem right to me. Look, if you are going to do this, atleast specify it on the website so I wont feel like being dinged for nothing
I am probably going to write this in and get the $20 worth of points lol
Hunter2017 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What did you choose last year?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What did you choose last year?
50% Bonus
The year before 35% Bonus
Hunter2017 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm a little confused then. If you had 50% last year, and 50% this year, what logic is there for not giving you a 50% bonus for the first two months?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
The bonus miles have always been for the calendar year, not the benefit year, in my experience. You'd need E50K status this year and choose the 50% bonus for your January 1 to February 28 flights this year to count.

The E50K status you had for March 1, 2017 to February 28, 2018 gave you 50% bonus miles for flights taken between January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017 (note the 2 month shift).
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm a little confused then. If you had 50% last year, and 50% this year, what logic is there for not giving you a 50% bonus for the first two months?
THERE ISNT, Thats why I am mad lol
Their argument is that My 2018 status become effective on Mar 2nd, which is why any flight before that date would not receive 50% bonus. But that doesn't make any sense at all because the T&C states Jan 1st to Dec 31
YZF_Elite likes this.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 25, 2018 at 7:32 pm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
The bonus miles have always been for the calendar year, not the benefit year, in my experience. You'd need E50K status this year and choose the 50% bonus for your January 1 to February 28 flights this year to count.

The E50K status you had for March 1, 2017 to February 28, 2018 gave you 50% bonus miles for flights taken between January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017 (note the 2 month shift).
I did choose 50% Bonus for this year, but AC baited and switched me by refusing to meet their end of the bargain
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I did choose 50% Bonus for this year, but AC baited and switched me by refusing to meet their end of the bargain
Ah, I misunderstood you when you said your E50K status didn't expire until February 28. You should absolutely get the 50% miles for January 1 to February 28, 2018, then! You didn't have a single gap in status!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Ah, I misunderstood you when you said your E50K status didn't expire until February 28. You should absolutely get the 50% miles for January 1 to February 28, 2018, then!
I know, but looks like the only way is to write it in haha
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
It feels like the benefit selection for this year didn't work properly. Are you getting the 50% bonus after March 1st?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
It feels like the benefit selection for this year didn't work properly. Are you getting the 50% bonus after March 1st?
I haven't flew revenue after March 1st
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So that would explain why my wife did not get the bonus on an LH flight in February...
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
I didn't select my E35 benefits until early March. A few days after selecting the 35% bonus miles, bonus miles for my January and February flights hit my account. Based on the rules, it's what I expected for my account and would expect the OP to get properly bonused for his Jan/Feb revenue flights.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Out of curiosity, How many points are you missing because of this situation?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jasdou

Out of curiosity, How many points are you missing because of this situation?
Zing lol
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.