Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Int. Business Class & select wide-body N. America aircraft become 'Signature Service'

Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chowtime
NEW! International Business Class Service Enhancements Eff. April 17 on Wide-Body Aircraft

Possibly to be rebranded Rebranded as Air Canada Signature Service Please see post #51 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29644079-post51.html

I started this thread and wiki in advance of the rebranding launch in order to preempt the multiple new threads that will be inevitably started, and giving a bit more "glue" to the information mixed in several other threads, as we have already started seeing.

The main purpose is to have all the rebranding information housed under this one thread.

Over time, as the rebranded products and services become mainstay and the norm, I anticipate that topics will go under their regular main threads such as International J meals, amenity kits, etc. At the same time, there is nothing wrong with posting in the other existing threads as well.

My international flying has been limited as of late, so any feedback, information, details, opinions, etc. from the rest here would be appreciated!

Thanks,

- yyznomad

Press release courtesy of tcook052 in post #93:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29650400-post93.html

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-elevates-premium-travel-experience-for-international-and-north-american-customers-679968583.html

MONTREAL, April 17, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today introduced its new Air Canada Signature Service, providing an enhanced and seamless end-to-end travel experience for customers flying in Air Canada Signature Class, the premium cabin of its wide-body aircraft. Available today for international customers and, starting June 1 on select flights within North America, the new service makes Air Canada the first North American airline to designate aircraft with lie-flat seats for premium customers on select non-stop, transcontinental flights within Canada and to the U.S., including overnight daily flights from Vancouver, Los Angeles and San Francisco to Toronto.

Air Canada Signature Service customers will receive priority service at every stage of the journey, including access to airport concierge services, expedited check-in and security clearance, priority baggage handling and preferential boarding. Customers will also enjoy Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge access and, for eligible customers travelling to international destinations from Toronto-Pearson, access to the exclusive Air Canada Signature Suite, featuring la carte restaurant dining from a menu created by celebrated Canadian chef David Hawksworth.

"Our new Air Canada Signature Service and Air Canada Signature Class brands reflect the ongoing refinements to our premium travel service. We know our premium customers travelling on longer flight itineraries place a high value on convenience and comfort when in airports or onboard an aircraft, and with Air Canada Signature Service we provide a level of service unsurpassed in North America on every widebody flight," said Benjamin Smith, President of Passenger Airlines, Air Canada.

"Customers travelling Air Canada Signature Class on international itineraries and, beginning in June, on select transcontinental flights within North America, will receive seamless Air Canada Signature Service. They will enjoy added amenities throughout their journey, from curbside-to-curbside and at all points in between."

Available starting today on all Air Canada international flights and beginning June 1 on select transcontinental flights within North America, Air Canada Signature Service and Air Canada Signature Class incorporate and elevate the award-winning attributes of Air Canada's International Business Class, featuring its next generation lie-flat suites. Air Canada Signature Service will be available on select transborder and domestic Canadian transcontinental flights when operated with Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Boeing 777, Boeing 767 and Airbus A330 aircraft. This includes routes between Toronto and the cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver, and between Vancouver and the cities of New York-Newark and Montreal.

To note, Air Canada Signature Service with lie-flat suites to provide a full night's rest will be available daily on the following North American non-stop overnight flights beginning June 1.

Flight
Departs
Arrives
Aircraft
AC126
Vancouver 22:35
Toronto 05:55 + 1 day
Boeing 777
AC788
Los Angeles 22:15
Toronto 05:52 + 1 day
Boeing 787
AC754
San Francisco 22:45
Toronto 06:37 + 1 day
Boeing 787

Air Canada Signature Class also introduces new amenities to make the journey even more comfortable, including:

Updated onboard menu items from chef David Hawksworth, including for the first time on flights serving lunch and dinner in North America Air Canada Signature Class starting June 1, and a South Asian menu by chef Vikram Vij on flights to Mumbai and New Delhi, complemented by an expanded wine selection chosen by Air Canada sommelier Vronique Rivest; service on new restaurant style dishware and glassware;
For transcontinental travellers, enhanced wine and spirits, and the added option of espresso and cappuccino served with dessert or a new cheese selection, while for international travellers Air Canada will now offer Laurent-Perrier champagne; on all routes, customers will be able to enjoy the new Air Canada Signature Cocktail;
For international travelers, personal comfort items by Canadian brands, including enhanced amenity kits by Want Les Essentiels, with premium care products by vitruvi;
Mattress pads to enhance the sleep experience;
At Air Canada's Toronto-Pearson global hub, full fare Air Canada Signature Class customers departing on International flights will have access to the Air Canada Signature Suite. The suite is an exclusive airport retreat, where eligible customers can dine la carte at a complimentary, full-service restaurant from a menu created by chef Hawksworth, or enjoy, Moet & Chandon champagne, fine wines and premium cocktails in an intimate, Canadian-designed and decorated setting;
For full fare premium cabin customers originating in Toronto-Pearson or arriving at Toronto-Pearson originating from a domestic flight with onward international travel, Air Canada will also provide Air Canada Valet Service, powered by BMW, starting later in 2018. It is the first dedicated service offered by an airline in North America for customers booked in a premium cabin, where a dedicated fleet of BMW sedans whisk customers over the tarmac to connect, making connecting at Toronto-Pearson truly exclusive and seamless.

