Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Int. Business Class & select wide-body N. America aircraft become 'Signature Service'

Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chowtime
NEW! International Business Class Service Enhancements Eff. April 17 on Wide-Body Aircraft

Possibly to be rebranded Rebranded as Air Canada Signature Service Please see post #51 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29644079-post51.html

I started this thread and wiki in advance of the rebranding launch in order to preempt the multiple new threads that will be inevitably started, and giving a bit more "glue" to the information mixed in several other threads, as we have already started seeing.

The main purpose is to have all the rebranding information housed under this one thread.

Over time, as the rebranded products and services become mainstay and the norm, I anticipate that topics will go under their regular main threads such as International J meals, amenity kits, etc. At the same time, there is nothing wrong with posting in the other existing threads as well.

My international flying has been limited as of late, so any feedback, information, details, opinions, etc. from the rest here would be appreciated!

Thanks,

- yyznomad

Press release courtesy of tcook052 in post #93:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29650400-post93.html

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-elevates-premium-travel-experience-for-international-and-north-american-customers-679968583.html

MONTREAL, April 17, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today introduced its new Air Canada Signature Service, providing an enhanced and seamless end-to-end travel experience for customers flying in Air Canada Signature Class, the premium cabin of its wide-body aircraft. Available today for international customers and, starting June 1 on select flights within North America, the new service makes Air Canada the first North American airline to designate aircraft with lie-flat seats for premium customers on select non-stop, transcontinental flights within Canada and to the U.S., including overnight daily flights from Vancouver, Los Angeles and San Francisco to Toronto.

Air Canada Signature Service customers will receive priority service at every stage of the journey, including access to airport concierge services, expedited check-in and security clearance, priority baggage handling and preferential boarding. Customers will also enjoy Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge access and, for eligible customers travelling to international destinations from Toronto-Pearson, access to the exclusive Air Canada Signature Suite, featuring ŕ la carte restaurant dining from a menu created by celebrated Canadian chef David Hawksworth.

"Our new Air Canada Signature Service and Air Canada Signature Class brands reflect the ongoing refinements to our premium travel service. We know our premium customers travelling on longer flight itineraries place a high value on convenience and comfort when in airports or onboard an aircraft, and with Air Canada Signature Service we provide a level of service unsurpassed in North America on every widebody flight," said Benjamin Smith, President of Passenger Airlines, Air Canada.

"Customers travelling Air Canada Signature Class on international itineraries and, beginning in June, on select transcontinental flights within North America, will receive seamless Air Canada Signature Service. They will enjoy added amenities throughout their journey, from curbside-to-curbside and at all points in between."

Available starting today on all Air Canada international flights and beginning June 1 on select transcontinental flights within North America, Air Canada Signature Service and Air Canada Signature Class incorporate and elevate the award-winning attributes of Air Canada's International Business Class, featuring its next generation lie-flat suites. Air Canada Signature Service will be available on select transborder and domestic Canadian transcontinental flights when operated with Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Boeing 777, Boeing 767 and Airbus A330 aircraft. This includes routes between Toronto and the cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver, and between Vancouver and the cities of New York-Newark and Montreal.

To note, Air Canada Signature Service with lie-flat suites to provide a full night's rest will be available daily on the following North American non-stop overnight flights beginning June 1.

Flight
Departs
Arrives
Aircraft
AC126
Vancouver 22:35
Toronto 05:55 + 1 day
Boeing 777
AC788
Los Angeles 22:15
Toronto 05:52 + 1 day
Boeing 787
AC754
San Francisco 22:45
Toronto 06:37 + 1 day
Boeing 787

Air Canada Signature Class also introduces new amenities to make the journey even more comfortable, including:

