Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Int. Business Class & select wide-body N. America aircraft become 'Signature Service'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chowtime
NEW! International Business Class Service Enhancements Eff. April 17 on Wide-Body Aircraft

Possibly to be rebranded Rebranded as Air Canada Signature Service Please see post #51 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29644079-post51.html

I started this thread and wiki in advance of the rebranding launch in order to preempt the multiple new threads that will be inevitably started, and giving a bit more "glue" to the information mixed in several other threads, as we have already started seeing.

The main purpose is to have all the rebranding information housed under this one thread.

Over time, as the rebranded products and services become mainstay and the norm, I anticipate that topics will go under their regular main threads such as International J meals, amenity kits, etc. At the same time, there is nothing wrong with posting in the other existing threads as well.

My international flying has been limited as of late, so any feedback, information, details, opinions, etc. from the rest here would be appreciated!

Thanks,

- yyznomad

Press release courtesy of tcook052 in post #93:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29650400-post93.html

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-elevates-premium-travel-experience-for-international-and-north-american-customers-679968583.html

MONTREAL, April 17, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today introduced its new Air Canada Signature Service, providing an enhanced and seamless end-to-end travel experience for customers flying in Air Canada Signature Class, the premium cabin of its wide-body aircraft. Available today for international customers and, starting June 1 on select flights within North America, the new service makes Air Canada the first North American airline to designate aircraft with lie-flat seats for premium customers on select non-stop, transcontinental flights within Canada and to the U.S., including overnight daily flights from Vancouver, Los Angeles and San Francisco to Toronto.

Air Canada Signature Service customers will receive priority service at every stage of the journey, including access to airport concierge services, expedited check-in and security clearance, priority baggage handling and preferential boarding. Customers will also enjoy Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge access and, for eligible customers travelling to international destinations from Toronto-Pearson, access to the exclusive Air Canada Signature Suite, featuring ŕ la carte restaurant dining from a menu created by celebrated Canadian chef David Hawksworth.

"Our new Air Canada Signature Service and Air Canada Signature Class brands reflect the ongoing refinements to our premium travel service. We know our premium customers travelling on longer flight itineraries place a high value on convenience and comfort when in airports or onboard an aircraft, and with Air Canada Signature Service we provide a level of service unsurpassed in North America on every widebody flight," said Benjamin Smith, President of Passenger Airlines, Air Canada.

"Customers travelling Air Canada Signature Class on international itineraries and, beginning in June, on select transcontinental flights within North America, will receive seamless Air Canada Signature Service. They will enjoy added amenities throughout their journey, from curbside-to-curbside and at all points in between."

Available starting today on all Air Canada international flights and beginning June 1 on select transcontinental flights within North America, Air Canada Signature Service and Air Canada Signature Class incorporate and elevate the award-winning attributes of Air Canada's International Business Class, featuring its next generation lie-flat suites. Air Canada Signature Service will be available on select transborder and domestic Canadian transcontinental flights when operated with Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Boeing 777, Boeing 767 and Airbus A330 aircraft. This includes routes between Toronto and the cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver, and between Vancouver and the cities of New York-Newark and Montreal.

To note, Air Canada Signature Service with lie-flat suites to provide a full night's rest will be available daily on the following North American non-stop overnight flights beginning June 1.

Flight
Departs
Arrives
Aircraft
AC126
Vancouver 22:35
Toronto 05:55 + 1 day
Boeing 777
AC788
Los Angeles 22:15
Toronto 05:52 + 1 day
Boeing 787
AC754
San Francisco 22:45
Toronto 06:37 + 1 day
Boeing 787

Air Canada Signature Class also introduces new amenities to make the journey even more comfortable, including:

Updated onboard menu items from chef David Hawksworth, including for the first time on flights serving lunch and dinner in North America Air Canada Signature Class starting June 1, and a South Asian menu by chef Vikram Vij on flights to Mumbai and New Delhi, complemented by an expanded wine selection chosen by Air Canada sommelier Véronique Rivest; service on new restaurant style dishware and glassware;
For transcontinental travellers, enhanced wine and spirits, and the added option of espresso and cappuccino served with dessert or a new cheese selection, while for international travellers Air Canada will now offer Laurent-Perrier champagne; on all routes, customers will be able to enjoy the new Air Canada Signature Cocktail;
For international travelers, personal comfort items by Canadian brands, including enhanced amenity kits by Want Les Essentiels, with premium care products by vitruvi;
Mattress pads to enhance the sleep experience;
At Air Canada's Toronto-Pearson global hub, full fare Air Canada Signature Class customers departing on International flights will have access to the Air Canada Signature Suite. The suite is an exclusive airport retreat, where eligible customers can dine ŕ la carte at a complimentary, full-service restaurant from a menu created by chef Hawksworth, or enjoy, Moet & Chandon champagne, fine wines and premium cocktails in an intimate, Canadian-designed and decorated setting;
For full fare premium cabin customers originating in Toronto-Pearson or arriving at Toronto-Pearson originating from a domestic flight with onward international travel, Air Canada will also provide Air Canada Valet Service, powered by BMW, starting later in 2018. It is the first dedicated service offered by an airline in North America for customers booked in a premium cabin, where a dedicated fleet of BMW sedans whisk customers over the tarmac to connect, making connecting at Toronto-Pearson truly exclusive and seamless.

