Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Did Air Canada get hacked a couple of weeks ago?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did Air Canada get hacked a couple of weeks ago?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Let's consider what we do know;
Under multiple privacy and public company regulatory laws, Air Canada is obliged to declare if and when it has been hacked and the confidential information of customers or suppliers has been accessed and potentially stolen. Some jurisdictions require the target of such attacks to provide advisory and credit monitoring services to victims. Air Canada does store passport and visa information in addition to credit card data.
I am confident that if an event involving unauthorized access to confidential client data occurred we would know about it. While Canada is not known for protecting the rights of consumers, the EU and the USA do care.
Where would it be declared/reported? Has AC ever reported anything?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Where would it be declared/reported? Has AC ever reported anything?
In Canada (unless it has changed) I believe it is still voluntary. Reporting would be to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner. Best practice is to inform the individuals whose data was compromised.

As an example, about three months ago I received a letter in the mail from Sabre (the reservation system). It basically gave a date range for the reservation and said one of the hotel in the US that uses their platform was compromised. It did not provide the name of the hotel, so I can only narrow it down to four US hotels, three are regional chains and one is a major Vegas property.

As far as AC past reporting, no idea.

As far as the likelihood that the outage was the result of a hacker, I go back to my comment that hackers these days are more motivated by money and stealing credit and personal data that they can then resell. Last thing they would want to do is bring down the system that is feeding them their data.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by balexis
Also, recovering from a successful hack/ransomware/whatever attack in a matter of hours is incompatible with AC's IT department reputation. It would even be a tough one for an organisation with mature cybersecurity processes and teams in place...
Agreed! Even the most mature and pro-active of IT orgs with all the appropriate security controls, recovery plans, etc would require pretty much an entire business day (if not more) to return to full function.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Can we lock this thread?

It never should have been started in the first place as its premise is completely baseless and serves no useful purpose for anything related to Air Canada or Aeroplan.
DrunkCargo and 24left like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fake news ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.