Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SD: "We're not taking off until 14 pax relocate to the back" of an A321!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SD: "We're not taking off until 14 pax relocate to the back" of an A321!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Like others here, I've seen this before on an AC 321, and also agree that it is very rare. But it happens.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
​​​​​​​Where are all these empty planes? Haven’t been on one in years!!!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by pitz
Yeah they can even move fuel around, but that takes time, and its much easier to move people. Better that than to suffer a tailstrike which is probably why the 321 and stretched 737s are particularly sensitive. And probably the CS300 stretch as well.
It’s actually the opposite when they need to move passengers to the back. The forward C of G will require a larger force applied by the tail section in order to produce a positive angle of attack ie. climb. This is obviously not ideal when you are heavy and slow ie. takeoff. Moving people to the back moves the C of G backwards and reduces the force required.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
​​​​​​​Where are all these empty planes? Haven’t been on one in years!!!
As an example, Rapidair can be like this from time to time.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by karlpenney
This happened on our CUN-YHZ flight a couple weeks ago, also on an A321. They didn't ask for volunteers, but simply told the passengers in rows 18-20 to move to the back. I guess they just needed to move the CG back for takeoff, since they were allowed to return after we reached cruise altitude.
I've had that happen a couple of times before, including way back when on a First Air 727 in combi configuration.

Shorty 737s like the 735 are the opposite, where pax need to move forward. Back when CanJet was still around, I was on the first flight north out of Florida at the start of the winter season. Evidently as a result, the flight was almost empty (13 pax) and everyone needed to sit in the first 5 rows.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Where are all these empty planes? Haven’t been on one in years!!!
I was on a nearly empty A320 series flying YYT-YHZ. Must have been less than a dozen people, including the group of 5 physics students I was with. The FA said that she would ask the captain if we could move around but never got back to us.

This was Feb 1995. I guess that was a few years back.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
YVR-YYC too...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:09 am

Usually the person controlling the flight will see a comment that says something like, "Need 22 pax in rows 1-14". This comment can appear anywhere from a couple of hours before departure to after boarding has commenced, (which is quite annoying!) If the flight's controller is on the ball then this is all done before boarding commences. Until all the pax/bags are accounted for, the weight and balance is a calculated guesstimate. A relatively minor imbalance can be corrected by adding ballast bags into the hold of the aircraft. The smaller the aircraft the more susceptible it is to weight and balance issues.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
YVR-YYC too...
Those are definitely getting increasingly rare in the age of 85% load factors. The most likely odds of an 'empty' Rapidair are the last flights of the day.

Probably the most common day for empty flights nowadays is on Christmas Day.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YoYUL
Those are definitely getting increasingly rare in the age of 85% load factors. The most likely odds of an 'empty' Rapidair are the last flights of the day.

Probably the most common day for empty flights nowadays is on Christmas Day.
Last year I did 100+ Rapidair flights... one example of a near empty flight was midday. But I agree that most of the time the flights are packed at any time of the day. First and last flights too.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
My next flight (YTZ - YUL) also had pax reseating for W&B before takeoff. But this was on a Q400, so more expected. We'll see if I score a hat trick and get three flights in a row when I go YUL - YVR. I've been flying AC for 30+ years and these flights were my first and second with reseating pax for W&B.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.