AFAIK, credit goes to supremekai for posting this information (and providing a useful link to the image!) in the master Amenity Kit thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29633632-post110.html

NEW! International Business Class Service Enhancements Effective April 17 on Wide-Body Aircraft

Amenities - Service Items
  • Matress pads folded in plastic wrap and placed at Pods by Cabin Services for customers to lay out themselves
  • New amenity kit by Montreal-based WANT Les Essentiels including premium eyeshades, microfibre cloth and vitruvi lip balm and lotion
  • Redesigned menu
  • New dishware and glassware (no change to cutlery, cups, champagne glass in J or stemmed wine glass in PY at this time)
  • New premium skincare products by Vancouver-based vitruvi in the J lavatories: soap, hand loation, facial mist

Beverage Service
  • Mimosa offered as a pre-departure beverage on breakfast flights (replaces sparkling water)
  • New signature cocktail (1 mini of bourbon, 1 sachet of maple syrup (packets in bar carts), 1-part Sprite and 2-parts ginger ale, served over ice, stirred and garnished with 2 slices of lemon)
  • New Champagne brand

Meal Service
  • Garlic bread as a third selection (international only)
  • Spring/summer wine program
  • Chef Hawksworth's new signature dishes

*Please note: International and select route wide-body Business class will be rebranded on April 17 with a new name.

Please note that there have been anecdotal instances of new service/products being introduced prior to the official rebranding launch date:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29611852-post2081.html
Originally Posted by BarrieTravelGuy
I overheard a flight attendant and pax talking about some huge launch on April 17th. All new drinks (including Mimosas) as well as all new food menus. Has anyone else heard this? I didn’t see anything in here about it. What was interesting was that they were talking about a re-branding if Business Class... I didn’t know if it was just the food or something else.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29579069-post2051.html
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
When did AC switch to serving Laurent-Perrier Champagne Brut onboard instead of the stuff they normally serve. It seems the menus for flights in April are showing a change. Did I miss this?? I much prefer the new Champagne on offer.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29580786-post2056.html
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Two very notable changes there.
>After a long and successful run the Drappier is being retired and Laurent-Perrier Champagne is being introduced
>The Hawksworth Chocolate Fondant bids adieu in favour of a new dessert. Brown Sugar Tart with Custard.

The fabulously popular Duck Leg Entree makes a return.

FYI - the launch of the above has been delayed slightly till mid month (April).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29635471-post2102.html
Originally Posted by lallied
I had garlic bread on AC34 on the 11th. Nice and herby. Not sure whether just SYD or the change as no mimosa and didn’t check bubbles . They also said will be mattress pads for J seats.

June 1 2018 - Post 288

North American Signature Service description now on AC.com

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29820459-post288.html

NEW - Detailed Trancontinental Signature Class Video Review
https://youtu.be/enlUZw_8po8
Print Wikipost

Int. Business Class & select wide-body N. America aircraft become 'Signature Service'

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC 737 to SFO today

Mattress pads missing from all the seats
Amenity kits provided
Offered new Signature cocktail but declined

Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
AC 737 to SFO today

Mattress pads missing from all the seats
Amenity kits provided
Offered new Signature cocktail but declined

Are you sure they were "missing"?

I don't think I've ever had a mattress pad waiting at my seat on a North American flight (maybe the first one within the first week of rollout?). Only international.

I've always had to ask for one, and I've been told they specifically aren't proactively left, as most passengers don't sleep on these flights.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Which flight?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Evening flight YYZ-YYC Nov 1 (also took the same plane from YOW-YYZ as it transitioned from flight from LHR--start of new seasonal service I guess)

Most everything seemed to go according to plan^

Pods were clean, also provided were amenity kit (cloth bag), mattress pad, pillow and full menu although the wine portion did not reflect what was on board. Last month's wines on board which was a bit confusing.

Food was good, had chicken saltimbocca, a bit rubbery but acceptable (I know my standards are low for airplane food).

