Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Int. Business Class & select wide-body N. America aircraft become 'Signature Service'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chowtime
NEW! International Business Class Service Enhancements Eff. April 17 on Wide-Body Aircraft

Possibly to be rebranded Rebranded as Air Canada Signature Service Please see post #51 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29644079-post51.html

I started this thread and wiki in advance of the rebranding launch in order to preempt the multiple new threads that will be inevitably started, and giving a bit more "glue" to the information mixed in several other threads, as we have already started seeing.

The main purpose is to have all the rebranding information housed under this one thread.

Over time, as the rebranded products and services become mainstay and the norm, I anticipate that topics will go under their regular main threads such as International J meals, amenity kits, etc. At the same time, there is nothing wrong with posting in the other existing threads as well.

My international flying has been limited as of late, so any feedback, information, details, opinions, etc. from the rest here would be appreciated!

Thanks,

- yyznomad

Press release courtesy of tcook052 in post #93:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29650400-post93.html

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-elevates-premium-travel-experience-for-international-and-north-american-customers-679968583.html

MONTREAL, April 17, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today introduced its new Air Canada Signature Service, providing an enhanced and seamless end-to-end travel experience for customers flying in Air Canada Signature Class, the premium cabin of its wide-body aircraft. Available today for international customers and, starting June 1 on select flights within North America, the new service makes Air Canada the first North American airline to designate aircraft with lie-flat seats for premium customers on select non-stop, transcontinental flights within Canada and to the U.S., including overnight daily flights from Vancouver, Los Angeles and San Francisco to Toronto.

Air Canada Signature Service customers will receive priority service at every stage of the journey, including access to airport concierge services, expedited check-in and security clearance, priority baggage handling and preferential boarding. Customers will also enjoy Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge access and, for eligible customers travelling to international destinations from Toronto-Pearson, access to the exclusive Air Canada Signature Suite, featuring ŕ la carte restaurant dining from a menu created by celebrated Canadian chef David Hawksworth.

"Our new Air Canada Signature Service and Air Canada Signature Class brands reflect the ongoing refinements to our premium travel service. We know our premium customers travelling on longer flight itineraries place a high value on convenience and comfort when in airports or onboard an aircraft, and with Air Canada Signature Service we provide a level of service unsurpassed in North America on every widebody flight," said Benjamin Smith, President of Passenger Airlines, Air Canada.

"Customers travelling Air Canada Signature Class on international itineraries and, beginning in June, on select transcontinental flights within North America, will receive seamless Air Canada Signature Service. They will enjoy added amenities throughout their journey, from curbside-to-curbside and at all points in between."

Available starting today on all Air Canada international flights and beginning June 1 on select transcontinental flights within North America, Air Canada Signature Service and Air Canada Signature Class incorporate and elevate the award-winning attributes of Air Canada's International Business Class, featuring its next generation lie-flat suites. Air Canada Signature Service will be available on select transborder and domestic Canadian transcontinental flights when operated with Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Boeing 777, Boeing 767 and Airbus A330 aircraft. This includes routes between Toronto and the cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver, and between Vancouver and the cities of New York-Newark and Montreal.

To note, Air Canada Signature Service with lie-flat suites to provide a full night's rest will be available daily on the following North American non-stop overnight flights beginning June 1.

Flight
Departs
Arrives
Aircraft
AC126
Vancouver 22:35
Toronto 05:55 + 1 day
Boeing 777
AC788
Los Angeles 22:15
Toronto 05:52 + 1 day
Boeing 787
AC754
San Francisco 22:45
Toronto 06:37 + 1 day
Boeing 787

Air Canada Signature Class also introduces new amenities to make the journey even more comfortable, including:

