Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking EXTRASEAT on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by kenlor
I don't have a comment addressing the OP's original query, but I do have a question related to it:

When one purchases an extra seat, does one receive some sort of "proof of purchase" that can be used to prevent seat-jumpers from squatting in it once the aircraft is in flight?

I've been on flights where, once in the air, the FA's allow people to move about in Y and sit in any empty seat they choose. Would be frustrating if one had paid for an empty seat and couldn't defend it under these circumstances.
Or the flight is oversold and your extra seat gets "IDB'd"
That would make for an interesting case with CS after.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kenlor

I've been on flights where, once in the air, the FA's allow people to move about in Y and sit in any empty seat they choose. Would be frustrating if one had paid for an empty seat and couldn't defend it under these circumstances.
Just say no.

In other words, "that seat is mine. If you want to buy it back, what's your offer?"
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
There is a SSR remark on the Inflight paperwork that indicates the seat was purchased for comfort. So it can be defended onboard.

Incase of oversell, the extra seat does not play a factor (the passenger doesn't just 'give it up' without compensation). But if the passenger volunteers or gets bumped both seats are affected, but only one payment of denied boarding is made.
kenlor likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Am I correct that nobody has actually answered the OP's question? Except with the tangential: make a false claim that you are obese? (Assuming OP isn't, in fact, obese?)
eigenvector likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ridefar
Am I correct that nobody has actually answered the OP's question?
No, you are not as I tried to answer OP's query with my experiences from a past extra seat reservation in my previous post.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Truly shocking that no one on FT whom has read this is able to answer it!

Ultimitely phoning AC has to be the way to go. I do fear that if the OP were to call in three times they might get three different answers however.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jc94
Ultimitely phoning AC has to be the way to go. I do fear that if the OP were to call in three times they might get three different answers however.
This being AC, three calls could easily result in four or five different answers.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
This being AC, three calls could easily result in four or five different answers.
No doubt. The official info is here. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ing-needs.html

if you want to pay for an extra seat for comfort you can do it through AC reservations. If you want a free seat you have to have the Air Canada medical form filled out by a doctor with section 3 being the section with your measurement and then get the AC Medical Desk to issue a medical approval number. Then you can book through AC reservations and the AC Medical Assistance Desk will work the file for seat assignment. But getting a reservation agent that knows it may be more difficult.

Beyond the info above, my info is third hand, and a couple of years old. If you are looking for the free seat, I would call the AC Medical Desk whose number is on the page above. If you are just paying for an extra seat, AC reservations can do it.
ridefar and jc94 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by tcook052
No, you are not as I tried to answer OP's query with my experiences from a past extra seat reservation in my previous post.
OK... Maybe I should have just reported the rest of the responses as being OT. Maybe to a moderator or some such.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
And then one may have to call AP to book the seat there. Uhoh.

I suspect at least one AC call will include the phrase “R space” (yes I known OP is going Y) while at least one AP call will include “I don’t see that here”.

Honestly at this point, the best option may be to see if points can be used for another trip and just buying 2xTango for the flight if it has to be this exact flight on this exact date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.