Uncaged pets in J?

Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by eracerblue

Sounds like you saw an ESA - They are typically unmarked, and can only come out during flight.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ce-animal.html
Interesting. The ESA policy seems to cover transborder and domestic flights, but not international flights?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by cperciva
What are the rules for pets in business class?

Earlier today I flew AC064 (ICN-YVR). The passenger in the pod in front of me brought on a dog in a carrier, but as soon as she was seated the dog came out of the carrier and every time I walked past it was sitting on her lap. Cabin crew was very aware of the animal, and stopped many times to "talk" to it and ask the owner about it.

I don't really feel I can complain about this, since the animal was mostly well behaved -- a bit of barking as the plane was taking off, but otherwise it was "seen but not heard". Still, I was uncomfortable with there being a loose animal in the cabin (I have a phobia of dogs) and was surprised that it was allowed.
It's none of your business. If you are that concerned or worried, go sit in your seat, and do not walk around. Passengers who walk around the cabin are a danger to other passengers. More so than a critter on someone's lap. The dog wasn't anywhere near you or in your space. You chose to walk about. I dislike the cabin wanderers, but I don't complain about them.

I note some of the comments about "enforcement of the rules". Hypocrites.
Hypocrites because there are a large number of pax including the self important pompous elites who break the rules every flight; gaming the system, or arrogantly violating the carry on size and quantity rules. Where are the self appointed regulation enforcers at the gate when the excess dimension carry on brigade are lined up? What about the jerks who pinch all the chocolate bars or modest snacks? Oh no, that's ok, right?

The animal in cabin rules should be approached using common sense and fairness. The reason there are rules is so that the airline can refer to something when it needs to manage someone who cannot behave responsibly. It's to manage the airline legal liability. In the good old days, people were responsible and considerate of others and there did not need to be draconian rules. Not so on the airlines of today, so there are rules. Here's how it works in real life: I live in a residential building. The rules say no dogs, but it's a dog building. The rule is used to provide an opportunity to remove aggressive dogs and their custodians who are irresponsible. That's how the onboard confinement rule should be applied. If a companion animal is well behaved, leave it alone.

And yes, I believe that animals should be allowed in J. I'd rather a dog, a big drooling mastiff, than some of the pax I see in J. I am allergic to dogs and cats and other beasts. Such is my life. I don't blame my genetic deficiency on the animals. My sneeze or itch is a small price I pay for the joy of saying how do you do to a doggie. Ideally, animals shouldn't be on board as flying puts undue emotional pressure on the animal and causes pain and discomfort when the critter cannot relieve its bladder or bowels. Unfortunately, some animals must travel, and when they do, they should be allowed to travel comfortably.

The core issue is that far too many people abuse the service animal option and they should be kept off the airplane. Deal with them and stop punishing the well behaved animals and the responsible custodians. While the airlines are at it, maybe they can ban the loud jerks or the idiots who get obnoxiously drunk. And the morbidly obese who purchase one seat, but spill over into the aisle or adjacent seat(s).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
Originally Posted by PB53x11
What about Ewoks? They are cute, but ...
I'm happy u asked, I think they are ok in PY..but no ewoks in J no matter how cute
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
It's none of your business. If you are that concerned or worried, go sit in your seat, and do not walk around. Passengers who walk around the cabin are a danger to other passengers. More so than a critter on someone's lap. The dog wasn't anywhere near you or in your space. You chose to walk about. I dislike the cabin wanderers, but I don't complain about them.

What happen if the plane hits some turbulence and the loose dog goes flying through the cabin and injures a passenger and /or the dog?

Keeping the dog in it's carrier ensure both it and fellow passengers are safe, just as the passengers are recommended to keep their seatbelts on at all times.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My dog always wears his harness, but he's never tied up or in a cage. He's always free to roam. Though I think he's only wandered off once.

I try to keep an eye on him, and I don't think he's ever bothered anyone. He certainly hasn't caused any allergic reactions.
flyquiet and kenlor like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My dog always wears his harness, but he's never tied up or in a cage.
I understand harnesses are reasonably common in SFO. Although I thought being tied up and/or being in a cage wasn't unheard of either.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
OK, what if a dog decides to self-upgrade?

What do we do then?

Suppose the dog is with someone in PY or Y. And decides to go up to see the owner in J.

Do we run with the whining from pet-lovers? Side with the self-upgrading lovers? Sympathize with the full J pax who is annoyed by the canine companion?

I mean, where does this ever end?

How do we know if it s a self-upgrading dog, or has paid the fee. Does the fee apply to a certain cabin class, or is transferable?

I mean, what are the rules here!

WE DEMAND CLARITY!
Self-upgrading dogs into J are only allowed if they have been trained to watch over the kit-kat bars. If so, as compensation for their service in protecting the snack basket from kit kats hoarders and unauthorised access they are given automatic op-ups.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Self-upgrading dogs into J are only allowed if they have been trained to watch over the kit-kat bars. If so, as compensation for their service in protecting the snack basket from kit kats hoarders and unauthorised access they are given automatic op-ups.
Plus, chocolate is toxic for dogs so we know that they won't eat the KitKats.
flyquiet and Fiordland like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jasdou
Plus, chocolate is toxic for dogs so we know that they won't eat the KitKats.
Or, they will only eat them once.
jasdou likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
My dog always wears his harness, but he's never tied up or in a cage. He's always free to roam. Though I think he's only wandered off once.

I try to keep an eye on him, and I don't think he's ever bothered anyone. He certainly hasn't caused any allergic reactions.
Sounds like u have a dog just like mine
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:35 am

How do you know for sure that your dog « certainly hasn’t cause any allergic reactions » ? Isn’t it a dog, made from dog material, with dog’s hair and dog’ s skin ( also causing allergies)? Or did everyone who met it enthusiastically tell you that they fortunately did not have any allergies after having encountered your special dog?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
How do you know for sure that your dog « certainly hasn’t cause any allergic reactions » ? Isn’t it a dog, made from dog material, with dog’s hair and dog’ s skin ( also causing allergies)? Or did everyone who met it enthusiastically tell you that they fortunately did not have any allergies after having encountered your special dog?
I sure hope @canadiancow's dog is not made from dog material. Travelling with Ace is his way of dealing with AC-induced stress.
canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:12 am

Oh! It is his emotional support stuffed animal! Then let’s forget my allergies. Let’s have priorities. Unless Ace is full of a acarians.

Last edited by LearningToFly; Mar 16, 2018 at 10:51 am Reason: Forgot a strong argument
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by LearningToFly

Maybe this should be in the wiki, but part of the AC Forum folklore is that CC's emotional support "dog" Ace is a stuffed toy.
But it could be full of dust mites, to which I might be allergic, so the categorical denial is debatable
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:35 pm

Yes, thanks, I realized that soon after. I modified my post accordingly.
flyquiet likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.