Updated onboard menu items from chef David Hawksworth, including for the first time on flights serving lunch and dinner in North America Air Canada Signature Class starting June 1, and a South Asian menu by chef Vikram Vij on flights to Mumbai and New Delhi, complemented by an expanded wine selection chosen by Air Canada sommelier Véronique Rivest; service on new restaurant style dishware and glassware;
For transcontinental travellers, enhanced wine and spirits, and the added option of espresso and cappuccino served with dessert or a new cheese selection, while for international travellers Air Canada will now offer Laurent-Perrier champagne; on all routes, customers will be able to enjoy the new Air Canada Signature Cocktail;
For international travelers, personal comfort items by Canadian brands, including enhanced amenity kits by Want Les Essentiels, with premium care products by vitruvi;
Mattress pads to enhance the sleep experience;
At Air Canada's Toronto-Pearson global hub, full fare Air Canada Signature Class customers departing on International flights will have access to the Air Canada Signature Suite. The suite is an exclusive airport retreat, where eligible customers can dine ŕ la carte at a complimentary, full-service restaurant from a menu created by chef Hawksworth, or enjoy, Moet & Chandon champagne, fine wines and premium cocktails in an intimate, Canadian-designed and decorated setting;
For full fare premium cabin customers originating in Toronto-Pearson or arriving at Toronto-Pearson originating from a domestic flight with onward international travel, Air Canada will also provide Air Canada Valet Service, powered by BMW, starting later in 2018. It is the first dedicated service offered by an airline in North America for customers booked in a premium cabin, where a dedicated fleet of BMW sedans whisk customers over the tarmac to connect, making connecting at Toronto-Pearson truly exclusive and seamless.

AFAIK, credit goes to supremekai for posting this information (and providing a useful link to the image!) in the master Amenity Kit thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29633632-post110.html

NEW! International Business Class Service Enhancements Effective April 17 on Wide-Body Aircraft

Amenities - Service Items
  • Matress pads folded in plastic wrap and placed at Pods by Cabin Services for customers to lay out themselves
  • New amenity kit by Montreal-based WANT Les Essentiels including premium eyeshades, microfibre cloth and vitruvi lip balm and lotion
  • Redesigned menu
  • New dishware and glassware (no change to cutlery, cups, champagne glass in J or stemmed wine glass in PY at this time)
  • New premium skincare products by Vancouver-based vitruvi in the J lavatories: soap, hand loation, facial mist

Beverage Service
  • Mimosa offered as a pre-departure beverage on breakfast flights (replaces sparkling water)
  • New signature cocktail (1 mini of bourbon, 1 sachet of maple syrup (packets in bar carts), 1-part Sprite and 2-parts ginger ale, served over ice, stirred and garnished with 2 slices of lemon)
  • New Champagne brand

Meal Service
  • Garlic bread as a third selection (international only)
  • Spring/summer wine program
  • Chef Hawksworth's new signature dishes

*Please note: International and select route wide-body Business class will be rebranded on April 17 with a new name.

Please note that there have been anecdotal instances of new service/products being introduced prior to the official rebranding launch date:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29611852-post2081.html
Originally Posted by BarrieTravelGuy
I overheard a flight attendant and pax talking about some huge launch on April 17th. All new drinks (including Mimosas) as well as all new food menus. Has anyone else heard this? I didn’t see anything in here about it. What was interesting was that they were talking about a re-branding if Business Class... I didn’t know if it was just the food or something else.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29579069-post2051.html
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
When did AC switch to serving Laurent-Perrier Champagne Brut onboard instead of the stuff they normally serve. It seems the menus for flights in April are showing a change. Did I miss this?? I much prefer the new Champagne on offer.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29580786-post2056.html
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Two very notable changes there.
>After a long and successful run the Drappier is being retired and Laurent-Perrier Champagne is being introduced
>The Hawksworth Chocolate Fondant bids adieu in favour of a new dessert. Brown Sugar Tart with Custard.

The fabulously popular Duck Leg Entree makes a return.

FYI - the launch of the above has been delayed slightly till mid month (April).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29635471-post2102.html
Originally Posted by lallied
I had garlic bread on AC34 on the 11th. Nice and herby. Not sure whether just SYD or the change as no mimosa and didn’t check bubbles . They also said will be mattress pads for J seats.

June 1 2018 - Post 288

North American Signature Service description now on AC.com

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29820459-post288.html

NEW - Detailed Trancontinental Signature Class Video Review
https://youtu.be/enlUZw_8po8
Print Wikipost

Int. Business Class & select wide-body N. America aircraft become 'Signature Service'

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ylwae

I think that’s the international kit. The domestic is different—not faux leather, and doesn’t have as much stuff.

I would post a picture, but SD/YYZ posted that it’s the same kit as you’d receive in international PE.
Ok. Sorry I was reading the past posts to figure out which kit we were talking about and misunderstood.

