Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 33/34 (YVR-SYD-YVR) - questions re: economy cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 33/34 (YVR-SYD-YVR) - questions re: economy cabin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by mapleg
Sorry, have to disagree with that. Changing in and out of PJ's means two 2 trips to the Y lav. I try to avoid that as much as possible. Near the end of the flight....wet, messy floors. Avoid at all costs.
Also, I can't imagine trying to change in an airplane lav. There is barely room to pull down your pants to use the facilities, let alone take things off. I like to extend my arms when I put on a shirt, but there isn't space to do that in a lav either. Those things are so small that I practically have to back in. Granted, I am larger than most (or all) of you, but even if I lost a lot of weight I would find it tricky to change in a lav. Even a mythical clean lav.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
d) free pillows/blankets or not?

Also, can we in business class visit her in the economy cabin? Presumably the reverse is not possible?
There has always been a blanket and pillow on each Y seat on boarding every time I've done this flight.

Where in Y is your sister-in-law seated? It will do no harm to mention to the SDs that you and your wife are in J but the sister-in-law is in Y. If no seat swaps are planned, just politely mention that you may want to visit each other, and that if the SD could provide any "treats", that would go over well. If you do plan a seat swap, make sure the SD knows and will accept it.

I think it's a pretty common situation.

On the few occasions my wife and I have been in J/Y, I have found the J crew to be very understanding and cooperative with prior, polite and not demanding, discussion.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by jc94
I’m surprised to hear Mr Jack complain about alcohol in his area of Tango 4 Life. Clearly your not going to get top grade booze at the back, but if your going for a mixer or beer over red wine or are used to house wines it’s not like the $4 a bottle (yes bottle) stuff I’ve had at some restaurants.
LOL, I'm not surprised. Jack likes to complain.

Some people need to remember... free is free. And the booze on AC is actually not that bad. Like you've said I've had worse in restaurants. Free booze on the plane is better than paid booze on the plane. Paid booze on the plane is better than no booze on the plane for 14 hours. So it's a win that it's free.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Definitely wellies, plus go to the airport a little early and have a nice meal with a couple of glasses of wine. Once on board, pop 2 advil pm's and let the FA know that you don't want to be disturbed until breakfast and before long you'll almost be there! Works every time for me.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:53 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
On the way down, a sleeping pill right after you get on is the best way to survive the back. It's far to late for meal service or to settle in on a movie so you're better off to sleep as long as you can, then get up and enjoy breakfast or a movie. . .
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always change into PJs for long haul flights, far more comfortable and I have never had issues getting changed in the loos (it just requires a little planning!) I wear plastic bottomed hotel slippers, so never stand on the floor itself, and I freshen up with a towel before changing (I use TowTabs Towtabs | The original Towtab towel tablet which are very light to bring, and you just throw them away afterwards, meaning you don't have to worry about a wet facecloth) and a spritz of deodorant. I always bring an over sized pashmina for the flight, can be used as an extra blanket if it gets cold, lumbar support, even wrapped around my head to block out light. I use noise cancelled Bose headphones, which are much better than airline provided ones. I bring snacks so I can eat when I am hungry, not when the crew decide I should be hungry. I bring a Swell water bottle which I fill with ice and water and it stays cold for a long time (crew have never had an issue refilling it for me). I have a blow up 'multi position' pillow to help me get comfy, and very comfortable eye shades that are shaped so they don't touch your eyelids. I also have a small first aid kit with pain killers, decongestant, allergy tablets, a menthol inhaler, vaseline, antacids, sore throat tablets, as more than once I have had need for those items mid flight.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by emma69
I always change into PJs for long haul flights, far more comfortable and I have never had issues getting changed in the loos (it just requires a little planning!) I wear plastic bottomed hotel slippers, so never stand on the floor itself, and I freshen up with a towel before changing (I use TowTabs Towtabs The original Towtab towel tablet which are very light to bring, and you just throw them away afterwards, meaning you don't have to worry about a wet facecloth) and a spritz of deodorant. I always bring an over sized pashmina for the flight, can be used as an extra blanket if it gets cold, lumbar support, even wrapped around my head to block out light. I use noise cancelled Bose headphones, which are much better than airline provided ones. I bring snacks so I can eat when I am hungry, not when the crew decide I should be hungry. I bring a Swell water bottle which I fill with ice and water and it stays cold for a long time (crew have never had an issue refilling it for me). I have a blow up 'multi position' pillow to help me get comfy, and very comfortable eye shades that are shaped so they don't touch your eyelids. I also have a small first aid kit with pain killers, decongestant, allergy tablets, a menthol inhaler, vaseline, antacids, sore throat tablets, as more than once I have had need for those items mid flight.

Thats impressive planned. Is this in Y?

What eye shades do you use? I hate the ones AC gives outs, even when I’ve managed to fall asleep with them which is rare I find I wake up with a painful nose!

Eye drops can be helpful too. Dry air up there.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:19 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
What eye shades do you use? I hate the ones AC gives outs, even when I’ve managed to fall asleep with them which is rare I find I wake up with a painful nose!
I've switched to using
<b>these </b> these
which were recommended on https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sleep-mask/. More comfortable and block more light IMHO.
jc94 likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Apr 13, 2018 at 10:04 am Reason: Added link to Wirecutter article
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
I make sure to bring a good quality neck pillow - in Y (or even PE) with just a regular pillow, I find my neck really bothers me when I wake. $20 at the airport (I think) gets you the good quality pillow.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I've switched to using these which were recommended on Wirecutter. More comfortable and block more light IMHO.
Okay, thanks, I'll give it a try, just asked my better half to order these!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I've switched to using these which were recommended on Wirecutter. More comfortable and block more light IMHO.
Thanks. Though seems to not be on .ca nor ship here. I'll try and pick up a set next time I'm in the US (ideally before any long hauls!)

Originally Posted by PB53x11
I make sure to bring a good quality neck pillow - in Y (or even PE) with just a regular pillow, I find my neck really bothers me when I wake. $20 at the airport (I think) gets you the good quality pillow.
I used to be of the whatever I'll use the rubbish they give me approach. Until I found out just how clean (or not) they tend to be. I'm sure I got an infection this way.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I find the more recent AC eyeshades (since the escents line started in 2012) to be too uncomfortable as well. The ones prior to that are nicer, IMHO. Hopefully the new WANT Les Essentielles kits coming out soon will have better quality products.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thats impressive planned. Is this in Y?

Eye drops can be helpful too. Dry air up there.
Yep, in Y - I've completed 7 long haul flights in the last 12 weeks in Y, so I try to make it as painless as possible! I picked up my current eye mask at winners, so don't know the make, but it is shaped like this one
Amazon Amazon

I do always have eye drops in my handbag - I wear contact lenses, so they are a necessary part of my daily kit never mind on flights too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.