Same Day Confirm onto a later flight?

Old Mar 27, 18, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Same Day Confirm onto a later flight?

First time ever flying AC (Be Gentle!)

I booked a MSP-YYZ-BOM flight using my UA miles in Business (I Class). The issue is that my MSP-YYZ flight leaves at 6.30 AM in the morning and leaves with me a hellish 12h layover in YYZ. Since I am booked in First/Business Class, I am wondering if AC allows me to check for available space a day before and confirm into the later flight that leaves MSP at around 4 PM thereby minimizing my layover. Looking at other threads I think its possible to confirm if there is space available but I am not sure how this will work if I am using miles ticketed through UA.

Advice greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 27, 18, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
As far as I know, only AC-issued award tickets are eligible for SDC. Voluntary changes to a MileagePlus ticket can only be made through MP if and when I space is available on the later flight (or X if you're willing to downgrade to confirm on the later flight).

Also, on AC unlike United "SDC" is "same calendar day" not 24 hours before, and it can only be done at the airport.
Old Mar 28, 18, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
As far as I know, only AC-issued award tickets are eligible for SDC. Voluntary changes to a MileagePlus ticket can only be made through MP if and when I space is available on the later flight (or X if you're willing to downgrade to confirm on the later flight).

Also, on AC unlike United "SDC" is "same calendar day" not 24 hours before, and it can only be done at the airport.
Thanks for the response. So it appears like I am stuck with flying out of MSP at 6.30 AM even if there is open space on the 4 PM flight since I can only do so at the airport and if I am already there I may as well fly out rather than take a cab back home. I'll keep watching to see if "I" space opens up and then deal with changing the flight with United.

Couple of follow-on questions: Will I have to collect my checked bags or will AC hold on to them given that the layover in YYZ is nearly 12 hours? I am considering putting in a few hours of work from the lounge but obviously wont be able to do that if I have checked bags to deal with. In the event AC does hold on to my bags, is the lounge adequate (wifi speed, availability of conference rooms for calls, etc) for work?

Thanks again!

Last edited by crazyhorse; Mar 28, 18 at 11:06 am
Old Mar 28, 18, 1:27 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Thanks for the response. So it appears like I am stuck with flying out of MSP at 6.30 AM even if there is open space on the 4 PM flight since I can only do so at the airport and if I am already there I may as well fly out rather than take a cab back home. I'll keep watching to see if "I" space opens up and then deal with changing the flight with United.

Couple of follow-on questions: Will I have to collect my checked bags or will AC hold on to them given that the layover in YYZ is nearly 12 hours? I am considering putting in a few hours of work from the lounge but obviously wont be able to do that if I have checked bags to deal with. In the event AC does hold on to my bags, is the lounge adequate (wifi speed, availability of conference rooms for calls, etc) for work?

Thanks again!
Bags will be tagged through and remain in the airport. You will go through an express passport control and then re-enter the international departure area. However, if you are free to follow the normal arrivals channel and leave the airport and then come back. There is a train that goes downtown from YYZ.
Old Apr 1, 18, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D582 View Post
Bags will be tagged through and remain in the airport. You will go through an express passport control and then re-enter the international departure area. However, if you are free to follow the normal arrivals channel and leave the airport and then come back. There is a train that goes downtown from YYZ.
Thanks for the luggage confirmation. I take it I will have access to the Air Canada lounge for the entire time in order to put in a few hours of work. Specifically need a quiet place for a few calls and fast reliable wifi.
Old Apr 2, 18, 12:23 am

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
Brace yourself for descriptions of lack of quiet (ironically due to people taking calls) and debatable wifi speed, but the J boarding pass provides access to that splendour, such as it is
Old Apr 2, 18, 2:05 am

Hi crazyhorse and Welcome,

Possibly worth an expertflyer watch for I-space availability on the desired flights in a manner useful for your UA level.

But if it were me, I would try to make use of the AC hotel stopover program, and stay at near the airport.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../stopover.html
The Air Canada Stopover Hotel program
You'll likely need to look up your AC PNR code from your UA online booking.

On a reward ticket you're not supposed to get entry, but it may also be worth trying to hit the Signature Suite once you arrive in YYZ. The MLL lounge won't let you stay overnight, but might be good for a bevy and some nibbles at that time of day.

Presumably you'll need to go through Canada customs before heading to Int'l (I cannot speak for this).

Last edited by eracerblue; Apr 2, 18 at 6:47 am
Old Apr 2, 18, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eracerblue View Post
Hi crazyhorse and Welcome,

Possibly worth an expertflyer watch for I-space availability on the desired flights in a manner useful for your UA level.

But if it were me, I would try to make use of the AC hotel stopover program, and stay at near the airport.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../stopover.html
The Air Canada Stopover Hotel program
You'll likely need to look up your AC PNR code from your UA online booking.

On a reward ticket you're not supposed to get entry, but it may also be worth trying to hit the Signature Suite once you arrive in YYZ. The MLL lounge won't let you stay overnight, but might be good for a bevy and some nibbles at that time of day.

Presumably you'll need to go through Canada customs before heading to Int'l (I cannot speak for this).
Thanks for letting me know about this program. I tried online and then called the reservations as well and they confirmed that its not available on an award ticket. Thanks for letting me know though. Definitely something to keep in mind for the future. I'll keep watching to see if the later flights open up and then call in to change (assuming UA let's me as a Silver)

I read up on the Signature Suite and I'll give that a shot as well. If they dont let me in, I'll hang out at the regular MLL. I get into YYZ at 9.30 am and depart at 9.15 pm so its not an overnight connection. Depending on what I have going on work wise, I may just spring for a nearby hotel but it'll have to be someplace that can let me check in early and not at 3 pm
Old Apr 2, 18, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If you need, there is a Sheraton hotel attached to Terminal 3 at YYZ. You'd take the airport monorail over from T1 to get there. They have day rates.
Old Apr 2, 18, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Thanks for letting me know about this program. I tried online and then called the reservations as well and they confirmed that its not available on an award ticket.
Interesting.

I remember back a few years ago I did the stopover thing at T3 on some Aeroplan flights to the Caribbean. But I guess that got rescinded at some point. Good to know.
Old Apr 2, 18, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I read up on the Signature Suite and I'll give that a shot as well. If they dont let me in,
They won't. The AC SS is for Paid J long haul international only. Upgrades and Reward tickets do NOT qualify for admission.
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread