Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

ZRH-YYZ Options - LX or TK? Business Class & Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ZRH-YYZ Options - LX or TK? Business Class & Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by jc94
L

Can one do that? Book a XNI fare and buy up to the next level even when one can’t buy it direct with points, as with LX?

Any way to predict the cost? ZRH YYZ looks to be about a $1200 J to F variant, is I to O the same? Is the fact that this is OW award (?) going to impact that?
LX is the only airline I know that does sell J to F upgrades on board, and for less than it would cost to upfare at the gate.
They do have a schedule on board for the cost on each flight.
I took advantage of this once on a flight from Asia to ZRH. I had enquired at the gate about upgrading to F - the agent assumed I meant
with points and told me it could only be done with LH/LX points. When I explained I wanted to do it for cash, he checked the buy-up rate,
then told me to just do it on board for less.
jc94 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:31 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
...Fortunate enough on both outbound/return flights to secure a "Throne Seat" although not a fan of these seats which seem to be shared between LX/OS and SN. ...
I'm actually a huge fan of these 'Throne Seats', especially 4A which has the most legroom and the best privacy of any seat in LX J. But to each their own.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Apr 25, 2018 at 11:36 am
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
LX is the only airline I know that does sell J to F upgrades on board, and for less than it would cost to upfare at the gate.
They do have a schedule on board for the cost on each flight.
I took advantage of this once on a flight from Asia to ZRH. I had enquired at the gate about upgrading to F - the agent assumed I meant
with points and told me it could only be done with LH/LX points. When I explained I wanted to do it for cash, he checked the buy-up rate,
then told me to just do it on board for less.
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I'm actually a huge fan of these 'Throne Seats', especially 4A which has the most legroom and the best privacy of any seat in J. But to each their own.
Not to get too off-topic... seeing as how LX has them as TK does not but what's the issue with the thrones? Unless I'm travelling with someone I want to be actively able to engage with the thrones and mini-cabin seem to be the best seats. Which is clearly why they're all unavailable without cost/top level LH/LX status.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
I'm actually a huge fan of these 'Throne Seats', especially 4A which has the most legroom and the best privacy of any seat in LX J. But to each their own.
Agreed. It was 4K for me. My experience with the Thompson Vantage Seats (original 777HD seats) came in handy. Helped my seat mates who were all struggling with extracting and stowing their tray tables
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yes, at an additional cost of a couple hundred +
Premium paid seats (those marked with a star) are reserved for SEN/HON up until T-48 at which point they become available to anyone. Other premium seats (those marked with a red x) remain blocked for SEN/HON until check-in, so they become available at T-24.

Originally Posted by The Lev
An option worth considering is buying up to F on LX - lovely experience.
Thanks for pointing this out, and thanks @IluvSQ for suggesting to buy on board. I might look into this next time I fly them and spoil the Mrs. if the price is right.

Flew LX ZRH/YUL yesterday. The Zurich E Lounge was excellent with great made-to-order food options and had access to both the Business and Senator sides. Food/Bev virtually identical although there is a Whisky Bar in the Senator Lounge. Spectacular weather in ZRH yesterday and seating was open to the outside terrace. Fortunate enough on both outbound/return flights to secure a "Throne Seat" although not a fan of these seats which seem to be shared between LX/OS and SN. Less preferred seats on the A330 would probably be 5AC/5HK as they are ahead of the lavs and 9A/9K which lack windows. All in all - a very pleasant experience and a great way to burn off some miles.
Agree with all this; LX is at the very top of my preferred TATL airlines.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by ffsim
Agree with all this; LX is at the very top of my preferred TATL airlines.
Wearing my "Regular Customer Hat"...

Crews were great on all 4 flights. Service delivered with usual Swiss synchronicity which is part of their hallmark. Did however find the service outbound on 087 - YULZRH a little sparse. Surprised there was an all inclusive "Express" tray offered for Dinner at 16:50 hours - a relatively early departure time. No plated appetizer, cheese on the tray (no crackers offered) and no trolley service for dessert/coffee/tea. A la carte breakfast also a bit meagre. No hot or cereal options, no butter/jam offered with pastries. Now I'm just being a typical FT-er Regardless, a totally enjoyable flight experience.

