Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC changes to North American fares: introduces Comfort, renames Tango to Standard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC changes to North American fares: introduces Comfort, renames Tango to Standard

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Wow. This is getting super ridiculous (it was ridiculous already). And of course I would assume there will be a devaluation of benefits.
Also, can anyone remember when Flex was a fixed add-on to Tango? Like $50 or so?
With branded fares, Flex is practically a fixed add-on now. It varies per route, but on a given route, it tends to be $X %...TG, and $(X+Y) for %...FL.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by Stranger
Normally it indicates a strong inferiority complex. Especially in academia.
Now it makes sense.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by bawm
Effective April 4, 2018, Air Canada will introduce comfort fares, positioned between Flex and Latitude, to its suite of economy fare brands available on North American markets. The introduction of this new fare brand follows the launch of Economy Basic on February 20, 2018, and will allow Air Canada to expand its suite of Fare Brands to offer its customers products that best meet their individual travel needs.

Given the ultra-low cost carrier and economy landscape, Air Canada has recognized the opportunity for additional economy fare options that allow customers to choose their travel experience while still benefitting from world-class Air Canada service at a competitive price point on select routes.

Further information on the new Comfort fare brand and its attributes will be communicated on April 4, 2018.
The extreme of this idea is just monetizing every cubic foot, and having a completely modifiable cabin. i.e. paying for standing room only (economy erect), vs being able to pay for two seats, but have the seat in front of you removed for extra leg room (economy lounge) vs sardine can bunk beds in the back (economy supine).
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ylwae
World-class? Which world? I know, but I had to comment on it anyway. Another word which is largely meaningless these days.
I have always found that organisations and services that are "world class" never label themselves as such. It is simply not needed as everyone already knows they are "world class".

The ones that have to say they are world class. Well that is another story.
ffsim likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Fiordland
The ones that have to say they are world class. Well that is another story.
Like the City of Toronto.
24left and Fiordland like this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC 35k
I wonder if "Comfort" is the start of making the Preferred Seats into a sub-cabin like Delta does.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: TK *G
My guesses are:

1. Devaluation to current Flex

2. Some benefits taken away from Altitude programs to force people buy "comfort".
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I wonder if "Comfort" is the start of making the Preferred Seats into a sub-cabin like Delta does.
Give the man a box of snickers.

That makes sense and also explains the large number of preferred seats in the new 737Max aircraft.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
When looking at other airlines, it's as if AC would now have one too many fare classes. Now, it does somewhat makes sense from the perspective that the preferred seat section becomes a quasi premium economy cabin for domestic/transcon.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
With branded fares, Flex is practically a fixed add-on now. It varies per route, but on a given route, it tends to be $X %...TG, and $(X+Y) for %...FL.
Glad we have a great website and app to do the math for us.

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Isnt that the PY cabin which is meant to be exclusive but really isn’t?

I’m still betting its bacially latitude without the refundable part. And know how great AC is it’ll be cheaper to buy a preffered seat half the time.

And less eUps and no copay. Also known as high Flex. But bookable online, via the website, sometimes.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Where can one find the booking or fare code in Air Canada's website "Manage my booking" section? Is that available?

thanks
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Where can one find the booking or fare code in Air Canada's website "Manage my booking" section? Is that available?

thanks

Follow the screen shots

MasterGeek and quantumofforce like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jc94
Isnt that the PY cabin which is meant to be exclusive but really isn’t?
Preferred seats have nothing to do with the PY cabin. Except, of course, most people would prefer to sit in PY than in economy.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: status-free
Comfort class

• 1st checked bag free
  • Free changes up to 61 days before departure
  • 115% Aeroplan Miles
  • Free extra legroom & standard seat selection
  • Free same-day standby
So, it looks kinda like Economy Plus, with the "free extra legroom" thing, plus a few extra Aeroplan points.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by biglinguist
  • 1st checked bag free
  • Free changes up to 61 days before departure
  • 115% Aeroplan Miles
  • Free extra legroom & standard seat selection
  • Free same-day standby
So, it looks kinda like Economy Plus, with the "free extra legroom" thing, plus a few extra Aeroplan points.
Doesn’t Flex have the first checked bag and standard seat selection free?

As always, how the geniuses price it will be key.

I checked YYZ SFO, Tango is now called Standard; Comfort isn’t showing up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.