I don't think anyone has posted a pic yet in any thread regarding the transcon Signature Service kits, so definitely interested in seeing it.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ok. Sorry I was reading the past posts to figure out which kit we were talking about and misunderstood.

I don't think anyone has posted a pic yet in any thread regarding the transcon Signature Service kits, so definitely interested in seeing it.
Still haven't got around to my full report, but here you go.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Cool, thanks. ^
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:31 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Other than the kit itself and the lack of glasses cloth, this appears the same as the international J kit.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Other than the kit itself and the lack of glasses cloth, this appears the same as the international J kit.
Which is amusing because I'd much rather have the cloth than the socks.

Though the toothpaste came in handy
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
This is the International J kit and contents.

Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:57 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
This is the International J kit and contents.
I forgot about the lotion. Not exactly something I ever use on the plane.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by ylwae

Actually no! I don’t drink the pre-departure sparkling, so I’ve been completely unaware :-)
Can't speak for other bases, but as of today, flights catered from YYZ are still receiving Drappier as the ground sparkling product.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Can't speak for other bases, but as of today, flights catered from YYZ are still receiving Drappier as the ground sparkling product.
Interesting. I’ll see what the situation is next week.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:07 pm

As promised, here is my report on AC 738 SFO-YYZ on Sunday June 3 2018.

I started the day in the Centurion lounge, because I had to print something, and I wasn't sure if I could print elsewhere. They had some kind of sparkling wine available.

After collecting my document, my colleague and I walked back from Terminal 3 to International G, where I had this beautiful view of fin 843, shortly to be occupied by yours truly.

At the gate, I ran into one my favorite concierges, Luis. He asked where I was going, and was made fun of by another agent who muttered cities such as "San Jose" and "Sacramento". However, being quick on his feet as always, Luis retorted with "Mr. Kennedy often flies through Toronto to other places." I piped in about my last mistake fare to Munich.

Boarding started shortly thereafter, and I was quickly seated in seat 8K, where I had a big pillow, blanket, and mattress pad on my seat. I also had a nice amenity kit waiting for me. It contained eye shades, ear plugs, socks, a toothbrush, and toothpaste (which I was really thankful for when I realized I had neglected to pack any).

Shortly thereafter, I was presented with a menu. Not the flimsy single card, but a multi-page menu in a nice black cover. And when I peered inside, I was impressed with the contents. A real appetizer. Cheese and port. Sparkling wine

After perusing the menu (and since that word is often misused, I mean the real definition of "peruse"), a flight attendant came by to offer me my choice of orange juice, water, or Champagne. I opted for the sparkling wine. It was a nice pre-flight option. As someone who flies mostly within North America, I was glad to finally be able to have a drink, and in a GLASS glass at that.

Alas, shortly thereafter, we had to leave. There was a short mechanical delay, but it was barely worth mentioning.

I can't recall if this was before or after pushback, but meal orders were done. I was asked last. They were out of the Hawksworth, which is what I wanted to try (I've never had it pre-plated before). I was not impressed with being asked last. As a Super Elite, I should be asked before the vast majority of business class.

Once in the air, they began the drink service. As a Champagne enthusiast and a true FTer looking to try the new things, I ordered sparkling wine. "We're out". "You're out???" "Yes. They only gave us half a bottle."

What....the.....It wasn't even the end of FIRST DRINK SERVICE. What a spectacular launch to North America Signature Service. They can't even make it through one round of the cart before running out of sparkling wine

I started to wonder about how the rest of the flight would go.

I ordered a Signature Cocktail, half-expecting to hear "those aren't available either", but she actually seemed quite interested in making one. It was sweet. It was definitely sweet. But it was good. As a diabetic, I tend not to like things that are too sweet because I just don't have them enough to be accustomed to the sweetness. But this was good. Though it still has way too much sugar for me to regularly consume.

The tablecloth I was given was wrinkled. Quite a bit. Enough that I thought a photo was worth taking, so here you go:

When they came around asking for my choice in bread, I found out that the garlic bread was not offered on these flights. Only international

However, I was very happy to have an appetizer that was not a salad. I think I'd previously had one or two on PLH routes, but this was great. However, the base of the dish was sliced orange, which I found did not complement the shrimp.

Additionally, the bread was rock hard. And without the typical vinaigrette to dip it in, it just was not worth touching.

Unfortunately, the wine I ordered tasted like... Actually I'm going to get banned if I use that word, so let's just say it was not worthy of consumption.

