how is fare difference calculated?

Old Apr 16, 18, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Question how is fare difference calculated?

Hi

Can someone answer a quick question? I am trying to change a flight for the return leg of an economy (L) class for my mother in law. (Vienna to Edmonton)
Is the fare difference calculated on the difference between what she paid and the new ONE-WAY fare in the lowest class available?
thanks
Old Apr 16, 18, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
No, if you're just changing one leg of a round trip, it will re-price against the applicable fare for a round trip.
Old Apr 17, 18, 1:07 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
No, if you're just changing one leg of a round trip, it will re-price against the applicable fare for a round trip.
Well, half the applicable R/T fare available at the time of the change , e.g. advance purchase and stay requirements, not the original fare which might have been a fraction of the price vs. now because then, it had conditions.

I just changed a semi restricted AV fare due to the storm in Toronto 3 days before the return date, choosing to stay two more days in Central America (36 deg. C tomorrow) and while the first fare was in D, for around $1,300, the repriced return leg was 1/2 a J R/T fare and was $400 more (being the 1/2 J fare minus 1/2 the value of what I paid for the return leg) plus a fee. Still the combined cost was $1,900 vs. a slightly more open AV fare originally of $2,200 or fully open of $2,600, so I still did better than buying fully open.

No doubt any other airline will do the same, if not people will buy A, D, I, Q, W, X fares with a wrong itinerary and then try to switch for a smaller differential and fee on a fare they would not have originally had to pay.

So the OP needs to be aware if the change is very close to departure it may wind up being nearly a one way fare and try to anticipate the need for change as far out as possible so lower pricing based on timing may be available.

Search this Thread