Hang Onto Your PED's

Old May 25, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Flew AC HND-YYZ April 10th in J and our 10 month old knocked my wife's iPhone out of her hand and down the side of the pod. There was no announcement around the topic and the FA suggested lifting the leg rest potion of the seat to try get it out, otherwise maintenance would have to get it when we landed.

I was able to get it out, but after reading this, the immediately unforeseen risks make sense. I was able to see the phone down the side, using my flashlight and was able to reach in far enough to get it with the leg rest up.

Flying from TPE to HKG, the woman beside me lost her diamond earrings to the BR J seat during takeoff.

Last edited by mjrobson; May 25, 2018 at 11:20 am Reason: can't spell
Old May 25, 2018, 8:04 pm

I can't believe AC hasn't provided a solution while still making the customer pay for it....

Velcro strips! $10.99 per pair. Or even just one part with the other strategically placed on certain surfaces for customer convenience.

In all seriousness, I think a little care will cover the vast majority of issues like this. The baby smacking the phone/tablet away not so much. But for the rest, a little common sense...
​​
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/0...s-class-seats/

Personal electronic devices have a way of slipping out of passengers hands and into the crevices of business class seats, which can create a headache for airline staffers, who must retrieve the PEDs; and in worst-case scenarios, a fire hazard if they are crushed within the seating mechanism before being detected.

Grappling with this common problem, Air Canada has launched an internal project to study ways to catch passengers gadgets when they disappear into the carriers lie-flat business class seats, Runway Girl Network has learned.

The airline is looking to add nets to the underlying structures of the seats without impacting the product, said Air Canada VP, products Andrew Yiu. Its easy to say, get the flight attendants and theyll get it. But in most cases, its still very difficult to do so.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by HurricaneSonic
If your phone falls between the seats, please dont try to to retrieve it yourself

I'm sure many of you have noticed this recent addition to the regular pre-flight announcements. I'm assuming there was a specific event/lawsuit that prompted this... anyone have any details?

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I can't believe AC hasn't provided a solution while still making the customer pay for it....

Velcro strips! $10.99 per pair. Or even just one part with the other strategically placed on certain surfaces for customer convenience.

In all seriousness, I think a little care will cover the vast majority of issues like this. The baby smacking the phone/tablet away not so much. But for the rest, a little common sense...
​​
(bolding mine)
@HurricaneSonic @StuckInYYZ

I've heard the announcement as part of the pre-departure message on every single TPAC for quite some time now. In multiple languages.

I give Air Canada credit for including the message. None of that will stop stupid people who think their devices will magically stay in place when the aircraft starts climbing after take-off. Or during turbulence.

I've seen crew on the floor with flashlights, searching under the J seats trying to recover these items. I don't think the cabin crew should have to spend time searching for devices where there are preventative behavioural options available.

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/0...s-class-seats/

Personal electronic devices have a way of slipping out of passengers’ hands and into the crevices of business class seats, which can create a headache for airline staffers, who must retrieve the PEDs; and in worst-case scenarios, a fire hazard if they are crushed within the seating mechanism before being detected.

Grappling with this common problem, Air Canada has launched an internal project to study ways to catch passengers’ gadgets when they disappear into the carrier’s lie-flat business class seats, Runway Girl Network has learned.

The airline is looking to add nets to the underlying structures of the seats “without impacting the product”, said Air Canada VP, products Andrew Yiu. “It’s easy to say, ‘get the flight attendants and they’ll get it’. But in most cases, it’s still very difficult to do so.”
Nets are a nice idea of course, especially in PE and Y. I see many people put their devices in seat-back pockets, which isn't an option in the 777/788/9 J cabins. But the covered side table is there and that hard top never opens as a result of climb, descent or turbulence.

Other low tech options are: hold your phone, put it in your laptop bag/ purse/ under-seat carry-on etc.

Of course then we may have to deal with the overheated phone battery challenge.

(Personal anecdotes from recent flights: I've seen a few mature adults nearly in tears or freak out when their phones slid off the side table and under the seat. One was able to retrieve it himself and one had to get the help of cabin crew. I asked them why the thought keeping their phone on the table or unsecured was a good idea. I'll bet neither of them will do this again.)
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tcook052
The airline is looking to add nets to the underlying structures of the seats without impacting the product, said Air Canada VP, products Andrew Yiu. Its easy to say, get the flight attendants and theyll get it. But in most cases, its still very difficult to do so.
My Apple Pencil was saved by some sort of net being the J seat of a 789 last week. The SD was able to reach down behind my seat and grab it pretty easily, but he also said that the net didn't extent to cover the entire gap and that my stylus missed the abyss by a couple of inches. Granted, most people don't put their phones over their ear as I was doing with the stylus, but you'd have to think that the airline would actively want to prevent anything from falling into any part of the seat that isn't particularly reachable.

Nice to see our old friend Andrew involved with addressing this ^
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
I usually have a piece of string looped through one sleeve and out there other with my QCs attached to the right end, and my JW Black (Personal Entertainment Drink) attached to the left end. That way, I won't drop either over the side.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:48 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left
I give Air Canada credit for including the message. None of that will stop stupid people who think their devices will magically stay in place when the aircraft starts climbing after take-off. Or during turbulence.
Yeah, it's also part of Air New Zealand's non-lame flight safety video now too. Seems to be a thing.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Maybe Robbie Cano wouldn't have been caught if he hung on to his PEDs.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
(bolding mine)
@HurricaneSonic @StuckInYYZ

I've heard the announcement as part of the pre-departure message on every single TPAC for quite some time now. In multiple languages.

I've seen crew on the floor with flashlights, searching under the J seats trying to recover these items. I don't think the cabin crew should have to spend time searching for devices where there are preventative behavioural options available.
I find the message, while nice, tends to get ignored pretty much like everything else the flight crew announces. I see the safety video playing on the screen, but very few are paying attention...

Cabin crew should not be searching under the seats for people's phones. You don't know what could be on the floor of the cabin...And considering the aircraft are "deep" cleaned.... say every six months? I would not want my face near that floor. If you drop something between the seats, wait til you land and someone can safely retrieve it without potentially getting sick...

(And I wasn't kidding about the velcro... or non-slip surface mats....)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
The cabin crew aren't made of sugar - they are perfectly capable of retrieving lost devices. If it were me, I'd be first on the floor to find my own fallen item, but if an FA lent a hand, I wouldn't refuse nor think it's beneath his/her job duties. An FA is on board primarily for the safety of the passenger complement, and as we have an identified safety (fire) hazard with electronic devices in crevices, it's one of those 'part of the job' things we all do during the course of our day. They wouldn't offer if it were unsafe, inconvenient or merely gross to do so.

Also, a moment of inattention, carelessness or being unaware of the possibility of losing a device does not make a passenger stupid. There likely isn't a mobile phone user on the planet who hasn't inadvertently dropped it at some point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.