Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why can't they allow pre-purchase of Unlimited Flight Passes?

Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

It's really quite goofy. I'll be buying one next week for ITAG and MrsITAG too. Client fees cover the cost + some. Lots of flights to book.

But I have to wait until the day before, or day of, the flight to purchase the thing to get the full 3 months out of it.

Could the brainiacs in AC IT not rig up a method to put in place an 'effective on' date on the purchase, or is this far beyond their skill set and mental capability.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Lol, at the rate AC IT "iterates", I would say maybe 2040?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
It's really quite goofy. I'll be buying one next week for ITAG and MrsITAG too. Client fees cover the cost + some. Lots of flights to book.

But I have to wait until the day before, or day of, the flight to purchase the thing to get the full 3 months out of it.

Could the brainiacs in AC IT not rig up a method to put in place an 'effective on' date on the purchase, or is this far beyond their skill set and mental capability.
You could get the concierge to do it for you on a specified date, if this is that important to you.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .995 MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc

I have had AC "post-date" a UFP.

Actually they have done it a couple of times, but always with a bit of effort on my part and always as a "renewal" of an existing FP. I have never asked for a "post-date" of a new UFP, but the same principal should apply.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
They have purchase dates, so it doesn't seem like a huge stretch to imagine allowing that field to be specified at time of purchase, with reasonable limitations (i.e. any time within the next 30 days).
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:05 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They have purchase dates, so it doesn't seem like a huge stretch to imagine allowing that field to be specified at time of purchase, with reasonable limitations (i.e. any time within the next 30 days).
Yes, but it doesn't seem like a huge stretch to expect the website to work in Chrome, yet they can't get that right...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
I have had AC "post-date" a UFP.

Actually they have done it a couple of times, but always with a bit of effort on my part and always as a "renewal" of an existing FP. I have never asked for a "post-date" of a new UFP, but the same principal should apply.
It is a published benefit of the UFP, that you can commit to renewing it 1 month in advance. I have one expiring at the end of April. It currently has a link allowing me to renew it. I don't know why yours is a hassle. Every 6 months, this link shows up for me.

I believe that ITAG is asking for something completely different. To me, as condescending as the question was, the request is reasonable. I have sent a respectful suggestion to the FP Manager to get an answer. I will act as ITAG's filter.
DrunkCargo and deeker like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Thanks YEG_SE4Life -- a true contributor! It does seem like a reasonable thing for AC to do.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:16 pm

delete

Last edited by pitz; Apr 1, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
It is a published benefit of the UFP, that you can commit to renewing it 1 month in advance. I have one expiring at the end of April. It currently has a link allowing me to renew it. I don't know why yours is a hassle. Every 6 months, this link shows up for me.

I believe that ITAG is asking for something completely different. To me, as condescending as the question was, the request is reasonable. I have sent a respectful suggestion to the FP Manager to get an answer. I will act as ITAG's filter.
This is not a renewal, it is a new FP. Nothing condescending at all about my question.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Nexus,GE
This is true on renewals. And yet ... I have a FP expiring in the last week of April and I can't find the renewal link? It have used it before.... odd
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .995 MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by deeker
This is true on renewals. And yet ... I have a FP expiring in the last week of April and I can't find the renewal link? It have used it before.... odd
my renewal link only showed up about 10 days before my most recent renewal, and only after I inquired a couple of times.

If a flight pass changes (routes included in plan) you might not be able to renew.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Sounds like you're buying unlimited FPs?

I always just wait to the day before or day of to buy the unlimited FPs. Never thought about it being an inconvenience... that is, buying the passes near the day of the first flight to be booked on the pass.
jaysona likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sounds like you're buying unlimited FPs?

I always just wait to the day before or day of to buy the unlimited FPs. Never thought about it being an inconvenience... that is, buying the passes near the day of the first flight to be booked on the pass.
I had a similar thought as well, what's so hard/difficult about purchasing the FP on the first day of travel for that month? I always purchase my UFP either day before or day-of travel, never had any issues for the tens of dozens UFPs purchased over the past decade.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaysona

I had a similar thought as well, what's so hard/difficult about purchasing the FP on the first day of travel for that month? I always purchase my UFP either day before or day-of travel, never had any issues for the tens of dozens UFPs purchased over the past decade.
Because if J is filling up, difficult to lock in upgrades...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.