Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO lounge options

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

SFO lounge options

I know there have been a lot of changes with United and Polaris fails and things; lots of closures etc...

So what is open there now and accessible to Air Canada people?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I'm not sure how helpful this post is going to be, but here goes:

I went through security in the international terminal last week and immediately on the right should be a lounge, which is closed.
There were lots of confused people there and the sign pointed down toward the next terminal (Terminal 3 I think)

So I walked though and used the United lounge there. (10 minute walk) It was fine - no windows, some breakfast options and a staffed bar. A couple women half in the bag at 10AM ... maybe this is normal in SFO

However, when I walked back to gate 97, I noticed the temporary international lounge across from that gate. That is probably the best bet for people flying on AC out of SFO right now - unless you enjoy a long walk.

I hope that helps.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dr_torch
I'm not sure how helpful this post is going to be, but here goes:

I went through security in the international terminal last week and immediately on the right should be a lounge, which is closed.
There were lots of confused people there and the sign pointed down toward the next terminal (Terminal 3 I think)

So I walked though and used the United lounge there. (10 minute walk) It was fine - no windows, some breakfast options and a staffed bar. A couple women half in the bag at 10AM ... maybe this is normal in SFO

However, when I walked back to gate 97, I noticed the temporary international lounge across from that gate. That is probably the best bet for people flying on AC out of SFO right now - unless you enjoy a long walk.

I hope that helps.
Yes this is correct. If you do not have a bag to check, better to go thru Term 3 straight to the lounge and then take the tunnel/bridge back to International gates. I much prefer the Amex Centurion lounge but you need a Plat card for that.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Gate 97 (the temp lounge) will close down for renovations after Polaris opens Apri 30.

The closest for AC flyers will be in the other terminal (15 min walk away)
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:53 am

So when the Polaris lounge opens on April 30th, can business class travellers to Canada not enter?

It's international only?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:12 am
Original Poster

I found it. But went to the Centurion. Better food. The potato mix this morning was awesome!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Marriot Rewards, Avis Preferred Plus
When I was flying through there, I would sometimes go to the Eva Air or the Singapore lounges, which were behind the United lounge. They weren't open all the time though.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by rage
When I was flying through there, I would sometimes go to the Eva Air or the Singapore lounges, which were behind the United lounge. They weren't open all the time though.
Those were closed and are now incorporated into the United Polaris lounge.

As for the lounge across from Gate 97, it was only available to business class passengers - I heard quite a few people *G members turned away and told to use the lounges in Terminal 3.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
As for the lounge across from Gate 97, it was only available to business class passengers - I heard quite a few people *G members turned away and told to use the lounges in Terminal 3.
Well, I never got to that one. Is it better than the other one?

I now have this feeling of missing out. Not only did I miss the lounge, but my seat deflanged when I got on board
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well, I never got to that one. Is it better than the other one?

I now have this feeling of missing out. Not only did I miss the lounge, but my seat deflanged when I got on board
That lounge is for international J and F passengers, and is definitely better than any of the three United Clubs.

I was told it would immediately become a UC when the Polaris lounge opens (no renovation required), so it will end the need for *G to walk to T3.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:42 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
So when the Polaris lounge opens on April 30th, can business class travellers to Canada not enter?

It's international only?
Correct, flights to Canada in business will not be eligible for the Polaris lounge. This includes other destinations as well, such as Panama, Colombia, Peru, etc., as those routes are the equivalent to United Business flights not United Polaris Business.

Although Canada is considered an International destination for standard UC access (domestic business flights only in the US do not allow lounge access, unlike AC's domestic policy), this does not extend to the Polaris Lounge.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That lounge is for international J and F passengers, and is definitely better than any of the three United Clubs.

I was told it would immediately become a UC when the Polaris lounge opens (no renovation required), so it will end the need for *G to walk to T3.
Thanks @canadiancow. I'm sure you probably told me this in the other thread when I got the good deal on the flights, but I have trouble remembering
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
The Polaris lounge is also available on arrival from international UA flights connecting to flights that wouldn't otherwise qualify for access. So if you're arriving on UA on a long haul international flight and connecting from AC you should have access. This is only for inbound UA flights, not other international carriers.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:49 am

That's interesting. So if I came in from TPE on UA metal in J and connected to YYZ on Air Canada in J then I should have access to the Polaris lounge then?

You know, I need to start writing down these rules just to remember
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

That's interesting. So if I came in from TPE on UA metal in J and connected to YYZ on Air Canada in J then I should have access to the Polaris lounge then?

You know, I need to start writing down these rules just to remember
I can confirm that .. at least, with the current J restricted lounge in SFO. Came in on ANA in J, connecting to AC in J to YYZ, and the United lounge which is restricted to J pax on international flights was available to me. If I was just regular J SFO-YYZ, I would not have been allowed in. I suspect the same will hold true for Polaris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.