Search

Question: AC services at PVG?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC-E50K / WS-P / Hyatt-G
AC services at PVG?

Good morning all!

We are about to fly AC26 PVG-YVR in a couple of days. What should we expect at PVG by way of AC specific services--in particular, does AC have dedicated counters there? If so, what time might they open--I believe the PVG-YVR is the first AC flight of the day, followed by the flights to YUL and YYZ. We are in J, so should be able to access the CA business lounge, IIRC, once we clear security...any other options airside?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I have only done PVG once but there are check in counters and the concierge (younger guy) is usually there.

Seems to be standard on smaller international stations.

Usually, it is 3 hours before your flight is when it opens.

...and yes. Air China lounge is fine. 2 story lounge with OK food. I didn't do a ton of exploring while I was there but there was your usual shops around. I just hung out in the lounge until it was time to fly.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
the Air China lounge at pvg is the best one I have been at. the check in is ok. they line gets kind of long as the YYZ and YRV people all line up at the same time. so line up in the priority line.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G, Natl XcElite
  1. For PVG always arrive a minimum 2hrs ahead of departure to be safe due to unpredictable lineups at check in and outgoing customs and security.
  2. Forget AC services, the only thing I ever stop for at for PVG IS starbucks airside or noodle spots airside if desperately hungry.
  3. I don't like ac biz class food but I dislike pvg terminal food more.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:25 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
A couple of thoughts from my recent experience:
AC has dedicated counters but they are staffed by airport contract staff who are not especially helpful.
Concierge can be a bit tough to reach because s/he cycles between counters and gates of incoming and outbound a/c.
AC will not issue bp more than 3 hours ahead of your flight (I know because I arrived on a connecting flight earlier in the day and had to cool my heels until the 3 hour window; concierge said they were unable to help). So you really want to time your arrival to between 2 and 3 hours
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I had delicious curry in the CA lounge, followed by a month of food poisoning symptoms resolved by a $5,000 hospital bill. However, I can't guarantee they are still serving the food poisoning version.
eigenvector and Stranger like this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
It also should be noted that Air Canada does not have a transfer counter at PVG. If arriving on another flight, you will need to go through immigration and go upstairs to the AC check in area and back through immigration and security.
You cannot check bags through PVG to your final destination either (you can through PEK)
​​​​
sram likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I had delicious curry in the CA lounge, followed by a month of food poisoning symptoms resolved by a $5,000 hospital bill. However, I can't guarantee they are still serving the food poisoning version.
How can you be sure it's CA lounge?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by DistressedAssetInvestor
  1. For PVG always arrive a minimum 2hrs ahead of departure to be safe due to unpredictable lineups at check in and outgoing customs and security.
  2. Forget AC services, the only thing I ever stop for at for PVG IS starbucks airside or noodle spots airside if desperately hungry.
  3. I don't like ac biz class food but I dislike pvg terminal food more.
OP is in J, which means they should have priority security line access.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
OP is in J, which means they should have priority security line access.
But not immigration (although APEC will get you to the priority immigration line)
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
How can you be sure it's CA lounge?
I was very careful with everything I ate there until that point and I consulted public health experts and medical experts on my symptoms and the timing. Am I 100% sure, no. I will say it was legit delicious curry, but as we see in MLL, any buffet is easily contaminated by fellow guests.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: TK *G
There is dedicated check-in counters which should be staffed 3 hours before departure time. There is also dedicate security line for J, can't remember if there's any dedicated immigration line. I once arrived 50 minutes before departure and still spent 20 minutes in the lounge.

The CA lounge there is better than international MLLs (not the SSL). At meal time there are various (around 10) hot dishes and dim sum, sandwiches.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:59 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by songsc
There is dedicated check-in counters which should be staffed 3 hours before departure time. There is also dedicate security line for J, can't remember if there's any dedicated immigration line. I once arrived 50 minutes before departure and still spent 20 minutes in the lounge.

The CA lounge there is better than international MLLs (not the SSL). At meal time there are various (around 10) hot dishes and dim sum, sandwiches.
There is no dedicated immigration line for J. And the wait times at immigration are far worse than at security, which is immediately after immigration. So the J-priority at security is nice, but not that big of a deal because it's right after the bottleneck.

I am stunned that you could arrive at the airport 50 min before departure and have time for the lounge. It must have been a time of day where there was nobody at immigration, and I have yet to find what that time of day is!!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
There is no dedicated immigration line for J. And the wait times at immigration are far worse than at security, which is immediately after immigration. So the J-priority at security is nice, but not that big of a deal because it's right after the bottleneck.

I am stunned that you could arrive at the airport 50 min before departure and have time for the lounge. It must have been a time of day where there was nobody at immigration, and I have yet to find what that time of day is!!
Unless sth have changed recently, as late as 2016 summer the line was minimal, certainly much quicker vs US CBP at Pearson
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: SEMM,SPG Plat
Unless sth have changed recently, as late as 2016 summer the line was minimal, certainly much quicker vs US CBP at Pearson
I have been multiple times since 2016 and the longest lines I have seen have been 2017/2018 the lines seem to keep getting longer. I don't know how fast it takes to get through however as I have APEC so I cruise right past, best money I have spent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.