Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can anyone explain Carrier Surcharges on Aeroplan award ticket to me?

Can anyone explain Carrier Surcharges on Aeroplan award ticket to me?

Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Stranger
It's that. But not just that. Also a work around some regulatinos in some countries for paid tickets.

Also of note, SEs are exempt.

I know SE's are exempt from this carrier surcharge for international award travel, but is that also the case for flights between Canada and the U.S.? I'm looking to book an award seat on AC in December (YVR to IAD). Using aeroplan.com to book, they're wanting to charge me a similar "carrier surcharge". So while mine is not nearly on the scale as the OP's "surcharge", this "surcharge" still makes this "free" ticket not such a good deal after all. Does aeroplan remove this charge after booking for SE's?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ajcopley
I know SE's are exempt from this carrier surcharge for international award travel, but is that also the case for flights between Canada and the U.S.? I'm looking to book an award seat on AC in December (YVR to IAD). Using aeroplan.com to book, they're wanting to charge me a similar "carrier surcharge". So while mine is not nearly on the scale as the OP's "surcharge", this "surcharge" still makes this "free" ticket not such a good deal after all. Does aeroplan remove this charge after booking for SE's?
@ajcopley

Ah, but you see it's all in the details

Since you didn't say if you were looking at one-way or RT or which dates, I picked a random one-way in August.

These taxes and fees are pretty much what i paid on my last redemption for a one-way to the U.S.

Look closely at exactly what part is "carrier surcharge" and what part is stuff like security theatre fees and such

And yes, depending on the actual paid ticket cost, it isn't always efficient to use Aeroplan miles

Last edited by 24left; Jun 12, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by 24left
@ajcopley

Ah, but you see it's all in the details

Since you didn't say if you were looking at one-way or RT or which dates, I picked a random one-way in August.

These taxes and fees are pretty much what i paid on my last redemption for a one-way to the U.S.

Look closely at exactly what part is "carrier surcharge" and what part is stuff like security theatre fees and such

And yes, depending on the actual paid ticket cost, it isn't always efficient to use Aeroplan miles

roundtrip in December. Carrier surcharge = $15.00 per ticket. X 4 tickets, and it's $60.00 I'd rather not have to pay. So then......am I hearing that carrier surcharge is NOT waived for U.S. flights for SE?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by ajcopley
roundtrip in December. Carrier surcharge = $15.00 per ticket. X 4 tickets, and it's $60.00 I'd rather not have to pay. So then......am I hearing that carrier surcharge is NOT waived for U.S. flights for SE?
IIRC Carrier Surcharge waiver is YQ (fuel) only and there are other types of surcharges in the “carrier surcharges” such as Nav Can, etc. At $7.50/direction the fuel surcharge portion is most definitely being waived.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:30 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Reward travel - carrier Surcharge ?

Looking to book for a friend to go to Frankfurt from Yul on Business reward.

Found a flight on AC to Lyon , then Lyon to Frankfurt on Luftansa. Total fees is 570.00 Huh !

IF I select only YUL to Lyon instead as my journey, fees are 60.00 only [ as SE no carrier surcharge on AC }

MY question is, is it correct that I get charged the carrier surcharge for the Lufthansa portion of Lyon to Frankfurt? or is it an error on Aerrorplan.

Thank you.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Of course you do.
Why wouldn't you pay scamcharges on LH?

AC charges based on full journey not segments.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:04 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
So AC charges 470,00 bucks for traveling for 80 mins from Lyon to FRA on LH when the first portion of the trip from Yul to Lyon is on AC.

If I book a separate reward from Lyon-to Fra the charges are 100 bucks +/-.

Guess I learn something everyday
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RZR
So AC charges 470,00 bucks for traveling for 80 mins from Lyon to FRA on LH when the first portion of the trip from Yul to Lyon is on AC.

No, AC charges for AAA-BBB-CCC based on AAA-CCC. Its a common scam they have going since these surcharges are never passed on to the operating carrier anyway. Try YYZ-PEK-SYD on AC/CA, even though the second leg has no scamcharge, they will charge you for YYZ-SYD.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RZR

That does not sound right. Last reward involving AC and LH had no surcharge. Admittedly in was issued last August for Feb. 2018.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I checked some random dates, sameitinerary. It gives me a return through BRU, with FRA-BRU in Y on LH. Total surcharges CAD 241.92.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
No, AC charges for AAA-BBB-CCC based on AAA-CCC. Its a common scam they have going since these surcharges are never passed on to the operating carrier anyway. Try YYZ-PEK-SYD on AC/CA, even though the second leg has no scamcharge, they will charge you for YYZ-SYD.
Are you sure as ZRH YUL YYZ doesn’t scam one flying LX then AC on these two segments?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94

Are you sure as ZRH YUL YYZ doesn’t scam one flying LX then AC on these two segments?
if the shorthaul is AC, and the long haul is not, I 've never paid scamcharges. And I would never redeem.my points on AC longhauls regardless of fees unless there was no other choice.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
if the shorthaul is AC, and the long haul is not, I 've never paid scamcharges. And I would never redeem.my points on AC longhauls regardless of fees unless there was no other choice.
Really? AC J beats a few *A J offerings. Scam fees are the main reason I’d avoid it.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Of course you do.
Why wouldn't you pay scamcharges on LH?

AC charges based on full journey not segments.
Agreed, it's pure unadulterated fraud.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94

Really? AC J beats a few *A J offerings. Scam fees are the main reason I’d avoid it.
Lets see. To Asia, I'd rather fly BR or OZ, or NH for low scamfees
To Europe I'd rather fly LX, TK or LO. And OS if paying scamfees

I'd probably fly AC J over AI, Copa. But not much else. Very happy SEs have AC flights scamfee free, leaves the good ones for the rest of us.

I do have my first Rouge flight coming up next month though. Sometimes AC is unavoidable for short connecting flights for Aeroplan tickets..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.