Return service on 086 was the full meal deal & very good!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Flew LX ZRH/YUL yesterday. The Zurich E Lounge was excellent with great made-to-order food options and had access to both the Business and Senator sides. Food/Bev virtually identical although there is a Whisky Bar in the Senator Lounge. Spectacular weather in ZRH yesterday and seating was open to the outside terrace. Fortunate enough on both outbound/return flights to secure a "Throne Seat" although not a fan of these seats which seem to be shared between LX/OS and SN. Less preferred seats on the A330 would probably be 5AC/5HK as they are ahead of the lavs and 9A/9K which lack windows. All in all - a very pleasant experience and a great way to burn off some miles.
You say you had access to the Senator side... was that because you (or someone who were with) is *G? Or did they let you in with a business class flight?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
For a couple, get 4J/K on the 777, and I would choose the 2 middles in row 5 on A330, you dont have to pay extra for those (at least that was the case last summer). There was zero traffic, and still allows for one to interact with the mrs during the flight.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never been impressed by LX J (well ok yes, F, but thats different), but alas, its the usually the only way to fly tatl scamcharge free, so I find flying myself in July, which of the single seats will be available for booking at T-48 and T-24 (and free)?

For now, LX wants CAD190 for the seats in blue.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:33 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
That Seat 4A (top left, in blue) is a killer seat. Review here.

Is it worth $190? That I can't tell you as I was on a revenue ticket.

But I did like being addressed by name every single time the FA stopped by for service.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That Seat 4A (top left, in blue) is a killer seat. Review here.
Is it worth $190? That I can't tell you as I was on a revenue ticket.
But I did like being addressed by name every single time the FA stopped by for service.
Maybe if it was my first time on LX, or if I never had the throne before, I'd go for it. This is most likely to be just a sleeping flight so any window will do (but obviously would prefer a single. The ones that were open to the aisle looked like the people were literally sleeping in the aisle (like BA J)
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I've never been impressed by LX J (well ok yes, F, but thats different), but alas, its the usually the only way to fly tatl scamcharge free, so I find flying myself in July, which of the single seats will be available for booking at T-48 and T-24 (and free)?

For now, LX wants CAD190 for the seats in blue.
4K / 5K at T-48, 4A at T-24.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Ben posted a review of the TK 777 J experience today. Seems to be very positive.

"Turkish business class exceeded my expectations by a long shot. I’d argue this is probably the best business class soft product offered by any airline between the US and Europe. "

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....lass-pictures/
rankourabu likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by ffsim
4K / 5K at T-48, 4A at T-24.
In this order of preference right? 4A, 5K, 4K.

Throne, Aisle protection, all mini cabin.
I’m in 8K at present.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Really appreciate all of the advice everyone.

If you're really bored, here's my decision based on the feedback.

I'm sticking with my already booked Swiss ZRH-ORD-YYZ (vs the Turkish option of ZRH-IST-YYZ)for my return trip for the following reasons
1. ZRH-ORD on Swiss leaves at noon. ZRH-IST leaves at 7.40am. This leaves no time in the ZRH lounge if I pick the TK option. Leaving at noon on Swiss is a perfect time, giving us time to enjoy a lounge that we already love.
2. With the TK option, we only have 2hr40m layover in IST. Lounge is awesome, but it's possible with the IST business, we would only enjoy it for a very limited time. Combine this with #1 , where we get no ZRH lounge time - and we take away one of the (significant to us) benefits - lounge relaxation.
3. TK 2-3-2 layout on the 777. We already have seats 5A and 5B on the Swiss flight booked, which is the mini-cabin area , so privacy is a little more assured than the possibility of the middle 3 section on the TK flight. It's my wife and I, so the window/aisle combo is perfect for us.

Greatly appreciate the thoughts and input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.