I asked the flight attendant for a different wine, and she seemed very annoyed with the request.

It was at this point I noticed that the A/D seats were getting much better service (I saw the drink cart pass 3 times in that aisle, whereas it had only come 1 time in the G/K aisle). I quickly regretted sitting in 8K.

The main course was your typical veal dish, since, as I mentioned, I was asked too late to request the Hawksworth. As such, I did not take a photo.

However, the post-dinner cheese plate with a glass of port was just what I needed to make this flight feel complete. It was exactly what you'd get leaving Canada to Europe or Asia, and I happen to love that cheese. However, the crackers were not as fancy.

After finishing the cheese and crackers, I went to the galley to ask for a drink. It was right at that point that they decided to send out the dessert carts, so I was trapped. As I waited, the service director came back, and we had the following discussion:

SD: Are you Mr. Kennedy?
Me: Yes
SD: Oh I was supposed to come by to talk to you and thank you for your loyalty!

I shrugged it off.

Back in my seat, she came by again, and we had a longer conversation. She asked about the flight, and I expressed my displeasure in the lack of sparkling wine, while also acknowledging upfront that I knew she didn't handle catering. Then I mentioned the meal priority. She said the flight attendant was mortified when she found out she'd skipped a Super Elite, and he hadn't got his first choice (I had not mentioned this, so it must have been the two of them talking). She then said the meal sheet did not have my status printed on it, while the PIL did. I later asked if I could see the meal sheet (I figured that if writing in, "the meal sheet didn't have my status" would come across a bit different than "the SD said the meal sheet didn't have my status"), but it had been thrown out after tomato sauce had been spilled on it.

That all being said, the crew were generally great (though I still have reservations about the FA serving my aisle). In fact, at one point, the PIC came out and went to 7G (whom I knew was a FO from other discussions) and started talking, right when the SD came by. I mentioned that she was interrupting my eavesdropping (in a very obviously joking (but not joking) manner), and she introduced me to the captain. Then the three of us chatted for a bit, and I went back to my movie so they could finish their conversation. The FO had flown in with the CA the previous day, but the FO was deadheading now. After the captain went back to the flight deck, the deadheading FO got my attention. He wanted to keep chatting. So we did, for quite a while. He was curious about Earn Your Wings, my profession, and many other things. I'm now keenly paying attention to FO names announced on Dreamliners so that I can let him know if I'm on board.

But alas, the flight had to end. However, the attendant for my aisle didn't do much, so I landed with an empty glass in front of me. It had been empty since well before 10k feet.

It's always a bit concerning to see flight attendants ignore the safety part of their duties, especially when I don't feel like it's been a safety-service tradeoff. Safety is clearly more important than service, but I fully understand how some might bend rules to improve service over some minor safety issues. But my aisle definitely had below-average service on this flight, so landing with a glass was not impressive.

Overall, it was an improvement from typical transcontinental business class on a PLH route, but it did not live up to the advertised Signature Service standards, especially with the lack of meal priority that prevented me from reviewing the pre-plated Hawksworth dish.

I'll be doing a breakfast flight on 737 tomorrow, and I will try to note any differences, though I intend to sleep for a lot of it.
tcook052 and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC E75K
As promised, here is my report on AC 738 SFO-YYZ on Sunday June 3 2018...

Mmmm...both the sablefish and the kale salad look intriguing. Keen to see what I'll be offered on 739 this Sunday.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Mmmm...both the sablefish and the kale salad look intriguing. Keen to see what I'll be offered on 739 this Sunday.
That sablefish has been served on multiples of my various TPACs starting November 2017. Photos in the International Meal thread.
Plumber and capedreamer like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
That sablefish has been served on multiples of my various TPACs starting November 2017. Photos in the International Meal thread.
Can you please link to a photo of the pre-plated version?

I haven't seen one.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Can you please link to a photo of the pre-plated version?

I haven't seen one.
Good trip report on the new Signature service including the lack there off. i will be on the same itin in a few days. Your AC sched tool says my flight has been changed from a 787 to a 77 both ways but the AC app is still holding fast to the 787. Overall happy that the Signature service is on this route as I fly this route often, not as much as you though. What's in the signature cocktail ?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vernonc
...What's in the signature cocktail ?
I posted the recipe, photos and step-by-step upthread here

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29713584-post270.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.