A new AC fare?

Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude SEMM
A new AC fare?

Have booked many flights, but have not seen this one before. Sadly, I was unable to complete the booking. Hey, hey, goodbye.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
That's a NoGo fare class
24left and Yhztraveller like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like NaNs. Not sure how zero plus zero ended up as a NaN though.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Your account has been suspended for suspicious activity. Nature of suspicious activity: use of advanced mathematics and non-real numbers
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Stranger
I like NaNs. Not sure how zero plus zero ended up as a NaN though.
if you have any device with Siri, ask her "What is zero divided by zero". Her answer will likely explain this phenomenon
Yhztraveller and ffsim like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
if you have any device with Siri, ask her "What is zero divided by zero". Her answer will likely explain this phenomenon
My point was, even siri will tell you that zero plus zero won't end up as NaN. Divided, obviously, no need for siri for that...

Bust ask siri about the l'Hospital rule.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
For anyone using the wrong platform

24left, longtimeflyin and rehoult like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim

For anyone using the wrong platform
Not really. Computers will yield a NaN if they strictly face 0/0, or if the answer falls outside the range of their floating point format. As to an answer being indeterminate that never makes sense physically, except if the question made no sense in the first place. Otherwise a sensible limit should exist.

None of which explaining why AC's computers yield a NaN when adding 0+0. Which in any decent family and for any reasonable computer is always 0.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Not really. Computers will yield a NaN if they strictly face 0/0, or if the answer falls outside the range of their floating point format. As to an answer being indeterminate that never makes sense physically, except if the question made no sense in the first place. Otherwise a sensible limit should exist.

None of which explaining why AC's computers yield a NaN when adding 0+0. Which in any decent family and for any reasonable computer is always 0.
NaN can also be a string. Like “0” as an int all return a JS NaN if memory serves. Basically if AC had decent developers, testers or perhaps even some unit tests this wouldn’t happen.

And by happen I mean make it into production. This should be caught on dev or Test. I’m assuming AC have at least one non live environment.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Not really. Computers will yield a NaN if they strictly face 0/0...
Originally Posted by jc94
NaN can also be a string.
Y’all are no fun.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think the real interesting question is where can I buy a $0 fare?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ffsim
Y’all are no fun.
I wonder if they missed your intent.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
I wonder if they missed your intent.
His is with integers.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Had a similar issue at work a few weeks ago - basically our app was formatting a price but the API returned "Price not available" so yeah .... we were showing $undefined.NaN or something ridiculous like that

If you look at the screenshot, you'll see the fare and taxes are listed as "0.0" which is a bit unusual and might help explain what's going on

Also, as a proof of concept, you can do this in your browser's javascript console

> "0.0" + "0.0"
< "0.00.0"
> Number("0.0" + "0.0")
< NaN

And guess what I just saw in my console

Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by maradori
Had a similar issue at work a few weeks ago - basically our app was formatting a price but the API returned "Price not available" so yeah .... we were showing $undefined.NaN or something ridiculous like that

If you look at the screenshot, you'll see the fare and taxes are listed as "0.0" which is a bit unusual and might help explain what's going on

Also, as a proof of concept, you can do this in your browser's javascript console

> "0.0" + "0.0"
< "0.00.0"
> Number("0.0" + "0.0")
< NaN

And guess what I just saw in my console

+1. Likely to be a type error. Guess AC hired a intern who only worked with C/Java in school?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.