AFAIK, credit goes to supremekai for posting this information (and providing a useful link to the image!) in the master Amenity Kit thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29633632-post110.html

NEW! International Business Class Service Enhancements Effective April 17 on Wide-Body Aircraft

Amenities - Service Items
  • Matress pads folded in plastic wrap and placed at Pods by Cabin Services for customers to lay out themselves
  • New amenity kit by Montreal-based WANT Les Essentiels including premium eyeshades, microfibre cloth and vitruvi lip balm and lotion
  • Redesigned menu
  • New dishware and glassware (no change to cutlery, cups, champagne glass in J or stemmed wine glass in PY at this time)
  • New premium skincare products by Vancouver-based vitruvi in the J lavatories: soap, hand loation, facial mist

Beverage Service
  • Mimosa offered as a pre-departure beverage on breakfast flights (replaces sparkling water)
  • New signature cocktail (1 mini of bourbon, 1 sachet of maple syrup (packets in bar carts), 1-part Sprite and 2-parts ginger ale, served over ice, stirred and garnished with 2 slices of lemon)
  • New Champagne brand

Meal Service
  • Garlic bread as a third selection (international only)
  • Spring/summer wine program
  • Chef Hawksworth's new signature dishes

*Please note: International and select route wide-body Business class will be rebranded on April 17 with a new name.

Please note that there have been anecdotal instances of new service/products being introduced prior to the official rebranding launch date:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29611852-post2081.html
Originally Posted by BarrieTravelGuy
I overheard a flight attendant and pax talking about some huge launch on April 17th. All new drinks (including Mimosas) as well as all new food menus. Has anyone else heard this? I didnt see anything in here about it. What was interesting was that they were talking about a re-branding if Business Class... I didnt know if it was just the food or something else.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29579069-post2051.html
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
When did AC switch to serving Laurent-Perrier Champagne Brut onboard instead of the stuff they normally serve. It seems the menus for flights in April are showing a change. Did I miss this?? I much prefer the new Champagne on offer.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29580786-post2056.html
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Two very notable changes there.
>After a long and successful run the Drappier is being retired and Laurent-Perrier Champagne is being introduced
>The Hawksworth Chocolate Fondant bids adieu in favour of a new dessert. Brown Sugar Tart with Custard.

The fabulously popular Duck Leg Entree makes a return.

FYI - the launch of the above has been delayed slightly till mid month (April).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29635471-post2102.html
Originally Posted by lallied
I had garlic bread on AC34 on the 11th. Nice and herby. Not sure whether just SYD or the change as no mimosa and didnt check bubbles . They also said will be mattress pads for J seats.

June 1 2018 - Post 288

North American Signature Service description now on AC.com

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29820459-post288.html

NEW - Detailed Trancontinental Signature Class Video Review
https://youtu.be/enlUZw_8po8
Print Wikipost

Int. Business Class & select wide-body N. America aircraft become 'Signature Service'

Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Looks like many people have the same issue in respect to sleeping on our side.

Transpacificflyer: My one concern is that I find the seats are a tight fit for sleeping. My thighs and legs can get wedged up against the tray table and I fear that the mattress may make this an even tighter fit.

Jumper Jack; I suppose with the mattress pad, sleeping on the side went from uncomfortable to near impossible for me lol.
I am just pointing out this affects my ability to sleep on the side.
All they had to do to make me happy was to shift the tray table a few more inches up.

Plumber: think he means if you want to side sleep that there is barely enough room already to do so.
If you add a mattress pad (great adddtion imho) , then there will not be enough room for many people to side sleep. Love the mattress pad- wish the tray table was higher, or somewhere different!
Simon; The side sleeping thing is a huge issue for me. I have no idea why they built that shelf with the curved indent underneath. The curved extension serves no purpose, functional or aesthetic, and I have not come across it on any of the other airlines we fly internationally on. I wonder if they're even aware.

