Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Selected 50% aeroplan bonus, got shafted by AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Selected 50% aeroplan bonus, got shafted by AC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:39 am
alc

I think the issue here is that the 2018 E50K was not "gifted" until March 2018. So, the system is applying the "early status recognition" policy and hence you only get the benefit from the E50K "earned" date.

Note that if you qualify for a higher status with Early Recognition, the bonus applies as of when your status is confirmed by email.
I do agreed this is an issue on how AC/AP is handling this as you can "gifted" someone that is already E50K from previous year until their status expired in March.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
The question to AC seems like a simple one - is the duration of a gifted status, good for:
  1. January 1 - December 31
  2. March 1 - December 31
  3. March 1 - February 28
  4. Something else
The rest is a trivial matter of ensuring that the policy is applied correctly
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:05 am
alc

Originally Posted by canopus27
The question to AC seems like a simple one - is the duration of a gifted status, good for:
  1. January 1 - December 31
  2. March 1 - December 31
  3. March 1 - February 28
  4. Something else
The rest is a trivial matter of ensuring that the policy is applied correctly
the status is good for march 1 to Feb 28/29. But for this specific bonus miles, it is always Jan to Dec for everyone. As the status was earned/gifted in March, hence this benefit start on that date and not back-dated.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by jasdou

Out of curiosity, How many points are you missing because of this situation?
Originally Posted by ffsim

Zing lol
1026... not a lot but I am quite close to 25K redemption
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
1026... not a lot but I am quite close to 25K redemption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OyrX11cMkE
I’m all for going hard after what I’m owed and not accepting corporate finger-pointing and bureaucracy. But just keep in mind that you can buy those miles for $41 when you’re evaluating the amount of effort you’re putting into chasing them.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC SE

I’m all for going hard after what I’m owed and not accepting corporate finger-pointing and bureaucracy. But just keep in mind that you can buy those miles for $41 when you’re evaluating the amount of effort you’re putting into chasing them.
That was pretty much my point.
ffsim and JordanYVR like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alc
the status is good for march 1 to Feb 28/29. But for this specific bonus miles, it is always Jan to Dec for everyone. As the status was earned/gifted in March, hence this benefit start on that date and not back-dated.
But then for gifted status, which can't be re-gifted until the old one expires, does that mean you can only ever get 9 months worth of the bonus?

While I don't disagree, I can think of two counter-points.

1. The principle. Don't let AC shaft you. I once wrote in because I wanted the difference between $75 USD and $75 CAD refunded to me (about $20 CAD). I ended up getting $150 CAD.

2. Help others. When your complaint actually results in something getting fixed (and that's happened a LOT with things people have posted on FT, whether or not they're aware), it might only get you 1000 miles, but it might get 1000 miles for 1000 people, and now the numbers start to get more significant.
ffsim likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
It’s also $46, with tax. But I agree with cow, it’s the principle. Besides writing in shouldn’t take that long. Do it while on a bus, train, waiting in a MLL etc ...
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:44 pm

Same thing has happened to me. I had no gap between being 50k (earned) last year, and 50k (gifted) this year. So why should I lose out on 2 months of bonus points? It might only be 1586 missing points, but it's 1586 miles that I should be entitled to.

Last edited by jdj84; Apr 27, 2018 at 10:41 pm
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I did choose 50% Bonus for this year, but AC baited and switched me by refusing to meet their end of the bargain
Maybe the fact you're trying to game the system at every turn has basically made them say "screw Jack, we could care less, let him complain on FT for a while then we will give him a token kit kat and 500 miles"
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:17 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by jazzsax
Maybe the fact you're trying to game the system at every turn has basically made them say "screw Jack, we could care less, let him complain on FT for a while then we will give him a token kit kat and 500 miles"

I disagree. It's confusing at best, intentionally misleading at worst.

If you are able to 'gift' someone status, the website should clearly explain the conditions/limitations, if there are any.

Otherwise, I would be like Jack, and assume there's no difference between 'gifted' and 'earned'.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by jazzsax
I don’t see how this is gaming the system. As above, gifted or earned should work the same. People are after all gifted status in exchange for many eUps and the like (especially in Jacks case where it’s a yearly E75k/SE bonus and not a lifetime award for 2MM+)

Or are you implying this is not standard (despite report above) and AC are targeting Jack for some reason?
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jc94

I don’t see how this is gaming the system. As above, gifted or earned should work the same. People are after all gifted status in exchange for many eUps and the like (especially in Jacks case where it’s a yearly E75k/SE bonus and not a lifetime award for 2MM+)

Or are you implying this is not standard (despite report above) and AC are targeting Jack for some reason?
I read the Jazzsax post as a joke.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:38 pm

*Note, it's only 2 months missed (Jan + Feb) points/status.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I read the Jazzsax post as a joke.
It's a joke....and it's not a joke.

AC has easy ways of figuring out who people are based on how they post, trolling the boards behind the scenes, monitoring what's going on, and then watching buying patterns / consumption.

I will say this... if YEG_SE4LIFE posted about this issue, it would have been fixed in a heartbeat. Someone else at a lower tier, especially not spending money would (or not spending much) would be jumping through hoops.

Others who don't spend much and look for the loopholes and find ways to complain, not so much. Maybe I was harsh and blunt in saying Jack specifically tries to game the system, but to put it mildly... if you spend, you will get taken care of. If you don't, sometimes it's not worth the fight arguing about the little things.
canadiancow and Dolphin2 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.