Question: Avions to be donated - how

Old Apr 11, 18, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards;BA executive club
Avions to be donated - how

I have a friend in Canada who wishes to donate her avion points to me - I am commuting to the UK back and forth for cancer treatment - I have a BA executive club account, avios account etc - how would this work ? Can I open a Air Canada Altitude account ?- thank you
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:29 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Altitude E75K, Aeroplan Black, Bonvoy Titanium, Hiton Gold, UA MP Silver
If you actually talk about Avion Points, you are not in the good forum as those are Credit Card Points from RBC. They can be transferred to Avios but I don't know the rules. You might want to look at RBC Avion to Avios Bonus When?. Not sure you can transfer to an account that doesn't have the same name.

If you talk about Aeroplan miles, you can transfer miles from an account to another but with terrible fees (2 cents per miles). Not worth it. https://www.aeroplan.com/terms_and_c...ion=shareMiles. It would probably be better that your friend uses her Aeroplan miles account to redeem rewards for you. You can reimburse her the fees and taxes afterwards.

You can open an Aeroplan account and an Altitude account will be created once you have status
Old Apr 11, 18, 1:59 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Jamie Wilson View Post
I have a friend in Canada who wishes to donate her avion points to me - I am commuting to the UK back and forth for cancer treatment - I have a BA executive club account, avios account etc - how would this work ? Can I open a Air Canada Altitude account ?- thank you
Very hard to legally transfer Avion points from RBC to BA Avios if that's what you are looking for. I've had it fail because my address didn't match; let alone the name. Might want to look into how willing BA is to transfer Avios points around once converted. Or have her convert and then purchase flights for you although clearly this can mean she's left with say 12000 which isn't enough for a OW EU Z1 Y flight (granted, you can buy the missing 1k).

None of this will help with AE award flights. One World isn't the same alliance so you're either looking at AP *A flights (ie: AC/LH/UA) from AP points, or OW partners from Avios (ie: BA/AA) or, buying any flight with the Avion points directly.

If you do want to transfer, wait until there's a 1.3x/1.5x bonus to transfer if possible. June/December are common months I think, the post above has the relevant thread, it's been 1.3x of late so I've got a ton of pending Avions.

Best of luck with the treatment.
Old Apr 12, 18, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards;BA executive club
thank you

Search this Thread