Uncaged pets in J?

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jc94
It’s a sad reflection on our society that ESAs are required. In my very humble opinion.

Can I pay more for a ticket to avoid ESAs? Like I can pay for more leg room, baggage, etc ...
Most carriers allow anyone to buy an extra seat (or even multiple extra seats) for any reason, so you might be able to buy an entire row to avoid having a dog in your row.

Some carriers don't permit *pets* on certain aircraft types, in certain cabin classes, so you could look for such flights if applicable, but these restrictions wouldn't apply to service dogs or ESAs.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:49 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ewok22
Ok, I am a dog lover so ready to get flamed for having an opinion, so lets start with it is not a Cage but a Pet Carrier.
I actually Agree that no pets should be allowed in J, it's that simple.
I believe all airlines are wimps when it comes to animal enforcement as they don't want to make CBC headlines or in the case of United kill the dog in by placing in the overhead compartment
Cargo tends to be dangerous for the animals
How about putting people with pets in the last row of Y and they have to buy the whole row (as in 2 or 3 seats) but at somewhat of a discount - I mean at least it is a solution
And Finally to the guy in J yesterday YYC - YVR who immediate kicked off his shoes and then started picking his nose and putting it in his mouth throughout the flight....a cage would have been appropriate
I think you meant "Carrier" , not "Cage"
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
How about asthma support animals? Like the invisible animal that isn't on the plane. I would like one of those.
canolakid and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Ok, I am a dog lover so ready to get flamed for having an opinion, so lets start with it is not a Cage but a Pet Carrier.
I actually Agree that no pets should be allowed in J, it's that simple.
I believe all airlines are wimps when it comes to animal enforcement as they don't want to make CBC headlines or in the case of United kill the dog in by placing in the overhead compartment
Cargo tends to be dangerous for the animals
How about putting people with pets in the last row of Y and they have to buy the whole row (as in 2 or 3 seats) but at somewhat of a discount - I mean at least it is a solution
And Finally to the guy in J yesterday YYC - YVR who immediate kicked off his shoes and then started picking his nose and putting it in his mouth throughout the flight....a cage would have been appropriate
I agree with putting pets (I have a few thoughts on others to put there but won't derail this thread) in the last row of Y. Make them Zone 5 too, if they can't survive the flight without an ESA ensure they spend as little time as possible on board (boarding is generally slower than deboarding).
I actually have a friend who is petrified of flying (and this was before his plane was diverted because "We seemed to have loaded the wrong amount of fuel"), he does not use an ESA.

Here's a question, most animals (let's say dogs) don't do well without being able to take a leak every 10-12 hours. What if the dog needs to go between YVR and SYD or any other ULH route? Is the pax expected to deal and dispose?

For your YYC YVR there is a thread dedicated to these gems
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by flyquiet
How about asthma support animals? Like the invisible animal that isn't on the plane. I would like one of those.
The only animal I'll happily tolerate on board (or in a MLL) is Ace @canadiancow
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
Originally Posted by jc94
I agree with putting pets (I have a few thoughts on others to put there but won't derail this thread) in the last row of Y. Make them Zone 5 too, if they can't survive the flight without an ESA ensure they spend as little time as possible on board (boarding is generally slower than deboarding).
I actually have a friend who is petrified of flying (and this was before his plane was diverted because "We seemed to have loaded the wrong amount of fuel"), he does not use an ESA.

Here's a question, most animals (let's say dogs) don't do well without being able to take a leak every 10-12 hours. What if the dog needs to go between YVR and SYD or any other ULH route? Is the pax expected to deal and dispose?

For your YYC YVR there is a thread dedicated to these gems
Honestly I think it is mean to put your pet on a flight over 4 hours, but I suppose if you had to you could use puppy pads and take them to lav and have them do there business, then clean up no worse than changing a baby diaper. The exception to that are real working dogs not ESA's. I actually think they have diapers for small dogs.

No matter what solution to pets in the cabin someone can and will poke holes in the solution thus there isn't one or even a generalized protocol.

I feel strongly J should be devoid of both pets and under 6yo for that matter
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
While I love dogs, all pets should be caged on board because in a tight environment without the cage, sooner or later someone is gonna get bit

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Mar 14, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
While I love dogs, all pets should be caged because without the cage, sooner or later someone is gonna get bit
I support the dog. Some passengers often seem to be more enraged.

But then someone at UA will argue the dog belongs in a bin. Until the animal dies...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:39 pm

OK, what if a dog decides to self-upgrade?

What do we do then?

Suppose the dog is with someone in PY or Y. And decides to go up to see the owner in J.

Do we run with the whining from pet-lovers? Side with the self-upgrading lovers? Sympathize with the full J pax who is annoyed by the canine companion?

I mean, where does this ever end?

How do we know if it s a self-upgrading dog, or has paid the fee. Does the fee apply to a certain cabin class, or is transferable?

I mean, what are the rules here!

WE DEMAND CLARITY!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Stranger
I support the dog. Some passengers often seem to be more enraged.

But then someone at UA will argue the dog belongs in a bin. Until the animal dies...
There are those who have a phobia. I dont seen OP enraged, he is just concerned.
If the uncaged dog bit someone on-board, wouldn't AC be held liable also?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
OK, what if a dog decides to self-upgrade?

What do we do then?

Suppose the dog is with someone in PY or Y. And decides to go up to see the owner in J.

Do we run with the whining from pet-lovers? Side with the self-upgrading lovers? Sympathize with the full J pax who is annoyed by the canine companion?

I mean, where does this ever end?

How do we know if it s a self-upgrading dog, or has paid the fee. Does the fee apply to a certain cabin class, or is transferable?

I mean, what are the rules here!

WE DEMAND CLARITY!
Further to your comments what happens if the dog has his own
aeroplan account and tries to e-up
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:52 pm

There are those who have a phobia. I dont seen OP enraged, he is just concerned.
I actually think that exact situation just happened with an ESA, the dog was lying at it's owners feet and a little girl bent down to pet it on the way to her seat and the dig bite her

On the other hand how do you put a seeing eye large bred dog in a crate in the cabin, no space it just wouldn't work
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:10 pm

Further to your comments what happens if the dog has his own
aeroplan account and tries to e-up
Worse : what if the dog is given an op-up, trumping status of a PAX waiting for an e-up?

This can clearly get out of hand!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never claimed the OP was. Just "some passengers."

As to AC being liable, good question. I had a colleague who go hit by a falling piece of luggage which another passenger was trying to put in a bin but ended up letting fall. I don't think the issue of liability was ever clarified. But yes, I would hope the airline would be.

Then at United they'll end up with dead dogs falling from the bins...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
I feel strongly J should be devoid of both pets and under 6yo for that matter
What about Ewoks? They are cute, but ...
quantumofforce likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.