Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Please help me book my award flight (YQB/YUL/YOW to TXL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help me book my award flight (YQB/YUL/YOW to TXL)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACE50k,HHSilver, BW Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Accor, IHG, SPG, Choice, Hertz#1Gold
Question Please help me book my award flight (YQB/YUL/YOW to TXL)

Hi all,

Trying to find a good flight (one way) for our next Europe trip with the less YQ possible...
I read the YQ threads but have trouble finding correct flights for exemple going to the US before moving across to Europe...

2 adults
Economy or Priv Economy
Preferably from YQB but could start from YUL or YOW to Berlin
I'm open to do a flight south of the border to the US if needed...
July 28,29 or 30 2018

BTW, in Y class, which is better AC or LH?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Dolphin2
BTW, in Y class, which is better AC or LH?
No significant difference in my opinion. I usually book whatever is more convenient in terms of schedule. The wine is better on LH though, they (generously) serve from big bottles and I rather enjoy the German Riesling - much more so than the "La Vieille Forge" varnish remover AC serves in small plastic bottles. Otherwise, food, confort and IFE is more or less the same.

You will pay high YQ on both of these carriers btw. Look for flights on SN or LX, though I am not seeing any availability for these dates on most routes on these dates.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Nonstop UA EWR-TXL is available on July 30 for $7 tax.
Problem is getting to EWR.

YYZ-WAW-TXL on July 30 is also available with minimal YQ, but you would have to find a connecting flight to YYZ.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACE50k,HHSilver, BW Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Accor, IHG, SPG, Choice, Hertz#1Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Nonstop UA EWR-TXL is available on July 30 for $7 tax.
Problem is getting to EWR.

YYZ-WAW-TXL on July 30 is also available with minimal YQ, but you would have to find a connecting flight to YYZ.
Thanks!
WIll probably look for UA... Found some flights YQB-EWR....

How do I look about booking it because I can't do multicity for it... Find both one-way flights than call?

Another comparaison... UA vs Swiss?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!
WIll probably look for UA... Found some flights YQB-EWR....

How do I look about booking it because I can't do multicity for it... Find both one-way flights than call?

Another comparaison... UA vs Swiss?
Yes, call in after you put together your route, and feed the agent the flights. Remember you are allowed unlimited <24hr breaks in your journey, including overnights.
For economy, it really doesnt matter, just go with whatever is most convenient. Swiss will not allow you advanced seat assignements.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Yes, call in after you put together your route, and feed the agent the flights. Remember you are allowed unlimited <24hr breaks in your journey, including overnights.
For economy, it really doesnt matter, just go with whatever is most convenient. Swiss will not allow you advanced seat assignements.
SInce I want to get the lowest YQ possible...
If I book them in one shot by phone instead of two separate flights, will AP charge me the full YQ like a direct YQB-EWR? If not, if I book it, how do they calculate the points? 60k flat? If so, would it be a better idea to book those 2 separate on the web?

Found those on the 29th

If my YQB-EWR flight is with AC only (about 26 to 30k AP) (nothing else going down there so about 200$ fees)
YQB (05:30AM)-YUL-YOW-EWR (11:55AM)

and my 2nd flight EWR-TXL is (60k AP)

UA-SW (50$)
EWR(6:30PM)-ZRH-TXL
or
UA-LH (75$)
EWR (5:30PM)-MUC-TXL

PS: Looked at the WAW flight... 650$ YQ for 2 almost the same as YQB-TXL
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
LX Biz Class is frequently open YUL-ZRH-TXL. 2 ow tickets = 110,000 miles. If you are short, the top-up charge my be less than the YQ on the others, and definitely a nice way to fly. Best daily connection is LX087/LX974.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
LX Biz Class is frequently open YUL-ZRH-TXL. 2 ow tickets = 110,000 miles. If you are short, the top-up charge my be less than the YQ on the others, and definitely a nice way to fly. Best daily connection is LX087/LX974.
Thanks

How do I check them? Do I see those on the AP website?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SInce I want to get the lowest YQ possible...
If I book them in one shot by phone instead of two separate flights, will AP charge me the full YQ like a direct YQB-EWR? If not, if I book it, how do they calculate the points? 60k flat? If so, would it be a better idea to book those 2 separate on the web?

Found those on the 29th

If my YQB-EWR flight is with AC only (about 26 to 30k AP) (nothing else going down there so about 200$ fees)
YQB (05:30AM)-YUL-YOW-EWR (11:55AM)

and my 2nd flight EWR-TXL is (60k AP)

UA-SW (50$)
EWR(6:30PM)-ZRH-TXL
or
UA-LH (75$)
EWR (5:30PM)-MUC-TXL

PS: Looked at the WAW flight... 650$ YQ for 2 almost the same as YQB-TXL
Not quite how that works, you dont need 2 awards. It will all price out as one award YQB-xxx-EWR-TXL, and will not have any YQ, unless you fly LH over the water, or within Europe. The only time you ll need 2 awards if the YQB-EWR ticket is a separtate market fare ticket - which is a horrible use of points becuase it basically reflects 0.8 points per cent, may as well pay cash.

The fees you see when you look at it separately wont necessarily add up
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Not quite how that works, you dont need 2 awards. It will all price out as one award YQB-xxx-EWR-TXL, and will not have any YQ, unless you fly LH over the water, or within Europe. The only time you ll need 2 awards if the YQB-EWR ticket is a separtate market fare ticket - which is a horrible use of points becuase it basically reflects 0.8 points per cent, may as well pay cash.

The fees you see when you look at it separately wont necessarily add up
Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Finally,

Will be in Y but I have two options on the way there:

AC874 in a 788 or AC878 in a 777-300

Any recommendations about seats? I know 788 is newer but is it better?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:00 pm

Finally,

Will be in Y but I have two options on the way there:

AC874 in a 788 or AC878 in a 777-300

Any recommendations about seats? I know 788 is newer but is it better?
Both are probably equally crappy in Y. 3-4-3 on 777 or 3-3-3 in 787. I’d probably pick the 787 if you’ve never been on one before.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Though choice, reviews are not that good in Y in 787....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.