Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Truly Horrible Schedule Change: Any Advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K

Hi Folks

Flying CPH-YYZ-YXE in PY (with upgrade to J on last leg) in a month or so. AC has eliminated the afternoon flight from YYZ-YXE so instead of a relatively short layover I now arrive YYZ at 12.50 and there is no direct flight to YXE until 20:05 PM. There are no connecting flights that are any better, or at least that are showing up on the AC website. This is an involuntary schedule change. I have a feeling I am SOL. but perhaps someone knows of something else. I know it is a long shot but an 8 hour layover after a TATL flight is a bit much.

Thoughts or suggestions?

YXEG
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
YYZ-YWG-YXE?
YYZ-YYC-YXE?
YYZ-YEG-YXE?

With a specific date we could offer some concrete examples, but the best options for earlier arrival time will probably involve an extra connection somewhere.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:35 pm

The only options that eliminate the 8 hour layover involve connecting in Europe somewhere, likely LHR or FRA. Neither of those look all that appealing to me. AC has messed around with the YQR-YYZ flights as well for this summer and some of the connections are now truly horrid. I’ve booked us connecting onto LH because the connections are better—AC really wants us to sit at YYZ for a long time if we want to fly their metal, alas. For some reason, the morning YYZ flight moves to 9:15 from 10:55, making some of the connections much worse, and making it impossible for me to get a few hours of work in before flight time as I can do now.

If it were me and I was stuck for that long at YYZ after a TATL I would simply get a room at the Alt Hotel, which is easily reachable from the terminal, and usually has reasonable day rates. It’s quite a pleasant hotel and cheaper than the Sheraton in T3 usually.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:44 am

CPH-FRA-YYC-YXE ? CPH-FRA can be had on an AC codeshare, and the rest on AC metal. AC "should" be able to rebook you on the codeshare. Worst layover is 2:30 at FRA. 1h CNX at YYC (which may or may not be a bit of a challenge in and of itself, but if you miss that flight, its not the last one of the day out!).

9:55am departure from CPH, arrive at 5:29pm same-day.
YYC009 likes this.

Last edited by pitz; Apr 24, 2018 at 12:50 am
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
Similar issue happened to me coming out of AMS. I had no desire to spend 8 hours inYYZ so transitioned through YYC. It you can make it to Calgary by early afternoon you can catch the flight to YXE that arrives at 5:30. That’s the only reasonable option that I found.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by dinotoon
Similar issue happened to me coming out of AMS. I had no desire to spend 8 hours inYYZ so transitioned through YYC. It you can make it to Calgary by early afternoon you can catch the flight to YXE that arrives at 5:30. That’s the only reasonable option that I found.
That's a little more plausible because the KL AMS flight arrives earlier. The AC FRA (777) and LHR (789) flights have identical arrival times 1h prior to that flight leaving. Which means that >600 people have to somehow get through Customs. AC says its 'legal' per MCT, but I have my doubts....

KL/DL through MSP looks like a decent option though. 16h door-to-door. Maybe someone else can elaborate on whether AC's deletion of the mid-day flight would qualify you for a free refund of your AC ticket so you could pursue a different option.

Last edited by pitz; Apr 24, 2018 at 4:45 am
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by pitz
CPH-FRA-YYC-YXE ? CPH-FRA can be had on an AC codeshare, and the rest on AC metal. AC "should" be able to rebook you on the codeshare. Worst layover is 2:30 at FRA. 1h CNX at YYC (which may or may not be a bit of a challenge in and of itself, but if you miss that flight, its not the last one of the day out!).

9:55am departure from CPH, arrive at 5:29pm same-day.
I use to live in YXE and travel frequently into places like CPH. The YYC route is always the best. I would be less worried about the 1 hour connection in YYC. There are not guarantees, however if it is only a few minutes, it is not uncommon for AC to hold the YXE flight a few minutes to ensure connecting passengers from Heathrow or Frankfurt make the connection.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:18 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Maybe someone else can elaborate on whether AC's deletion of the mid-day flight would qualify you for a free refund of your AC ticket so you could pursue a different option.
OP hasn't mentioned exactly how much later the arrival to YXE is, but assuming it's several hours, yes, it should easily be enough to cancel and get a full refund if that's what OP wants.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I use to live in YXE and travel frequently into places like CPH. The YYC route is always the best. I would be less worried about the 1 hour connection in YYC. There are not guarantees, however if it is only a few minutes, it is not uncommon for AC to hold the YXE flight a few minutes to ensure connecting passengers from Heathrow or Frankfurt make the connection.
A few months ago we were delayed about an hour on LHR - YYC. SD made an announcement and said all YXE passengers were protected on the next flight 7 hours later. She then came by and showed my the print out from the fight deck that said they were holding the YYC-yxe plane for me and I should “run like hell to the gate”. Off the plane and through customs in about 5 minutes. When I made it to the gate, the agent said “we weren’t expecting you for another 10 minutes”. I boarded and they closed the door. I guess one of the SE perks
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
There is one a day YQR-YXE(-YOW) ... any chance the schedule works and you could fly -YYZ-YQR-YXE?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
have you looked in the air canada stop over.
if you are connecting through YYZ YUL or YVR for longer then 6 hours you can get a free or discounted hotel room.
you can move your flights to give you more time in YYZ to get a full night in at a hotel.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../stopover.html
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
CPH-FRA-YYC-YXE ? CPH-FRA can be had on an AC codeshare, and the rest on AC metal. AC "should" be able to rebook you on the codeshare. Worst layover is 2:30 at FRA. 1h CNX at YYC (which may or may not be a bit of a challenge in and of itself, but if you miss that flight, its not the last one of the day out!). 9:55am departure from CPH, arrive at 5:29pm same-day.
I think this is the best suggestion. Either CPH-FRA-YYC-YXE or CPH-LHR-YYC-YXE (via FRA on SK/LH, via LHR on SK).
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Given recent judgements OP is eligible for EC261 compensation of 600EUR + duty of care if arrival at final destination is over 4hrs late if I ubdeeunderthis correctly. As the journey originates in the EU, even if a connection outside the EU in the same itinerary is the cause of the delay.

Haven't seen it mentioned and perhaps skmeoso with more knowledge can weigh in, but that's not a bad payday. Go do some sight seeing and have a nice meal courtesy of AC
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Given recent judgements OP is eligible for EC261 compensation of 600EUR + duty of care if arrival at final destination is over 4hrs late if I ubdeeunderthis correctly. As the journey originates in the EU, even if a connection outside the EU in the same itinerary is the cause of the delay.

Haven't seen it mentioned and perhaps skmeoso with more knowledge can weigh in, but that's not a bad payday. Go do some sight seeing and have a nice meal courtesy of AC
If you are notified more than 2 weeks before departure, no compensation is due per EU261. OP says flight is in a month.
skywardhunter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.