Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC changes to North American fares: introduces Comfort, renames Tango to Standard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC changes to North American fares: introduces Comfort, renames Tango to Standard

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jc94
Doesn’t Flex have the first checked bag and standard seat selection free?

Yes.

Originally Posted by jc94
I checked YYZ SFO, Tango is now called Standard; Comfort isn’t showing up.
I also checked a number of routes:
short haul domestic
long haul domestic
transborder
TPAC
TATL
I don't see comfort fares either.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Yes.

I also checked a number of routes:
short haul domestic
long haul domestic
transborder
TPAC
TATL
I don't see comfort fares either.
Wasn’t the launch planned for April 5th?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jasdou
Wasn’t the launch planned for April 5th?
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by bawm
Effective April 4, 2018, Air Canada will introduce comfort fares, positioned between Flex and Latitude, to its suite of economy fare brands available on North American markets. The introduction of this new fare brand follows the launch of Economy Basic on February 20, 2018, and will allow Air Canada to expand its suite of Fare Brands to offer its customers products that best meet their individual travel needs.
Tango is showing up as standard fares.

Soft launch with a hard landing?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: AC 75K
On a random check of a few routes, I don't even see fares filed with the "CO" suffix to indicate Comfort.

The details have been added to this page for both Canada and US.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...in-canada.html
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...to-the-us.html

Last edited by ChrisA330; Apr 4, 2018 at 7:35 am
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Wow. This is getting super ridiculous (it was ridiculous already). And of course I would assume there will be a devaluation of benefits.
Also, can anyone remember when Flex was a fixed add-on to Tango? Like $50 or so?
Does anyone remember when some people *cough* were like, oh no, they will never have tango fares on 'business' US routes and transatlantics.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:52 am

Comfort fares are starting to be populated. This is for YYZ-YVR for a random date in October. For comparison, PE lowest is $779.

tcook052, Bohemian1 and jc94 like this.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Apr 4, 2018 at 9:04 am
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
So Comfort is more or less the old (well, not very old) high flex with a few extra aeroplan points. Looking at a flight I will be booking for May, YWG-YVR, it looks like for me the only change of substance is the upgrade features that (as someone speculated above) have been split out; looks like the flex fare no longer allows an option to pick a higher flex fare and not have to pay the co-pay. So from my perspective the end result of what they've done over the last year (or so?) by adding co-pay and now adding comfort is make it so those of us who are allowed to book flex by our employers either sit in Y or pay out of pocket in addition to using credits. Would much rather AC had added a new fare class below flex that had the co-pay!

I wonder how this will affect flex flight passes, which used to book into high flex and not require the co-pay for upgrades. Will they book into Comfort? Or will they now require co-pay? If the latter, what about existing FPs, will they be grandfathered?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Altitude SEMM
For those who prefer pictures:

Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
"Free premium beverage"

Also, I'm seeing a ~$40 USD surcharge for Comfort over Flex on SFO-YYZ. And of course, as someone with status, most of the perks don't apply to me.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PB53x11
So Comfort is more or less the old (well, not very old) high flex with a few extra aeroplan points. Looking at a flight I will be booking for May, YWG-YVR, it looks like for me the only change of substance is the upgrade features that (as someone speculated above) have been split out; looks like the flex fare no longer allows an option to pick a higher flex fare and not have to pay the co-pay. So from my perspective the end result of what they've done over the last year (or so?) by adding co-pay and now adding comfort is make it so those of us who are allowed to book flex by our employers either sit in Y or pay out of pocket in addition to using credits. Would much rather AC had added a new fare class below flex that had the co-pay!

I wonder how this will affect flex flight passes, which used to book into high flex and not require the co-pay for upgrades. Will they book into Comfort? Or will they now require co-pay? If the latter, what about existing FPs, will they be grandfathered?
The functionality to select High-Flex is gone from the site, but no changes to eupgrade requirements. On purpose, I choose a flight where only high flex was available and the eupgrade requirements were in line with what they are right now. It appears to be a case where one may have to phone in to rebook in high flex
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I priced out a 1 way YHZ-YUL in mid May and found this:

Standard Fare: $169
Standard Fare + Checked Bag + Regular Seat Selection (Pseudo Flex): $211
Standard Fare + Checked Bag + Preferred Seat Selection (Pseudo Comfort A): $229
Flex Fare: $204
Flex Fare + Preferred Seat Selection (Pseudo Comfort B): $233
Comfort Fare: $277

When I travel, I know my dates and I know they won't change, so actual flexibility on the ticket means nothing to me. Neither do AP points. So if I compare the features of the ticket that have nothing to do with flexibility or Aeroplan points this is what I find. If I need a checked bag and want to be able to pick my seat, Flex is better than standard + upgrades. If I need a checked bag and want a preferred seat, then Standard + upgrades is the way to go. If I don't need a checked bag, then Standard is the way to go, whether or not I want to preselect any kind of seat. In this case Comfort is rather overpriced.

Caveats:
I only looked at one flight on one day, so my conclusion can't be expanded to the general case.
My flying patterns are very much for FOTSG leisure travellers. My needs are thus very different from most people on this board.
I chose a flight that I am actually considering, thus the seemingly arbitrary date and time of May 16, 19:20 to YUL. I actually priced it as the first half of a round trip if that matters.
jc94 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Comfort fares are starting to be populated. This is for YYZ-YVR for a random date in October. For comparison, PE lowest is $779.

$230 more for Flex to Comfort. Does not seem like good value. Unless you really value the same day change ($75 cost), free drink and 115% AQM, it may be cheaper to buy flex and pay for a preferred seat. What is the point of being able to change upto 61 days out ? Most changes would be required closer to the date.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
$230 more for Flex to Comfort. Does not seem like good value. Unless you really value the same day change ($75 cost), free drink and 115% AQM, it may be cheaper to buy flex and pay for a preferred seat. What is the point of being able to change upto 61 days out ? Most changes would be required closer to the date.
I don't disagree, but it's not always that extreme. For example, June 13th YYZ-YVR has a $57 differential from Standard to Flex, and another $45 from Flex to Comfort.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Flex vs Flex Comfort.

Any idea how this will impact eUpgrades?
ie) Still a copay fee with Flex I imagine... will there be one with Comfort?

And any copay fees with domestic eUpgrades?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Flex vs Flex Comfort.

Any idea how this will impact eUpgrades?
ie) Still a copay fee with Flex I imagine... will there be one with Comfort?

And any copay fees with domestic eUpgrades?
Some (low) Flex has copay. Some does not.

Unless there is a significant eUp type saving I don’t seem many advantages for those with status. FOTSG Tangerines like me... well I’d be grabbing the calculator as I nearly always check a bag and preferred seat, but don’t tend to BoB (food or drink beyond water).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.