Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Int. Business Class & select wide-body N. America aircraft become 'Signature Service'

Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chowtime
NEW! International Business Class Service Enhancements Eff. April 17 on Wide-Body Aircraft

Possibly to be rebranded Rebranded as Air Canada Signature Service Please see post #51 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29644079-post51.html

I started this thread and wiki in advance of the rebranding launch in order to preempt the multiple new threads that will be inevitably started, and giving a bit more "glue" to the information mixed in several other threads, as we have already started seeing.

The main purpose is to have all the rebranding information housed under this one thread.

Over time, as the rebranded products and services become mainstay and the norm, I anticipate that topics will go under their regular main threads such as International J meals, amenity kits, etc. At the same time, there is nothing wrong with posting in the other existing threads as well.

My international flying has been limited as of late, so any feedback, information, details, opinions, etc. from the rest here would be appreciated!

Thanks,

- yyznomad

Press release courtesy of tcook052 in post #93:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29650400-post93.html

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-elevates-premium-travel-experience-for-international-and-north-american-customers-679968583.html

MONTREAL, April 17, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today introduced its new Air Canada Signature Service, providing an enhanced and seamless end-to-end travel experience for customers flying in Air Canada Signature Class, the premium cabin of its wide-body aircraft. Available today for international customers and, starting June 1 on select flights within North America, the new service makes Air Canada the first North American airline to designate aircraft with lie-flat seats for premium customers on select non-stop, transcontinental flights within Canada and to the U.S., including overnight daily flights from Vancouver, Los Angeles and San Francisco to Toronto.

Air Canada Signature Service customers will receive priority service at every stage of the journey, including access to airport concierge services, expedited check-in and security clearance, priority baggage handling and preferential boarding. Customers will also enjoy Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge access and, for eligible customers travelling to international destinations from Toronto-Pearson, access to the exclusive Air Canada Signature Suite, featuring la carte restaurant dining from a menu created by celebrated Canadian chef David Hawksworth.

"Our new Air Canada Signature Service and Air Canada Signature Class brands reflect the ongoing refinements to our premium travel service. We know our premium customers travelling on longer flight itineraries place a high value on convenience and comfort when in airports or onboard an aircraft, and with Air Canada Signature Service we provide a level of service unsurpassed in North America on every widebody flight," said Benjamin Smith, President of Passenger Airlines, Air Canada.

"Customers travelling Air Canada Signature Class on international itineraries and, beginning in June, on select transcontinental flights within North America, will receive seamless Air Canada Signature Service. They will enjoy added amenities throughout their journey, from curbside-to-curbside and at all points in between."

Available starting today on all Air Canada international flights and beginning June 1 on select transcontinental flights within North America, Air Canada Signature Service and Air Canada Signature Class incorporate and elevate the award-winning attributes of Air Canada's International Business Class, featuring its next generation lie-flat suites. Air Canada Signature Service will be available on select transborder and domestic Canadian transcontinental flights when operated with Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Boeing 777, Boeing 767 and Airbus A330 aircraft. This includes routes between Toronto and the cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver, and between Vancouver and the cities of New York-Newark and Montreal.

To note, Air Canada Signature Service with lie-flat suites to provide a full night's rest will be available daily on the following North American non-stop overnight flights beginning June 1.

Flight
Departs
Arrives
Aircraft
AC126
Vancouver 22:35
Toronto 05:55 + 1 day
Boeing 777
AC788
Los Angeles 22:15
Toronto 05:52 + 1 day
Boeing 787
AC754
San Francisco 22:45
Toronto 06:37 + 1 day
Boeing 787

Air Canada Signature Class also introduces new amenities to make the journey even more comfortable, including:

Updated onboard menu items from chef David Hawksworth, including for the first time on flights serving lunch and dinner in North America Air Canada Signature Class starting June 1, and a South Asian menu by chef Vikram Vij on flights to Mumbai and New Delhi, complemented by an expanded wine selection chosen by Air Canada sommelier Vronique Rivest; service on new restaurant style dishware and glassware;
For transcontinental travellers, enhanced wine and spirits, and the added option of espresso and cappuccino served with dessert or a new cheese selection, while for international travellers Air Canada will now offer Laurent-Perrier champagne; on all routes, customers will be able to enjoy the new Air Canada Signature Cocktail;
For international travelers, personal comfort items by Canadian brands, including enhanced amenity kits by Want Les Essentiels, with premium care products by vitruvi;
Mattress pads to enhance the sleep experience;
At Air Canada's Toronto-Pearson global hub, full fare Air Canada Signature Class customers departing on International flights will have access to the Air Canada Signature Suite. The suite is an exclusive airport retreat, where eligible customers can dine la carte at a complimentary, full-service restaurant from a menu created by chef Hawksworth, or enjoy, Moet & Chandon champagne, fine wines and premium cocktails in an intimate, Canadian-designed and decorated setting;
For full fare premium cabin customers originating in Toronto-Pearson or arriving at Toronto-Pearson originating from a domestic flight with onward international travel, Air Canada will also provide Air Canada Valet Service, powered by BMW, starting later in 2018. It is the first dedicated service offered by an airline in North America for customers booked in a premium cabin, where a dedicated fleet of BMW sedans whisk customers over the tarmac to connect, making connecting at Toronto-Pearson truly exclusive and seamless.

