Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Missed flight connection due to AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Missed flight connection due to AC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
That phone call (if there is an agent) might help because the agent offloading the passengers are working off of what is on the computer not live info (passengers getting off first vs. last, motivated enough to run for it vs. slow walking it). That agent is assuming that these passengers are not going to make it. A phone call will certainly deter the agent from offloading them until the very last minute. But in this case, AC offloaded OP way before while they were still in the air. That is frustrating. I will certainly take a picture of the time as proof of when I got there. It is sad we have to go to that depth to show "proof" when fighting for IDB.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Mar 18, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
That phone call (if there is an agent) might help because the agent offloading the passengers are working off of what is on the computer not live info (passengers getting off first vs. last, motivated enough to run for it vs. slow walking it). That agent is assuming that these passengers are not going to make it. A phone call will certainly deter the agent from offloading them until the very last minute. But in this case, AC offloaded OP way before while they were still in the air. That is frustrating. I will certainly take a picture of the time as proof of when I got there. It is sad we have to go to that depth to show "proof" when fighting for IDB.
I don't have much to say, because you covered it all

A phone call only works if the GA is doing the work. But in this case, they're not. The system is.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Hence my "I would submit an IDB claim to AC, then when they refuse to pay, to the CTA."

I'm still waiting for this to happen to me. I would fight it.
Absolutely.

Actually I believe the issue has already been dealt with by the CTA previously. Which means that AC would likely not want it to go again.

I believe there were two decisions, one in favor of AC, in case arrival was past the 15 minutes cutoff, another against, when arrival was past the MCT.

Crucial point would be how to prove that OP was at the gate more than 15 minutes from scheduled departure time.

First step would be to go to the CTA web site and find the relevant decisions. Quoting them in the letter and pointing out that the rules were not followed might be a good idea. Anyway, seems the computer continues doing it. AC probasbly just decided they would rather continue, avoiding having to pay IDBs/VDNs, and just compensate whoever is knowledgeable enough to complain.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I've been caught by the rebooker a few times. An email to the concierge usually can clear things up, but that obviously isn't an option for everyone.

It is a tool that causes more harm then good, IME.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I've been caught by the rebooker a few times. An email to the concierge usually can clear things up, but that obviously isn't an option for everyone.

It is a tool that causes more harm then good, IME.
I would bet it saves AC money. Surely 99% believe the BS.

Last edited by Stranger; Mar 18, 2018 at 8:00 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

I did decide to speak with a manager in YYZ and was told because I was travelling with checked baggage, that was the reason for moving us to AC616 as the CTA does not allow us to board a connecting flight without our baggage, is this true? or just another lie? I did question her on the baggage rule as I have traveled many times when my baggage has not make the connecting flight and it never been an issue.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halifaxtraveler
I did decide to speak with a manager in YYZ and was told because I was travelling with checked baggage, that was the reason for moving us to AC616 as the CTA does not allow us to board a connecting flight without our baggage, is this true? or just another lie? I did question her on the baggage rule as I have traveled many times when my baggage has not make the connecting flight and it never been an issue.
Another lie. Happens all the time that luggage ends up on a different flight. There was a thread here recently about someone who did not make it to his connection, but luggage did...

You are not allowed to knowingly have your luggage on a different flight. Which is a different situation. If you don't show up, they must take your luggage out. But if you clearly planned to be on board not an issue.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:53 pm

It's generally not permitted to travel without your luggage due to passenger's actions (like SDC/standby/etc.).

Your case was clearly not your doing. The airline can do what they want.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me to learn your bags made the earlier flight.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
AC136 didn't make it to the gate until 2:22pm

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...400Z/CYYC/CYYZ

AC614 left at 2:30pm

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...835Z/CYYZ/CYHZ
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
614's actual departure time is irrelevant. 1435 is all that matters.

That being said, if the inbound arrived at 1422, there's no justification for IDB compensation.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Oh, I agree with your reasoning. But I don't think it prevents AC from trying to weasel its way out of compensation. I think we know the argument AC might employ here: OP was offloaded before new pax were confirmed, therefore there were never more pax holding confirmed reservations than the number of seats available because AC unconfirmed OP's reservation, therefore Rule 90 doesn't apply. This is of course a rubbish argument since as the CTA has confirmed an airline can't just unilaterally unconfirm someone's reservation at its own convenience, but that doesn't stop AC from using it anyway.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
614's actual departure time is irrelevant. 1435 is all that matters.

That being said, if the inbound arrived at 1422, there's no justification for IDB compensation.

That is not true, I was off AC136 before 14:22, I even have people who can confirm this if needs be.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by halifaxtraveler
That is not true, I was off AC136 before 14:22, I even have people who can confirm this if needs be.
Expect AC to go by this time, however. They'll absolutely use this to deny you compensation. I doubt even sworn affidavits will make them budge.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Expect AC to go by this time, however. They'll absolutely use this to deny you compensation. I doubt even sworn affidavits will make them budge.
CTA might differ.

OP having a picture of a clock close to some gate would help too.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Take a read of this judgement in small claims court and look at the acrobatics AC's legal team went to do try and deny the claim: https://www.canlii.org/en/ns/nssm/do...2014nssm14.pdf
pitz likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Take a read of this judgement in small claims court and look at the acrobatics AC's legal team went to do try and deny the claim: https://www.canlii.org/en/ns/nssm/do...2014nssm14.pdf
Acrobatics? Good lord, that's straight up dishonesty in their position, that the plaintiff didn't travel on AC153 as he did in fact. And exposes sloppy record keeping at AC, that their systems are not synchronized, and that they do not know exactly which reservations are travelling on their aircraft to the point where a court had to adjudicate the issue.

Kind of a pity the matter was pursued in small claims, where the costs recoverable were minimal. Speaks to a culture where they'll spend many thousands to defend a mistake costing mere hundreds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.