I hope the folks at AC are reading this and can work on a fix. There's a lot of space wasted with the plastic structure. Please have mercy on those of us who sleep on our sides.
I am not a big person (5' 5") and I find it difficult to sleep sideways in that confined space. that tray could have been hidden in the side like other airlines. on a HND-YYZ run recently the mechanism got stuck and it was even lower than normal during the flight.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by pewpew
As someone who doesn't drink, I wonder how this signature drink would taste without the bourbon
Very sweet? I applaud the effort to make improvements to the soft product, though.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by karachi
I am not a big person (5' 5") and I find it difficult to sleep sideways in that confined space. that tray could have been hidden in the side like other airlines. on a HND-YYZ run recently the mechanism got stuck and it was even lower than normal during the flight.
I find this true on the 777 and really avoid it in J if at all possible. With a mattress pad, there is no way I could sleep on my side in a 777 execupod
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
..... all they had to do to make me happy was to shift the tray table a few more inches up.
Shifting it "up" would not be practical for all of those who are shorter, or have shorter bodies relative to longer legs kind of thing. The height of the table is a challenge when eating as it is already high, and the pods seats are very low - when inflated.

I have no idea why AC chose this particular seat. Obviously it was what they wanted.

I posted in the other thread photos of my experience on AA's new B789. They have the same pods (with some added features), but 2 things are very different:

1. AA has a completely different seat. It is nothing like AC's. It was extremely comfortable for the 15 hour flight.

2. AA has the same table of course, but when using their mattress pad and side-sleeping, the table did not touch me nor did I get the usual bruises on my legs like I do on AC.

We already know that the space in the pods on the 787s is a bit larger than on the 777s, but the table is equally annoying.

------------

As for the mattress pad.... In the image in the wiki, there is a line that says:

"Mattress pads folder in plastic wrap and placed at Pods by Cabin Services for customers to lay out themselves."

I am not sure if Cabin Services are the groomers who put out the current comforters and pillow or the cabin crew, or both.

However, I do hope ALL of it is in plastic. AA's entire package of pillow, comforter and mattress pad is all in one sealed package and is on the seat when you board. BR also has a mattress pad in a sealed package.

After finding other people's hair on my pillows when boarding a few AC flights, I've resorted to bringing my own covering. It's gross.

Other than those here on AC FT who already know the answer, I suppose we will all find out this week if it's a single sealed package or if the mattress pad and comforter are sealed in their own packages, together or .....

I like the idea of a signature drink. Last year, I posted a link to an enRoute feature where different bartenders from across the country had developed some very unique drinks. I also posted about the 2 Signature Drinks that CX offers - one non-alcoholic and I've always thought it was a nice touch. I think SQ has them as well.

I do commend AC for making these changes.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by vernonc
Comfort Class so we can have more confusion :-)
Now, that would be too apropos and easy.

Methinks it will be related to the newest tranquil space in the system.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Air Canada Signature Class?

Looks like there was a potential leak on pressreader with a NAVI edition prematurely loaded and then yanked? Or maybe it wasn't a leak at all. Or whatever.
Anyway, I'll leave this here for all of you to fight over and speculate like rabid donkeys.

Last edited by yyznomad; Apr 15, 2018 at 7:29 pm Reason: Removed untrustworthy FT uploader image and use a legit hosted image.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by yyznomad

Looks like there was a potential leak on pressreader with a NAVI edition prematurely loaded and then yanked? Or maybe it wasn't a leak at all. Or whatever.
Anyway, I'll leave this here for all of you to fight over and speculate like rabid donkeys.

Interesting...

If it were up to me, I'd say stop faffing around with naming and focus on the product. But I'm glad they didn't go for something silly / confusing / misleading like "Signature First" (a la "Executive First").
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Interesting...

If it were up to me, I'd say stop faffing around with naming and focus on the product. But I'm glad they didn't go for something silly / confusing / misleading like "Signature First" (a la "Executive First").
I like Maple Leaf Class.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Can you guys see this?

Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Right.

So boarding at YVR, I see this sign at the jet bridge. In terms of the topic of this thread. if AC plans to rename International Business Class, will they be updating all materials such as these toothpaste signs?

Also, as there is no GA or other AC employee at this point in boarding, many Y pax turn to the left and board at L1.

Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by eastcoastcan
I find this true on the 777 and really avoid it in J if at all possible. With a mattress pad, there is no way I could sleep on my side in a 777 execupod
The mattress pad is optional... if you dont like it you can remove it.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Signature drink and mattress pad already offered on EVA Air... this is just catch up
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cooleddie
The mattress pad is optional... if you dont like it you can remove it.
It is not something you have to remove.

In the image in the wiki, there is a line that says:

"Mattress pads folder in plastic wrap and placed at Pods by Cabin Services for customers to lay out themselves."

Signature drink and mattress pad already offered on EVA Air... this is just catch up
See post 49
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
The main difference is that the mattress pad is "installed" by EVA staff, unlike AC which expects its customers to not only pay but to also do the work.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
The main difference is that the mattress pad is "installed" by EVA staff, unlike AC which expects its customers to not only pay but to also do the work.
Good way for AC to pad the bottom line if customers DIY.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.