AFAIK, credit goes to supremekai for posting this information (and providing a useful link to the image!) in the master Amenity Kit thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29633632-post110.html

NEW! International Business Class Service Enhancements Effective April 17 on Wide-Body Aircraft

Amenities - Service Items
  • Matress pads folded in plastic wrap and placed at Pods by Cabin Services for customers to lay out themselves
  • New amenity kit by Montreal-based WANT Les Essentiels including premium eyeshades, microfibre cloth and vitruvi lip balm and lotion
  • Redesigned menu
  • New dishware and glassware (no change to cutlery, cups, champagne glass in J or stemmed wine glass in PY at this time)
  • New premium skincare products by Vancouver-based vitruvi in the J lavatories: soap, hand loation, facial mist

Beverage Service
  • Mimosa offered as a pre-departure beverage on breakfast flights (replaces sparkling water)
  • New signature cocktail (1 mini of bourbon, 1 sachet of maple syrup (packets in bar carts), 1-part Sprite and 2-parts ginger ale, served over ice, stirred and garnished with 2 slices of lemon)
  • New Champagne brand

Meal Service
  • Garlic bread as a third selection (international only)
  • Spring/summer wine program
  • Chef Hawksworth's new signature dishes

*Please note: International and select route wide-body Business class will be rebranded on April 17 with a new name.

Please note that there have been anecdotal instances of new service/products being introduced prior to the official rebranding launch date:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29611852-post2081.html
Originally Posted by BarrieTravelGuy
I overheard a flight attendant and pax talking about some huge launch on April 17th. All new drinks (including Mimosas) as well as all new food menus. Has anyone else heard this? I didnt see anything in here about it. What was interesting was that they were talking about a re-branding if Business Class... I didnt know if it was just the food or something else.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29579069-post2051.html
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
When did AC switch to serving Laurent-Perrier Champagne Brut onboard instead of the stuff they normally serve. It seems the menus for flights in April are showing a change. Did I miss this?? I much prefer the new Champagne on offer.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29580786-post2056.html
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Two very notable changes there.
>After a long and successful run the Drappier is being retired and Laurent-Perrier Champagne is being introduced
>The Hawksworth Chocolate Fondant bids adieu in favour of a new dessert. Brown Sugar Tart with Custard.

The fabulously popular Duck Leg Entree makes a return.

FYI - the launch of the above has been delayed slightly till mid month (April).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29635471-post2102.html
Originally Posted by lallied
I had garlic bread on AC34 on the 11th. Nice and herby. Not sure whether just SYD or the change as no mimosa and didnt check bubbles . They also said will be mattress pads for J seats.

June 1 2018 - Post 288

North American Signature Service description now on AC.com

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29820459-post288.html

NEW - Detailed Trancontinental Signature Class Video Review
https://youtu.be/enlUZw_8po8
Print Wikipost

Int. Business Class & select wide-body N. America aircraft become 'Signature Service'

Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by karachi
AC 'business class' is better than a lot of business class, including BA, LH, LX, UA, TK, LO, ET etc... all of whom will have you stepping over sleeping people or ending up in middle seats in J.
If you're talking about the hard product only, then I agree.
karachi likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
If you're talking about the hard product only, then I agree.
yes .. the hard product is at par, service still isnt.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karachi
yes .. the hard product is at par, service still isnt.
I wonder if the new competition with WS will result in any improvement. Back when we had CP, they both absolutely had better service.

With only 16 J seats, I would expect WS to do well in J, and spend more than AC currently does on food and drinks. Likely leading AC to follow.

OTOH, WS will have a total seating of 320 in their 789. Still with 31 in in Y compared with AC 30. YYC-CDG is interesting. Not that I will patronize them, but competition is always good.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
When will Signature Service start? Car Service, in particular?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wings100
When will Signature Service start? Car Service, in particular?
The car service started years ago. It's just not guaranteed yet.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The car service started years ago. It's just not guaranteed yet.
i was asking about the Signature Service guarantee not whether they have car service...just wondering what sometime later this year means. Most days there is only one car in use because one is under maintenance. Going to be pretty tough to offer Signature Service under those circumstances
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Wings100

i was asking about the Signature Service guarantee not whether they have car service...just wondering what sometime later this year means. Most days there is only one car in use because one is under maintenance. Going to be pretty tough to offer Signature Service under those circumstances
"Somewhat later this year" means that if this service is still not guaranteed by the end of 2018, they don't need to bother changing their website to reflect the delay into 2019.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Flew YYC-YYZ on 767 this afternoon and food and service seemed improved (including entertainment options). Not a vast improvement but very good nonetheless. Had curried sablefish which was tasty with the prawn appetizer which wasn't over salted (I never add salt to my meals). Service was very good and in charge recognized me. Concierge met me in YYZ after the flight to give me a thank you card and another Lindt chocolate bar for getting to 2MM last month (I have only flown on Jazz since getting 2MM).

