Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No Shame in Admitting: What's Your Guilty AC Meal Pleasure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

On my recent AC90 YYZ-GRU flight in PY, the second meal was breakfast and featured a choice of omelette and 'crepe' (I believe this was also what was offered in Y). The 'crepe' was actually 3 small pancakes soaked in a heavy cream sauce and fruit compote. In my normal life on the ground, this is something I wouldn't touch with a three-foot pole. But I was a little hungry and decided to try a bite. 5 minutes later, all 3 pancakes were devoured (I tried to scrape off as much of the cream and compote as I could). I have to admit I quite enjoyed it, and think I'll have it again!

What's your guilty pleasure when it comes to AC food? It could be an unhealthy or low quality item you wouldn't normally eat, but somehow it becomes okay at 30,000 feet.

My runner up would be those beef or vegetarian hot pocket 'wraps' that AC serves as the second meal on NA-bound TATL flights in Y.
HampsteadHeath likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by capedreamer
On my recent AC90 YYZ-GRU flight in PY, the second meal was breakfast and featured a choice of omelette and 'crepe' (I believe this was also what was offered in Y). The 'crepe' was actually 3 small pancakes soaked in a heavy cream sauce and fruit compote. In my normal life on the ground, this is something I wouldn't touch with a three-foot pole. But I was a little hungry and decided to try a bite. 5 minutes later, all 3 pancakes were devoured (I tried to scrape off as much of the cream and compote as I could). I have to admit I quite enjoyed it, and think I'll have it again!

What's your guilty pleasure when it comes to AC food? It could be an unhealthy or low quality item you wouldn't normally eat, but somehow it becomes okay at 30,000 feet.

My runner up would be those beef or vegetarian hot pocket 'wraps' that AC serves as the second meal on NA-bound TATL flights in Y.
Honey Ginger Rack of Lamb First Class on the B727 boarded on AC756 ex SFO. Oh wait -- that was then.
WR Cage and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
I loved the Domestic Beef in Gravy / Mashed Potatoes served around 2011/2012 in J going back and forth from YYC-YYZ. And the cookies. OH THE COOKIES!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
  • The soon to be gone Hawksworth chocholate fondant cake
  • The Japanese meals to/from Tokyo
  • Bread and butter ex-CDG (moreso for that 85% fat Normandie-style butter...yummy. The bread is just a delivery mechanism)
  • The second light meal (tea and scones) ex-LHR
  • The dim sum brunch main course ex-HKG, preferably paired either with the wonton noodle soup or the congee (if available due to others declining their meal)
  • Kit Kats (although I will eat those on the ground anyways)
The Lev likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
chocolate chip cookie sandwich with vanilla ice cream

fortunately for my waistline, I'm at less than 50% success rate receiving this dessert. even though I'll admit I book J on PLH routes just for this chance.

Last edited by expert7700; Mar 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I had the pancakes with cream and compote in Y. It looked terrible (one pax saw it and asked to change for the omelette) but was surprisingly tasty.
2nd PY meal is (always?) same as in Y. Impressive it wasn’t banana bread if that half fat half salt pasty.

In J I like the beef. Because I’ve never had it turn out like a puck. Shows how often I go in AC J.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
AC J - my guilty pleasure is the Ice Cream & Cookie. Used to be cookies, but since the enhancement a few years ago I've had to ask for seconds. Usually enough people decline that there are extras left for me!

ex-LHR - the light meal before landing - love the scone and clotted cream.
And that chocolate cherry cake... I think it was ex-YYZ on my way to LHR. I kept asking for more...
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Love the diversity of feedback, but folks are missing the point! Was hoping to hear about the mildly embarrassing items people nonetheless found themselves enjoying.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Canneloni with ricotta cheese.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
The chicken meatball pocket I had in Y from MUC-YYZ.

The Rose pasta in Premium Economy.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
You asked for a guilty pleasure and here it is: I enjoy the banana loaf served for breakfast on TATL Y!
Nothing precedes an EU arrival like some banana loaf and coffee.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Love the diversity of feedback, but folks are missing the point! Was hoping to hear about the mildly embarrassing items people nonetheless found themselves enjoying.
By default, Miss Vickie's reduced fat chips wins my nomination. Sad to say, but my AC meals have been rather mediocre over the past two years. I am probably one of the few here who can't say anything nice about AC catering. I take a bag of Miss Vickies from the basket on my TPACs and enjoy them. Often I will wash it down with a large glass of the plonk they have on ice. It's my guilty pleasure .
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Warm nuts
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by vernonc
Warm nuts
Curious how that is a guilty pleasure?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Curious how that is a guilty pleasure?
its when you eat three bowls of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.