Asiana (OZ) Award Space Missing

Old Mar 28, 18, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Asiana (OZ) Award Space Missing

Is anyone else having issues with OZ space not showing?

I can see the usual availability on most flights in November and early December (ie. at least 2 seats on OZ201 and OZ203 from LAX-ICN in first, business, and economy), but looking ahead into 2019 there's no space showing on the North American routes, or any routes in Asia. Looking via other tools, the seats show up no problem. Aeroplan provided their usual unhelpful answer about partners releasing space at different times etc etc
Old Mar 28, 18, 8:19 am

Yes, I noticed far fewer OZ redemption availability then before during my recent reward travel planning. Not sure if it's OZ or Aeroplan.

AC is definitely rationing the no. of redemption seats availability to Aeroplan, even for those of us who are prepared to pay the exorbitant fees.
Old Mar 28, 18, 9:04 am

Programs: *G
I noticed an absence of OZ when doing some recent Canada-Asia-Australia searches and booking. Was not sure if it was just too early, but there again, I was not in a hurry to repeat OZ after an underwhelming J experience last year.
Old Mar 28, 18, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
Yes, I noticed far fewer OZ redemption availability then before during my recent reward travel planning. Not sure if it's OZ or Aeroplan.

AC is definitely rationing the no. of redemption seats availability to Aeroplan, even for those of us who are prepared to pay the exorbitant fees.
Funny is, they always seem to ration the non-scamcharge airlines (CA,LX,AV,CM,UA,ET) and the low-scamcharge ones (OZ,LO) - but never the full scamcharge ones
Old Mar 30, 18, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry
I posted about this on the OZ forum. I don't see any space in 2019.

They may not be the top carrier but at the end of the day sometimes you just need the space. Very difficult to book some destinations out of HNL without them in at least one direction.
Old Mar 30, 18, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
No need to attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.

Since there are still OZ rewards available in 2018 but not 2019 I am tempted to classify this as stupidity. Has anybody actually tried communicating with AE, or looking to see if there is space in other booking engines?
Old Mar 30, 18, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Iíve been watching OZ space like a hawk over the past few months for a mRTW scheduled to start next week. Iíve seen plenty of J and F availability for every scenario I considered in April 2018... maybe availability just hasnít been released yet for the part of 2019 that interests OP.
Old Mar 30, 18, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry
This is not Aeroplan-specific. Same thing with MP.
Old Mar 31, 18, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
No need to attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.

Since there are still OZ rewards available in 2018 but not 2019 I am tempted to classify this as stupidity. Has anybody actually tried communicating with AE, or looking to see if there is space in other booking engines?
I thought so too, but ANA is showing lots of availability. United (as mentioned by the poster below) is showing the same lack of space as Aeroplan. I did try and contact AP (mentioned at the end of my OP) but they provided their usual unhelpful "different award space released at different times by different partners" etc etc.

Originally Posted by Taoyuan View Post
This is not Aeroplan-specific. Same thing with MP.
Originally Posted by ffsim View Post
Iíve been watching OZ space like a hawk over the past few months for a mRTW scheduled to start next week. Iíve seen plenty of J and F availability for every scenario I considered in April 2018... maybe availability just hasnít been released yet for the part of 2019 that interests OP.
Also my first thought, but given that there's nothing for any dates in 2019 from January 1 until the end of current availability (in March 2019), I think it's less about specific dates and seems to be some issue with AP / United that isn't happening to ANA... guess it remains to be seen if it will eventually turn up
Old Apr 13, 18, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AC 35K, Aeroplan Plat, National Exec
I called AP about it and they said it's possible they just haven't loaded anything for 2019 yet as its over 8 months out even though Asiana books 356 days out with AP.

They said because there is lots of 2018 availability, it "not an issue" with the airline, so they would not open a ticket to investigate. Suggestion was to check back in a month or 2.
Old Apr 16, 18, 11:11 am

Programs: AA, UA
Experiencing the same thing here. AP and MP show nothing, EF shows nothing, but bookable on ANA. Anyone get any updates? Not sure if UAInsider has any perspective or if someone could ask...

Last edited by derek3927; Apr 16, 18 at 11:48 am
Old Apr 16, 18, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Here's what AP rep told me: "Unfortunately, Aeroplan has its own reward inventory; we do not share the same availabilities as the other reward programs of Star Alliance. Therefore, flights might be available on other airline reward program, as they still hold reward space, and already booked on our end. Hope this clarifies!"
Old Apr 16, 18, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by derek3927 View Post
Here's what AP rep told me: "Unfortunately, Aeroplan has its own reward inventory; we do not share the same availabilities as the other reward programs of Star Alliance. Therefore, flights might be available on other airline reward program, as they still hold reward space, and already booked on our end. Hope this clarifies!"
On tha ANA and SQ forums, there have been complaints that inventory is not available there, that they can see on Aeroplan and UA MP. It doesn't matter what we see on another *A FFP. If it is not available on Aeroplan, either the partner airline didn't release it to Aeroplan, or released less or released different dates and seating, or will release at different times, and so on.
Old Apr 17, 18, 8:49 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AC 35K, Aeroplan Plat, National Exec
I agree, if it's not there, it's not there in the system. It's just "odd" that there is oodles of availability until Dec 31st, 2018 in J and F and starting Jan 1 019, there is not a single OZ flight from any location.

So it's either an AP problem or for an unknown reason, nothing has been released to AP.
Old Jul 15, 18, 8:20 am

Programs: aeroplan, starwood, fairmont
seems as if lots of tpac space now open 2019 [has been for at least a couple weeks]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: