Wiki Posts
Search

Options for increased AQM

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Options for increased AQM

Hi everyone,

I’ve repatriated to Canada and find myself on a bunch of Rogue (or other) 50% mileage flights. It will be a struggle to achieve 45k AQM AND requalify for 50k.

There are too many cheap tickets and (International) MUHQV fares seem more costly than I remember.

At present I’m thinking of buying FlightPasses to Europe. 100% mileage, some flexibility and maybe enough trips to retain status.

What other options should I consider ?? Will take a look at UA fares which accrue 100% mileage. Personal travel for me is always western Europe, though I’d love to see Asia... mileage run ?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
If you are prepared to spend something like $2k return to Asia to get miles, why not spend $100 more for 20 flights to get 100% miles with no extra time?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by dodgy73
Hi everyone,

I’ve repatriated to Canada and find myself on a bunch of Rogue (or other) 50% mileage flights. It will be a struggle to achieve 45k AQM AND requalify for 50k.

There are too many cheap tickets and (International) MUHQV fares seem more costly than I remember.

At present I’m thinking of buying FlightPasses to Europe. 100% mileage, some flexibility and maybe enough trips to retain status.

What other options should I consider ?? Will take a look at UA fares which accrue 100% mileage. Personal travel for me is always western Europe, though I’d love to see Asia... mileage run ?
Welcome back, it's Rouge not Rogue, officially. Note that while Rouge has many issues limited AQM is not one of them, limited AQM is any Tango tickets which earn 25% AQM within Canada, and 50% for TB/Intl flights. Economy Basic earns no AQM.

MUH at least are high flex codes; low flex codes (which I believe is more than just Q and V but I'm sure the cow will be along soon) also get 100% AQM. I believe G is one I've booked into. If you are booking on aircanada.com; Flex tickets should be obvious. If using a travel agent or the likes of CWT you may struggle to try and pinpoint the right fares. You could also consider PY especially when TATL which will give you 125% and is often only slightly more, or at times less, than (Low) Flex.

Personally, when flying to the US I prefer to pay UA J/F for a similar price to AC Y. Of course, that doesn't earn you AQD which for E50k is C$6k I think.

Others know far far more than me about FPs.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I think the simplest method is to call AC and up your existing fares to flex. Probably cheaper and less time consuming than flying extra trips. You also need AQD on AC metal which will not be possible if you fly on UA metal.
I suspect your cheap fares are booked by a OTA on work trips. If that is the case you can call the OTA and try and pay the diff yourself, this is easier to do within 24 hrs of booking, specially for transborder and international. You can also call call AC, sometimes they will refuse to touch a OTA ticket and sometimes they will.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
It's also a better idea to do is as soon as possible before they sell out of lower flex fares.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Make sure to calculate the cost per segment for the flex European FP versus buying lowest premium economy. Especially if you are able to buy your tickets with sufficient advance notice, there are sporadically 15%+ air Canada sales and PY lowest is usually included.

Often PY Lowest works out to be cheaper than flex FP per segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.