Lastly, the seat area was spotless. It was a little worn but not at all the dirt that I am used to seeing. Kudos on that front too!

I know that this may not be "signature" but seemed to be intermediate between old ways and the new signature service . . .
@BlondeBomber, have you since done this route on a 763 and received Signature Service? The last time you posted about this it was still somewhat nascent.

Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
So it's all done and dusted. Outbound YVR-YYZ-GRU-GIG 773 all the way through in P ('cept for the last hour on Avianca..) and SCL-YYZ-YVR in PE 789 and 773 with a sleepover in YYZ ( the Business Class fare inbound alone basically doubled the P and PE combo). Excited to try the new Signature Service inc the Suite. Will try and do a comparison Trip Report if I can learn how to upload photos.... Thanx again for everyone's help. This place is truly a goldmine.
@TheOnlyWayTo Fly, did you end up posting a trip report?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
I've been suprised at the loads on YHZ-CDG and LGW this season. It seems like most flights are going out full 7X per week. It's possible that some amount are connecting passengers from YYZ and if that is the case, I'd expect an ex-YYZ 787 to reduce YHZ frequencies.

Originally Posted by Stranger
I wonder if the new competition with WS will result in any improvement. Back when we had CP, they both absolutely had better service.

With only 16 J seats, I would expect WS to do well in J, and spend more than AC currently does on food and drinks. Likely leading AC to follow.

OTOH, WS will have a total seating of 320 in their 789. Still with 31 in in Y compared with AC 30. YYC-CDG is interesting. Not that I will patronize them, but competition is always good.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
@BlondeBomber, have you since done this route on a 763 and received Signature Service? The last time you posted about this it was still somewhat nascent.
No I haven't but will be doing it next week (once for breakfast so unless they give me cream cheese and lox, nothing special expected, and then for dinner service) . I'll try to pay attention and see if it is different from my July flight where I didn't see much difference from previous J in 767 domestic flights (just a bit better food):

July Semi-"Signature" Service

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Oct 22, 2018 at 7:08 am
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No I haven't but will be doing it next week (once for breakfast so unless they give me cream cheese and lox, nothing special expected and then for dinner service) . I'll try to pay attention and see if it is different from my July flight where I didn't see much difference from previous J in 767 domestic flights (just a bit better food):
July Semi-"Signature" Service
Ah yes thanks. I remember reading that. Anecdotally, in the first month or so that this was rolled out domestically, it seemed that it wasn't the "full-on" service that you had alluded.
In addition to this YYCYYZ set of mainline widebody flights on the 763 (your flight next week in question is still on a 763, right?), there will be the new seasonal YYZHNL ML on the 763 that is advertised to have Signature Service as well.

For others, this is what you said regarding your semi-Signature Service YYCYYZ flight on a 763 a few months ago:

Four choices on 767 YYC-YYZ today. I chose sablefish. Other options were pasta, a kale and spinach salad and lamb stew.

Curried sablefish was done just right--not dried out and not fishy. Tasty with just a hint of heat.

Prawn appetizer was good and not oversalted as some have seen before.

Cheese plate offered as well. Seemed intermediate to signature service. Seat area was spotless!!!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa

@TheOnlyWayTo Fly, did you end up posting a trip report?
Not yet nomad as the outbound isn't until Dec 12 and as I will be largely out of touch, it might not appear until mid January when we get back. Now I'm trying to eupgrade the 2 of us inbound SCL-YYZ-YVR from O to P..... wish me luck!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackmeister
I had to fly last minute to Toronto for an emergency and it just so happened to be that flight. I was one of the first few to get on the plane and I was just glad I could just lie down and get some sleep as it was a long day on Saturday (I was so out of it I don't even remember whether I ate the food or not). I did get a comforter and pillow but don't recall seeing a mattress pad with the other seats either. I didn't realize it was the first flight until I was reading up on this topic today.

If it matters, I flew with a East/West Connector Flight Pass in Flex and upgrade with 4 eUpgrade to Seat 5K 2 days before the flight. Beside me was a AC FO.

For comparison, I also flew AC118 a week before May 24th (YVR-YYZ daytime) and it was essentially the same amenities
Now that things have "normalized" for Signature Service, the transcon redeyes should have this service for sure. Can anyone confirm? I haven't taken a transcon redeye in awhile.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Ah yes thanks. I remember reading that. Anecdotally, in the first month or so that this was rolled out domestically, it seemed that it wasn't the "full-on" service that you had alluded.
In addition to this YYCYYZ set of mainline widebody flights on the 763 (your flight next week in question is still on a 763, right?), there will be the new seasonal YYZHNL ML on the 763 that is advertised to have Signature Service as well.
Yes 763 both ways (red eye and evening flight)
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes 763 both ways (red eye and evening flight)
Looking forward to hear about Signature Service on your upcoming YYCYYZ transcon redeye flight with Signature Service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.