Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more AeroPlan Miles with ESSO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
The only time I ever found collecting Aeroplan points at Esso to be valuable was a few years ago when they were running that star collection promo with no minimum spend.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
I'd been still collecting Aeroplan miles hoping that the program would turn into something like Air Miles--not affiliated with any airline and not as lucrative for those of us hoping to redeem for business class seats, but still a viable option for those looking to collect points towards travel. But with the loss of Esso and no replacement partner, I'm starting to worry that Aeroplan may not survive in any worthwhile format past 2020.

I've just received an RBC Avion card (I plan to transfer miles to Avios--I've had pretty good success redeeming them for Cathay Pacific business class seats) to replace my now defunct Marriott Rewards VISA. Perhaps it's time to ditch the Aeroplan credit cards too.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by cedric
I was curious, so I did the math and posted to another forum. $500 doesn't quite get you one (high end) car wash, but is still one of the better rates of return.Here's what I came up with:
In summary, looks like the best return is filling up at Mobil. If no Mobil in your area, then Esso is best for car washes or Petro-Canada for gas. The worst return is Shell. Co-op could be OK too but you won't know what your return is until the end of the year.

Calculations done at $1.40/liter using regular gas without any promotions for reward items valued at $10 or high end car wash. Estimated value for car wash I used was $12.
Interesting comparison - thanks for summarizing! Reinforces what I was thinking that car washes with Esso Extra points are a good value, so not a big loss with not being able to earn Aeroplan points.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AP
No esso ap points

Is there another retailer where we can get easy miles to keep AP Account active
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I was curious, so I did the math and posted to another forum. $500 doesn't quite get you one (high end) car wash, but is still one of the better rates of return.Here's what I came up with
Good work. I guess we also need to consider AP. I can’t actually recall how many points one gets though, but AP website (actually working) indicates 2 for $3. So at $500 that gives us 333 points if every transaction is exactly divisible by 3.

According to AP buying requirements, that’s $15.05 in ON. So 1:33? Of course, there are so many caveats here not least if which actual AP worth that it’s hard to compare.

I personally think I’d value points at 6750 for a $50 GC right now, which is 0.74c/point and that converts to a 1:202 ratio. If my math is correct.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: Altitude 50K, Hilton Honours, Marriott
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I don't do the PC Optimum thing. I did the PC Plus for a short period of time and stopped after it was clear it offered no points or rewards. Even worse than Aeroplan. You basically present your card, provide the vendor with lots of data for analytics and in return you get no points unless you log into some website and then the retailer has selected 4-5 items but only if you indicate you want to get point and then only over the next few days. It was a problem designed to ensure you accumulated nothing. That lead me to run away from any Loblaws program in existence. Aeroplan is much better can't believe any retailer would want to partner with Loblaws.
It was frustrating and I almost stopped but the more I scanned and the more data I gave them, the more predictive my offers became and the faster I started to earn points. Wasn't too bad. PC Optimum allows me to rack up points at Shoppers too. Not the best program, but it's not terrible.

Originally Posted by Great White North
But with the loss of Esso and no replacement partner, I'm starting to worry that Aeroplan may not survive in any worthwhile format past 2020.
This is my fear too. Got the e-mail last night and thought: "oh ...., they're really on the outs."
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by jc94

Good work. I guess we also need to consider AP. I can’t actually recall how many points one gets though, but AP website (actually working) indicates 2 for $3. So at $500 that gives us 333 points if every transaction is exactly divisible by 3.

According to AP buying requirements, that’s $15.05 in ON. So 1:33? Of course, there are so many caveats here not least if which actual AP worth that it’s hard to compare.

I personally think I’d value points at 6750 for a $50 GC right now, which is 0.74c/point and that converts to a 1:202 ratio. If my math is correct.
Esso was 1 mile per $3 if you bought "regular" gas.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Count me among those who went out of my way to fill up at Esso because of the points. In these parts, all gas stations are priced the same. This was a differentiator. What station will now have the loyalty program with the highest return?
same here. now i'm not sure i'll continue.

Originally Posted by MaHa
The best/free way of keeping your account alive is the Asking Canadians. Sends emails for surveys. Can earn 25-100 Aeroplan miles or 5 if they reject you.

I live in Nunavut, so they always reject me 5 Aeroplan miles for 10 seconds of work
discrimination!!! you should file suit!

Originally Posted by mapleg
I never did. I used their speedpass (and I am sure I signed up for some AP promot at the time). So easy, pay with it, Aeroplan points earned and takes maybe 8 seconds vs going to a pump, putting in card, drumming fingers, put in PIN., drum some more etc.
along with the aeropesos, the speedpass was the real driver for me choosing esso.

I don't do the PC Optimum thing. I did the PC Plus for a short period of time and stopped after it was clear it offered no points or rewards. Even worse than Aeroplan. You basically present your card, provide the vendor with lots of data for analytics and in return you get no points unless you log into some website and then the retailer has selected 4-5 items but only if you indicate you want to get point and then only over the next few days. It was a problem designed to ensure you accumulated nothing. That lead me to run away from any Loblaws program in existence. Aeroplan is much better can't believe any retailer would want to partner with Loblaws.
i never did pc plus because i don't like great canadian superstore that much. but i did squeezed A LOT of juice out of rexall's shoppers optimum. have a look at their flyers, use the card when there are bonuses (which is basically all the time) and spend the value on senior's day when it's 20% off (if you're 55+) some places say 65 but i've never had a problem. the other day i wanted to clear out my hoard of points before the merger and i walked out with well over $200 worth of cosmetics for my wife and me and i only paid the tax. pretty good value there.

Originally Posted by Sunielp
yes, quite a few: https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...OurPartners_EN
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Sunielp
Just buy something at Home Hardware.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I work in an industry that unfortunately means I have to deal with Loblaws, and know more about how they operate than I would like to. I refuse to actually shop there and give them any of my personal business. By extension, I will stop going to Esso, not because Aeroplan will be gone (they never earned me that many miles anyway), but because they have chosen to affiliate themselves with Loblaws.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Esso was 1 mile per $3 if you bought "regular" gas.
Looking worse and worse!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:30 pm

Petro-Canada also has a 3 cent/l rebate when you link and pay with RBC Avion as well you can like the Save-On-Foods card and also double dip into those points.
More Rewards points are basically useless, though. I do like shopping at Save On Foods, but the rewards program is the pits.
Just for reference - you'll get 1 More Rewards point per dollar spent at Petro Canada.
The few $10 gift cards that they offer are 6000 points - so that's a 600:1 return.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.aeroplan.com/essonews.do
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
More Rewards points are basically useless, though. I do like shopping at Save On Foods, but the rewards program is the pits.
Just for reference - you'll get 1 More Rewards point per dollar spent at Petro Canada.
The few $10 gift cards that they offer are 6000 points - so that's a 600:1 return.
Well that is a crappy return. At least it is combined with the 3c/l discount and petropoints.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
I Stopped using my Aeroplan credit card at my local ESSO station when I found out it was mistakenly code as a restaurant and giving me 5x points on my American express card. But before that I would go out of my way to fill up at the local Esso station. Now I use the American Express and CAA card for the 3cents off/ liter. A little over a year ago I was able to use the 3 cards now I can only use 2

Last edited by Nimitz; Mar 14, 2018 at 12:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.