Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can anyone explain Carrier Surcharges on Aeroplan award ticket to me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can anyone explain Carrier Surcharges on Aeroplan award ticket to me?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It's not a NAV Canada charge that's passed through, because airlines don't get charged per passenger. It's a charge made up by the airlines. See this post for details.

The "NAV Canada" charge is a scam, no more legitimate than a "pilot surcharge", "landing surcharge", or any other surcharge named after a fixed cost would be.
Thank you Adam Smith for the clarification and the details. I have looked at the calculator and I guess the airlines have determined (rightfully or wrongly) that the average is $7.50. To your point in the other post, the airlines may get substaintail discounts from NAV CANADA and thus may have determined that the average is only $3 and are pocketing the other $4.50.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:07 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by agjil
I searched for some more flights on Aeroplan.com, and it looks like the $7.50 NAV Canada charge is not charged on market fare flight rewards.
It seems this strange fee is only charged on fixed mileage flight rewards...how confusing.
Market fare is simply different. There's also no fuel surcharge applicable sometimes. But sometimes it does apply. It depends on the route and fare.

Originally Posted by Plumber
Thank you Adam Smith for the clarification and the details. I have looked at the calculator and I guess the airlines have determined (rightfully or wrongly) that the average is $7.50. To your point in the other post, the airlines may get substaintail discounts from NAV CANADA and thus may have determined that the average is only $3 and are pocketing the other $4.50.
I suspect that when NAVCAN was first privatized, they came up with an estimate of what they thought the average was going to be, decided to all charge the same thing, and have stuck with it. I suspect their true cost is lower, although I doubt it's as dramatic as $3 vs $7.50.

Either way, it's just yet another little F-U from the industry to customers, making us pay it on award tickets, excluding it from discount codes, etc. Not nearly as big a scam as YQ, but even more dishonest.
Plumber likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:22 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Small potatoes, but I'm kinda surprised that NAVCAN doesn't go after the airlines for misrepresentation.

If it were my company, I'd be annoyed about someone making false claims against my trademark. Especially claims that put my company in a negative light.
Twickenham and 24left like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Small potatoes, but I'm kinda surprised that NAVCAN doesn't go after the airlines for misrepresentation.

If it were my company, I'd be annoyed about someone making false claims against my trademark. Especially claims that put my company in a negative light.
Interesting perspective, I haven't really thought about it that way. Since NAVCAN is a not-for-profit corporation though, I'm not sure it really cares about that kind of stuff.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:38 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Maybe for the next Burgers and Scotch Do, you can add an ASMITH social coordination surcharge.

I'm sure it would go over well.
Adam Smith and 24left like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1

Isn't that why they renamed it to "carrier surcharge" ?
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Isn't that why they renamed it to "carrier surcharge" ?
I didn't realize that they were no longer calling it a NAV Canada surcharge in the detailed breakdown on ac.com, but you're right, that nomenclature is gone.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:02 am

Aeroplan website now adding carrier surcharge for SE

I just made the first Aeroplan booking in a few months and noticed that the website is now adding a carrier surcharge on SE accounts. Did a few tests with different domestic routes and it was being charged on all of them.

Wanted to give a heads up to anyone that's booked tickets recently and didn't look at the tax break down. Should be able to call in and get that refunded.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by bcnfish
Wanted to give a heads up to anyone that's booked tickets recently and didn't look at the tax break down. Should be able to call in and get that refunded.
Nope. This is the carrier surcharge that used to be the NAVCan fee. SEs still have to pay this. Only the fuel surcharge component of carrier surcharge is waived.

It has been this way for years.
canadiancow, Jebby_ca and bcnfish like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Nope. This is the carrier surcharge that used to be the NAVCan fee. SEs still have to pay this. Only the fuel surcharge component of carrier surcharge is waived.

It has been this way for years.
Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up
$30 definitely seems larger than anything I ever remember paying for NAVCan.

So if booking from a non SE account there would be multiple items included in "Carrier Surcharge" (Fuel, NAVCan, more?) but you wouldn't see the breakdown?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by bcnfish
Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up
$30 definitely seems larger than anything I ever remember paying for NAVCan.

So if booking from a non SE account there would be multiple items included in "Carrier Surcharge" (Fuel, NAVCan, more?) but you wouldn't see the breakdown?
Correct. Note the wording on the benefit description on the altitude site, and the added details under each of the benefits. Only the YQ (fuel surcharge) portion is waived. The Canada & US waiver applies to all altitude members. International is SE only. This wording has been on the Altitude site for years now...

https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...m-privileges#/

Carrier Surcharge (YQ only) Waiver on Flight Rewards - Canada & U.S.

For Fixed Mileage Flight Rewards reservations enjoy a carrier surcharge (YQ only) waiver for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rouge.

Carrier Surcharge (YQ only) Waiver on Flight Rewards - International

For Fixed Mileage Flight Rewards reservations enjoy a carrier fuel surcharge (YQ only) waiver for travel within Canada and international destinations on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rouge.
A while back I looked at booking via my account vs. my wife's, and the difference in charges on a a domestic flight wasn't insignificant.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG USER
A while back I looked at booking via my account vs. my wife's, and the difference in charges on a a domestic flight wasn't insignificant.
I could be off, but I believe it's something like $27 per person per direction.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I could be off, but I believe it's something like $27 per person per direction.
That seems about right. For the city pair I was looking at (on a RT booking) I think overall surcharges/taxes/etc. was $65pp on mine and $120pp on the other account. I don't think there was much AIF on the specific routing I was looking at - as a % increase, the magnitude of the increase for non-status will be smaller if flying from airports with higher AIF's, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.