Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New policy concerning personal headsets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy concerning personal headsets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AC, UA, Delta, TG, WestJet
On AC832 yesterday, (B787), they clearly announced that NO BLUETOOTH headset were allowed at anytime during the flight!!!!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm actually a little surprised. My understanding was that the 787 was now approved for wifi, so even if it's not installed yet, shouldn't BT be allowed?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm actually a little surprised. My understanding was that the 787 was now approved for wifi, so even if it's not installed yet, shouldn't BT be allowed?
Your understanding is incorrect. The use of Bluetooth is only permitted once the aircraft is equipped with the WiFi equipment, as the exemption to the CAR is applicable only to WiFi equipped aircraft.

TCCA exemption issued 2018-02-23, expires 2023-02-15:
OTT-022-2018 The purpose of this exemption is to allow Air Canada, when operating under Subpart 705 of the CARs, to permit, during all phases of flight, the use of Wi-Fi onboard connectivity, more specifically Air Canada GoGo, onboard its Boeing 787-8 and Boeing 787-9 aeroplanes that are equipped with a broadband services system. The Air Canada GoGo will enable the use of transmitting PEDs to access the internet, check emails and use instant messaging by means of transmitting and receiving signals over the Wi-Fi connectivity.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
Your understanding is incorrect. The use of Bluetooth is only permitted once the aircraft is equipped with the WiFi equipment, as the exemption to the CAR is applicable only to WiFi equipped aircraft.

TCCA exemption issued 2018-02-23, expires 2023-02-15:
Your quote mentions nothing about Bluetooth. I appreciate regulations are complicated, and that if a FA says it's not allowed, then I need to obey crew instructions, but is there anything specific about BT operation?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Your quote mentions nothing about Bluetooth. I appreciate regulations are complicated, and that if a FA says it's not allowed, then I need to obey crew instructions, but is there anything specific about BT operation?
WiFi and Bluetooth use the same frequencies, however the exemption is for the installed equipment on the aircraft and its related use in the cabin. Therefore the summary (which I quoted) of the exemption will only mention Wifi and specifically GoGo. The complete exemption document goes into more details and the AC response to The Minister with their updated cabin and cabin crew procedures (which must be approved by The Minister) will cover the permitted use of Bluetooth PEDs in the cabin by passengers. As the exemption is only applicable to aircraft that have the WiFi equipment installed in the aircraft, AC will only permit the use of Bluetooth PEDs in A/C that have the WiFi equipment physically installed. No WiFi equipment installed, no exemption to the CAR.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
WiFi and Bluetooth use the same frequencies, however the exemption is for the installed equipment on the aircraft and its related use in the cabin. Therefore the summary (which I quoted) of the exemption will only mention Wifi and specifically GoGo. The complete exemption document goes into more details and the AC response to The Minister with their updated cabin and cabin crew procedures (which must be approved by The Minister) will cover the permitted use of Bluetooth PEDs in the cabin by passengers. As the exemption is only applicable to aircraft that have the WiFi equipment installed in the aircraft, AC will only permit the use of Bluetooth PEDs in A/C that have the WiFi equipment physically installed. No WiFi equipment installed, no exemption to the CAR.
I assume as long as the WiFi equipment is installed , BT is permitted even if the WiFi is inoperative?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:00 am

Flew two long haul 787 to Asia last week on AC. Neither had WiFi.

YVR to PVG, no mention at all about not using bluetooth, just the usual warning about electronics in airplane mode.

ICN to YYZ, obnoxiously stated about 6 times in the flight that there was to be NO BLUETOOTH DEVICES! used at ANY TIME. Probably could have lit up a cigarette with less resistance...

So dumb.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Did a YUL-YYZ-HKG roundtrip earlier this week. Functional wifi aboard all 4 legs, however was given the "no bluetooth devices" spiel on the YYZ-HKG and YYZ-YUL segments. Pretty strange...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:18 pm

Bluetooth use in-flight coming to Jazz Q400 aircraft.

At some point in the near future one would presume. ^

OTT-014-2018 The purpose of this exemption is to allow Jazz Aviation LP when operating under Subpart 5 of Part VII of the CARs to permit the use of Bluetooth devices on board its Bombardier DHC-8-Q402 aeroplanes during all phases of flight. The DHC-8-402 aircraft are not equipped with a Wi-Fi System, therefore passengers will not be able to connect to an onboard broadband systems. The use of personal Bluetooth devices will enable passengers to have access to personal audio entertainment on their own electronic devices.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:02 pm

At some point in the near future one would presume. ^

It's been allowed on the Q and CRJ 200 for about a month or so. Leaving only the DH1/3
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:17 pm

Wow EYW is going to be tolerable solo
jaysona likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by AC681
It's been allowed on the Q and CRJ 200 for about a month or so. Leaving only the DH1/3
My most recent YUL-YTZ flight the announcement was made that Bluetooth devices were not permitted. I guess old habits die hard. I have not been on a DH1/3 or CR2 in years so I can’t speak for those.

I am a few months behind in my exemption updates, I haven’t seen any exemptions issued for the DH1, DH3 or CR2 yet, that doesn’t mean they haven’t been issued, I just haven’t seen/read them yet.

Personally, I don’t use Bluetooth - and probably never will, so the changes have no impact on me, but at least others will be permitted to use their Bluetooth devices in some cases.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Has AC made any changes to the policy recently? I was scolded by an SD today for wanting to watch my tablet with my headphones during final pre-landing check. Second time this year, although I can't remember when exactly the other flight was.

Then again, today'' SD was what some around here might refer to as a "battleaxe", so she just may not keep herself up to date.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Has AC made any changes to the policy recently? I was scolded by an SD today for wanting to watch my tablet with my headphones during final pre-landing check. Second time this year, although I can't remember when exactly the other flight was.

Then again, today'' SD was what some around here might refer to as a "battleaxe", so she just may not keep herself up to date.
Not that I know of, got scolded last week for having my headphones in during the safety video (and that was fair), but not during final pre-landing check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.