Updated onboard menu items from chef David Hawksworth, including for the first time on flights serving lunch and dinner in North America Air Canada Signature Class starting June 1, and a South Asian menu by chef Vikram Vij on flights to Mumbai and New Delhi, complemented by an expanded wine selection chosen by Air Canada sommelier Véronique Rivest; service on new restaurant style dishware and glassware;
For transcontinental travellers, enhanced wine and spirits, and the added option of espresso and cappuccino served with dessert or a new cheese selection, while for international travellers Air Canada will now offer Laurent-Perrier champagne; on all routes, customers will be able to enjoy the new Air Canada Signature Cocktail;
For international travelers, personal comfort items by Canadian brands, including enhanced amenity kits by Want Les Essentiels, with premium care products by vitruvi;
Mattress pads to enhance the sleep experience;
At Air Canada's Toronto-Pearson global hub, full fare Air Canada Signature Class customers departing on International flights will have access to the Air Canada Signature Suite. The suite is an exclusive airport retreat, where eligible customers can dine ŕ la carte at a complimentary, full-service restaurant from a menu created by chef Hawksworth, or enjoy, Moet & Chandon champagne, fine wines and premium cocktails in an intimate, Canadian-designed and decorated setting;
For full fare premium cabin customers originating in Toronto-Pearson or arriving at Toronto-Pearson originating from a domestic flight with onward international travel, Air Canada will also provide Air Canada Valet Service, powered by BMW, starting later in 2018. It is the first dedicated service offered by an airline in North America for customers booked in a premium cabin, where a dedicated fleet of BMW sedans whisk customers over the tarmac to connect, making connecting at Toronto-Pearson truly exclusive and seamless.

AFAIK, credit goes to supremekai for posting this information (and providing a useful link to the image!) in the master Amenity Kit thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29633632-post110.html

NEW! International Business Class Service Enhancements Effective April 17 on Wide-Body Aircraft

Amenities - Service Items
  • Matress pads folded in plastic wrap and placed at Pods by Cabin Services for customers to lay out themselves
  • New amenity kit by Montreal-based WANT Les Essentiels including premium eyeshades, microfibre cloth and vitruvi lip balm and lotion
  • Redesigned menu
  • New dishware and glassware (no change to cutlery, cups, champagne glass in J or stemmed wine glass in PY at this time)
  • New premium skincare products by Vancouver-based vitruvi in the J lavatories: soap, hand loation, facial mist

Beverage Service
  • Mimosa offered as a pre-departure beverage on breakfast flights (replaces sparkling water)
  • New signature cocktail (1 mini of bourbon, 1 sachet of maple syrup (packets in bar carts), 1-part Sprite and 2-parts ginger ale, served over ice, stirred and garnished with 2 slices of lemon)
  • New Champagne brand

Meal Service
  • Garlic bread as a third selection (international only)
  • Spring/summer wine program
  • Chef Hawksworth's new signature dishes

*Please note: International and select route wide-body Business class will be rebranded on April 17 with a new name.

Please note that there have been anecdotal instances of new service/products being introduced prior to the official rebranding launch date:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29611852-post2081.html
Originally Posted by BarrieTravelGuy
I overheard a flight attendant and pax talking about some huge launch on April 17th. All new drinks (including Mimosas) as well as all new food menus. Has anyone else heard this? I didn’t see anything in here about it. What was interesting was that they were talking about a re-branding if Business Class... I didn’t know if it was just the food or something else.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29579069-post2051.html
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
When did AC switch to serving Laurent-Perrier Champagne Brut onboard instead of the stuff they normally serve. It seems the menus for flights in April are showing a change. Did I miss this?? I much prefer the new Champagne on offer.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29580786-post2056.html
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Two very notable changes there.
>After a long and successful run the Drappier is being retired and Laurent-Perrier Champagne is being introduced
>The Hawksworth Chocolate Fondant bids adieu in favour of a new dessert. Brown Sugar Tart with Custard.

The fabulously popular Duck Leg Entree makes a return.

FYI - the launch of the above has been delayed slightly till mid month (April).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29635471-post2102.html
Originally Posted by lallied
I had garlic bread on AC34 on the 11th. Nice and herby. Not sure whether just SYD or the change as no mimosa and didn’t check bubbles . They also said will be mattress pads for J seats.

June 1 2018 - Post 288

North American Signature Service description now on AC.com

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29820459-post288.html

NEW - Detailed Trancontinental Signature Class Video Review
https://youtu.be/enlUZw_8po8
Print Wikipost

Int. Business Class & select wide-body N. America aircraft become 'Signature Service'

Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Did I read correctly that concierge service for non-SE is now limited to revenue J pax? But also available to both international and widebody transcon?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yvr76
Did I read correctly that concierge service for non-SE is now limited to revenue J pax? But also available to both international and widebody transcon?
So what's new? Although now apparently added for J widebody transcon?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Stranger
So what's new? Although now apparently added for J widebody transcon?
I don't think the limitation of revenue J was there for international pax. i.e. if you were on an Aeroplan reward ticket you could have in-airport concierge service.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
QUOTE:
"Well done, Air Canada"

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....ature-service/

Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by 24left
I'm always a bit surprised by how much of an AC fan Lucky seems to be given the amount and diversity of premium travel he does. To each his own I guess!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yvr76
I don't think the limitation of revenue J was there for international pax. i.e. if you were on an Aeroplan reward ticket you could have in-airport concierge service.
OK, I see your point...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:55 am

Hey, CP24 has news today that Air Canada will be offering lie-flat seats on some of its North American flights!

https://www.cp24.com/lifestyle/trave...ghts-1.3888581

Including, whoah, get this ... on flights between Vancouver, Los Angeles and San Francisco to Toronto ....

Whoah, who would have ever thought they would do this?

(snark)
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Hey, CP24 has news today that Air Canada will be offering lie-flat seats on some of its North American flights!

https://www.cp24.com/lifestyle/trave...ghts-1.3888581

Including, whoah, get this ... on flights between Vancouver, Los Angeles and San Francisco to Toronto ....

Whoah, who would have ever thought they would do this?

(snark)
Globe also discovered this today. I didn't think it was worth mentioning though...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by mjrobson
I wonder if their new enhancements include making sure the champagne and white wine are actually cold... I don't see it explicitly called out.
I want some of the optimism you have in your life!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AC*SE, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Just in the YYZ Dom MLL now. They are making the new Signature Class drink for people and giving out lobster salad ... the drink is great!
Queen B likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I looked at the new wine list, which I had hoped had qualified for a somewhat enhanced budget. Alas, not quite...

New champagne is a good $10 more than the Drappier. But the wine budget remains just as pathetic as in the past.

The Ribera del Duero comes up at USD 12 somewhere. The Pelham pinot noir is about CAD 15. The Italian red may cost around $25-30, distinctly more than the other two; I seem to recall a similar one a year or so back, that was not too bad. The Loire white is cheap too.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:19 am

They really planned for a smooth roll-out for such a premium service:

Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan
So am I naive to think that this is gonna be as good as it looks on the ad video?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by capedreamer
They really planned for a smooth roll-out for such a premium service:

Actually, I think the rollout has been amazing. You can still book United Polaris and not get a Polaris seat, but AC didn't launch the full Signature product until everything was ready. The only thing that's really missing are Signature Suites in YVR and YUL.

This has taken years of planning (I think I first heard rumblings of the SS in 2015, around the time the limo transfer began), and rather than "launch now, implement later" (i.e. United), they decided to get everything implemented, and then launch it when all it required was a press release, a basket of garlic bread, and some mattress pads.

A lot of people on FT seem to underestimate how long it takes to do things like this (even with perfect examples like United Polaris, where everything was done in the open). The fact that AC's website doesn't work (which should not come as a surprise to anyone) should not detract from the launch of Signature Service.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Actually, I think the rollout has been amazing. You can still book United Polaris and not get a Polaris seat, but AC didn't launch the full Signature product until everything was ready. The only thing that's really missing are Signature Suites in YVR and YUL.

This has taken years of planning (I think I first heard rumblings of the SS in 2015, around the time the limo transfer began), and rather than "launch now, implement later" (i.e. United), they decided to get everything implemented, and then launch it when all it required was a press release, a basket of garlic bread, and some mattress pads.

A lot of people on FT seem to underestimate how long it takes to do things like this (even with perfect examples like United Polaris, where everything was done in the open). The fact that AC's website doesn't work (which should not come as a surprise to anyone) should not detract from the launch of Signature Service.
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for United's approach (announcing something before it's ready). I prefer what AC intended to do. I'm just saying the devil is in the details, especially if you're selling a premium product.
ffsim likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.