Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Poutine, anyone? Air Canada is opening up a pop-up poutine shop in Denver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poutine, anyone? Air Canada is opening up a pop-up poutine shop in Denver

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I like all three of those things individually, but the idea of kimchi and cheese together honestly makes me feel a bit sick. I am not saying I am surprised that it exists, just that it sounds rather off-putting.
To be honest, I expect this to be quite delicious. I've had something similar in Hong Kong at a place called "Seoul Brothers" which serves a Korean/Vietnamese fusion banh mi. If you go to Korea though, they have a ton of different things that mix kimchi and cheese. I've tried a traditional rice cake dish, chicken wings, fried chicken, and even a ramen that have combined the two. I never thought of it as unusual before because I've seen it so much. Oh yeah... and kimchi on pizza!

Of course, I've been living in Asia for the past several years so I've seen "milk top" boba tea evolve into "cream top" followed by "cheese top" (which is like a liquid cream cheese), to "salted cheese top" which is all the rage right now.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by kyanar
We don't eat shrimp, we eat prawn.
Sorry, tells you what I know. I googled Australian Barbie to check if the spelling of Barbie was the same as the doll, and the first food result was for shrimp.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I'm assuming they are the same food served at the Canada House in South Korea during the winter Olympics
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by kyanar
Unpasteurised cheese curds were illegal until a couple of years ago, and still are if it's a soft cheese curd. And no-one seems to know how to properly make pasteurised cheese curds (Canadians use unpasteurised I believe) so there's no-one that makes it.
Wisconsin cheese curd is made with pasteurized milk, and it definitely makes perfectly good poutine. Given the lack of aging or other processing that goes into making curd, it seems like using raw milk would be a good way to get sued and/or recalled even if it were legal.

Flanders and the Netherlands make huge amounts of "young" cheese, but I can't find curd here to save my life. I think it's more a cultural thing than anything else--the processors only make curd in places where they know people will buy it, because it doesn't store or ship well. Every trip back home raises my cholesterol significantly, I think.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:59 am
Original Poster

The milk is pasteurized here in Quebec too. Here is an example from a well known producer:

LA FROMAGERIE ST-GUILLAUME
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I'm assuming they are the same food served at the Canada House in South Korea during the winter Olympics
Does the Denver poutinerie feature the same menu as the popup London poutinerie of last year? And where do we anticipate the next week-long curd invasion to occur? I just like saying poutinerie.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by smallmj
The marketing writer must have gone to school with the nurse who coordinates my daughter's chronic pain care. She keeps writing about pain flairs. Grrr.
Air Canada will also be giving away two roundtrip tickets to anywhere in the world every day.

Anywhere in the world... every day from date of article... not a pair, but two roundtrip tickets...
musicmtl likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I was going for a walk in Denver...

Just walking by and BAM

Nice

Nice decorations

The Montreal. Seriously
musicmtl likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://dc.eater.com/2018/10/31/1804...-dupont-circle

Air Canada Will Sell Poutine For A Week in Dupont Circle; Gravy-drenched proceeds will go to charity

For one week this November, airplane food will be served in Dupont Circle in the form of thick-cut fries covered in cheese curds and gravy. Popville reports that a Poutinerie by Air Canada has set up shop on the Connecticut Avenue side of the Service Employees International Union building for a limited run from November 9-15.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: TK *G
Where can I buy the banana bread? How about that Y snack for westbound TATL?

Or if we are talking about fine dinning, how about hockey puck steak? Steak soup?

I also want to try all the AC SPMLs.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
I'll check out the DC one next week but the pictures of the one in Denver don't look promising.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Someone page me when they open up a popup butter chicken shop.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Someone page me when they open up a popup butter chicken shop.
You mean popup pickle shop.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by yyznomad
You mean popup pickle shop.
A few years ago MLL was the popup pickle shop I think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.