Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana (OZ) Award Space Missing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:48 am

Not saying this is "the" reason but some of the issues with Asiana may be related to the airline itself as it's currently in a World of hurt:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/asian...-idUKL3N21J1QH

Unspecified routes and aircraft are to be cut as the airline seeks to turn around financially.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:59 am

Oh, shoot. Thanks.

Whether or not that's the reason, it's not good news...
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyinglisa
Same issue again.

I've been looking for any aeroplan availability ICN - JFK (flight OZ 222) in J, flexible dates beginning mid-May.
Nothing.

Any ideas what's going on?
May be related
Share trading halted [Asiana financial troubles]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiana_Airlines
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:24 pm

Yeah, seems likely... thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by fin 645
I noticed an absence of OZ when doing some recent Canada-Asia-Australia searches and booking. Was not sure if it was just too early, but there again, I was not in a hurry to repeat OZ after an underwhelming J experience last year.
What route was that on? I only have used Asiana for regional flights and they were fine for a regional Asian product.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mapleg
What route was that on? I only have used Asiana for regional flights and they were fine for a regional Asian product.
My less than exciting experience was ICN-SYD - operated at that time by a 77L. Same flight is now an A380. I also did HKG-ICN in an old 747, seated in an old F seat as a J passenger. Main issue was the never ending meal service (not too much food, just took so long), and complete disregard for cabin bag storage (or lack thereof). Comparison on that trip was with BR (fabulous), TG (excellent) and SQ (terrible - but maybe because it was a "regional" flight).
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
My less than exciting experience was ICN-SYD - operated at that time by a 77L. Same flight is now an A380. I also did HKG-ICN in an old 747, seated in an old F seat as a J passenger. Main issue was the never ending meal service (not too much food, just took so long), and complete disregard for cabin bag storage (or lack thereof). Comparison on that trip was with BR (fabulous), TG (excellent) and SQ (terrible - but maybe because it was a "regional" flight).
Hmm.. I flew Taipei to ICN in February in Asiana J... fairly short flight so meal service was brisk....(but I was surprised there was no actual Korean meal available..only Western)
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't think I've ever done OZ regional, but their international F is probably the worst *A F I've flown (excluding the dead UA F), bearing in mind I haven't bothered with CA or AI.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:49 am

I"ve been flying ICN - JFK in First for a few years and it's been amazing.

I think CA has the same planes though their seats in First don't have doors.

Anyone know how CA First compares with OZ?

There don't seem to be any other Aeroplan options as far as I can tell to get me close to DPS in First...

Last edited by Flyinglisa; Apr 3, 2019 at 6:43 am
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mapleg
Hmm.. I flew Taipei to ICN in February in Asiana J... fairly short flight so meal service was brisk....(but I was surprised there was no actual Korean meal available..only Western)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't think I've ever done OZ regional, but their international F is probably the worst *A F I've flown (excluding the dead UA F), bearing in mind I haven't bothered with CA or AI.
My F seat J pax (on a 744) regional and regular regional J OZ trips have been fine (most have been on a . I expect "domestic" service and that's what I think I get.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It never said it wasn't fine

Just that it was the worst. I've flown LAX-ICN a few times now, and it's been consistent.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:44 pm

ICN - JFK OZ availability in F is back... at least on a few days in May

Interesting!
[Happy dance]
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
CA - F vs OZ - F

Originally Posted by Flyinglisa
I"ve been flying ICN - JFK in First for a few years and it's been amazing.

I think CA has the same planes though their seats in First don't have doors.

Anyone know how CA First compares with OZ?

There don't seem to be any other Aeroplan options as far as I can tell to get me close to DPS in First...
Hard Product:
CA - F (777) PEK - FRA and OZ - F (A380) JFK/LAX - ICN and ICN <> FRA , OZ is better on these flights IMO.Closed cabinet doors on OZ vs CA. Quite enjoyed the guided tour of the entire plane late at night with the FA following (bodyguard) me the whole time. With CA, it was such a late departure of 2:20am from PEK , that I did not really get the full F experience due to extreme fatigue.

Soft Product:
Highly subjective and to each their own tastes, but I found the OZ Korean and Western food options to be better than the CA Chinese choices.

Service:
OZ - F: FA service was quite quick, but in a passive way. At times I was unable to find an attendant during non meal times, but overall their communicable English was better than CA's. Bibimbap is my favourite dish on board either airline. My perception is they try, but will never be mistaken for NH or LH F.
CA -F: FA service was good and the FA was very attentive during the 3am light meal service on this overnight flight. Sadly that was the highlights, as the food was borderline inedible for a FC *A airline. Late night Dim sum tasted like it came out of a microwave. So bad indeed, that I just ate fruits, dessert and congee for breakfast on the pre-arrival meal. Though I will give the nod to CA for interactive service as they are more available if you need anything in flight. Plus they genuinely try to communicate with you if they feel something is wrong.

Lounges:
JFK/ LAX: UA FCL at TBIT and LX SEN Lounge in JFK is much better than ANY CA - F lounge in PEK. Especially at 22:00h - 2:00h, where the food options are worse than a PP lounge in North America.
LAX: access to the UA - FCL private dining in TBIT. In JFK the LX SEN lounge is passable, but the food is truly continental for breakfast, and lunch consists of cold cuts and salads, but no hot options when I was there. On the flip side, there is a SHAKE Shack in the terminal. Yummz.

Overall:
OZ - F all day. As long as they can get over the financial issues they are dealing with.
Flyinglisa and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:56 pm

luvFclass - Thanks for the thorough review! Very informative.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:39 pm

I spoke too soon...

Asiana award space has gone AWOL again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.