Cheese service offered. Crew was great--very proactive and genuinely friendly.

Arrived early into Calgary--all in all a positive experience.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC E75K
AC825 AMS-YYZ on Nov 3

Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
Any updates on the valet service? Is it offered more consistently? I've read somewhere they were supposed to have a fleet of 20 cars by the end of the year.

Transiting from DOM to INT this weekend. It will be my SO's first international business class trip so it would be a great start! Anything I can do to increase my chances?

We should have plenty of time to enjoy the SS as well. The smell of vacation feels good ))
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Are you sure they were "missing"?

I don't think I've ever had a mattress pad waiting at my seat on a North American flight (maybe the first one within the first week of rollout?). Only international.

I've always had to ask for one, and I've been told they specifically aren't proactively left, as most passengers don't sleep on these flights.
They are provisioned in overhead bins and readily available upon request on North American Signature day flights. I have proactively offered, but infrequently used.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:13 am
Suspended

"Amusing" experience on a recent AC 118

I asked for the new Signature Cocktail and the FA said, "we don't have that". The SD was nearby (and I'd flown with her before) and I just gave her a puzzled look. She then had to tell the FA what it was. The FA knew how to make it, but for some reason, did not know it was the Signature cocktail.

There were some other strange comments from this FA but since my goal was to get photos and try the new drink, I decided the silly stuff was worth the effort. And she was certainly not as impressive as the awesome SD who made my first Signature Cocktail on AC 18 in May, posted here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29713584-post270.html

The good new is: I like this new cocktail better. Not as alcohol-heavy and has a nice taste. Also, my travel buddy really liked it.

Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I asked for the new Signature Cocktail and the FA said, "we don't have that". The SD was nearby (and I'd flown with her before) and I just gave her a puzzled look. She then had to tell the FA what it was. The FA knew how to make it, but for some reason, did not know it was the Signature cocktail.

There were some other strange comments from this FA but since my goal was to get photos and try the new drink, I decided the silly stuff was worth the effort. And she was certainly not as impressive as the awesome SD who made my first Signature Cocktail on AC 18 in May, posted here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29713584-post270.html

The good new is: I like this new cocktail better. Not as alcohol-heavy and has a nice taste. Also, my travel buddy really liked it.
Was the SD (not the FA), Anushka, by chance?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Was the SD (not the FA), Anushka, by chance?
No. Also, the FA was not new, only a couple of years flying with AC and told me only on narrow-bodies so as I understood it, she was not familiar with all-things wide body and Signature Service. I would think a little "How To" prior to departure would be helpful for crews new to this, but no biggie. I think by the time we arrived, she learned a few things. lol

Now the young and new galley FA on this flight...she was outstanding and I told her and the SD I thought so.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
No. Also, the FA was not new, only a couple of years flying with AC and told me only on narrow-bodies so as I understood it, she was not familiar with all-things wide body and Signature Service. I would think a little "How To" prior to departure would be helpful for crews new to this, but no biggie. I think by the time we arrived, she learned a few things. lol

Now the young and new galley FA on this flight...she was outstanding and I told her and the SD I thought so.
Ok. I was curious because you mentioned/alluded to the FA saying odd things, and such an FA I know pairs often with my aforementioned SD.

But I agree... especially since the narrowbody FA knew going in that widebody would be slightly different in terms of J service from both a soft and hard product perspective...
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

I do wish you'd learn to put a little bit of artistic flair in your photos. Perhaps a class or two?

I jest, of course. I am often envious of the shots you take. These are very simple, I know, but I appreciate you trying to tell the story of the drink being made.

Looks good.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa

If you scroll up and down really quickly, the pics become a video of the construction of a SSC..... (sorry, time to go home..)
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:22 pm

Signature Class NA menu downgrades?

I wanted to try out this product and booked some flights several months ago. I looked at then-current menus and it seemed like a solid effort for a premium product.

So now that my flights are coming up, I went back to look at the specific menus for my flights.

It's the same menu in both directions. The plated dessert is.... a chocolate chip cookie with no other options? No beef (and yes I know where veal comes from). Tired ravioli.

Have there been cuts to the meal service?

On the flip side, I pulled a YVR-YYZ menu on a flight that doesn't have Signature Class (A321) and it offers a good looking salad as a starter, beef tenderloin as a main and just as many options as the galley on the 77W or 788/789.

Last edited by saaveraward; Feb 23, 2019 at 9:34 pm
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
The biggest improvements to the North American menu on Signature class flights is the inclusion of the Hawksworth dishes, the port and cheese course, and the sparkling wine/mimosa PDB. I've never seen a Hawksworth beef dish, but I'm a relatively light traveler compared to some on these routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.