Wiki Posts
Search

Uncaged pets in J?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC:50K
Uncaged pets in J?

What are the rules for pets in business class?

Earlier today I flew AC064 (ICN-YVR). The passenger in the pod in front of me brought on a dog in a carrier, but as soon as she was seated the dog came out of the carrier and every time I walked past it was sitting on her lap. Cabin crew was very aware of the animal, and stopped many times to "talk" to it and ask the owner about it.

I don't really feel I can complain about this, since the animal was mostly well behaved -- a bit of barking as the plane was taking off, but otherwise it was "seen but not heard". Still, I was uncomfortable with there being a loose animal in the cabin (I have a phobia of dogs) and was surprised that it was allowed.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by cperciva

Earlier today I flew AC064 (ICN-YVR). The passenger in the pod in front of me brought on a dog in a carrier, but as soon as she was seated the dog came out of the carrier and every time I walked past it was sitting on her lap. Cabin crew was very aware of the animal, and stopped many times to "talk" to it and ask the owner about it.

I don't really feel I can complain about this, since the animal was mostly well behaved -- a bit of barking as the plane was taking off, but otherwise it was "seen but not heard". Still, I was uncomfortable with there being a loose animal in the cabin (I have a phobia of dogs) and was surprised that it was allowed.

Um, I thought the rule was no animals in anything in J due to the pods. I guess that went away...

Also, interesting that the cabin crew found the time to socialize with a pet.

I just looked at the AC Pet page

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ance/pets.html

Notice the line as well

You pet Must
  • Remain at all times in a closed pet carrier stowed under your seat.
Hmmmmmmm

Last edited by 24left; Mar 12, 2018 at 2:56 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Please no...
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Please no...
It will be interesting if one of these ends up near me on a flight. And yes, you may all howl at me for that comment. Bad enough there are pets and animals on North American flights. I can't imagine being trapped with one for 14 hours across the Pacific.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by 24left
I can't imagine being trapped with one for 14 hours across the Pacific.
Fortunately this was only a 9h47m TPAC.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Smile Kid and pets in cargo hold

Originally Posted by 24left
It will be interesting if one of these ends up near me on a flight. And yes, you may all howl at me for that comment. Bad enough there are pets and animals on North American flights. I can't imagine being trapped with one for 14 hours across the Pacific.
Looks like Pets on your next Pacific flight are NOT allowed in PE, so you might want to fly in that cabin. Its time to put all pets in the cargo hold with the child section
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:15 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Why would the crew allow the animal to be out of the cage?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: TK *G
Unless rules have changed, I would write in to complain about the inaction, or rule violation of the crew. It's not about comfort, it is about safety.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by songsc
Unless rules have changed, I would write in to complain about the inaction, or rule violation of the crew. It's not about comfort, it is about safety.
100%. Well except given one is paying for J I’d say comfort plays a part too. I’m pretty comfortable with dogs but wouldn’t be happy with a huge one especially if I’m lying down trying to sleep.

Odds are 99% you’ll be told they are raising the issue for investigation and have a 15% off code but maybe they will actually leave look into it.

Surely even AC IT can identify the SD on a
speciific flight on a specific day. Given the flight length might even be two SDs?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:41 am

Sounds like you saw an ESA - They are typically unmarked, and can only come out during flight.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ce-animal.html
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:54 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium

Was the animal harnessed?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's could have been flying as a service dog or emotionalal support animal (even if it wasn't a genuine ESA). They're allowed to be outside of containers in flight on most carriers as they aren't considered to be pets (even if they really are just pets).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
It’s a sad reflection on our society that ESAs are required. In my very humble opinion.

Can I pay more for a ticket to avoid ESAs? Like I can pay for more leg room, baggage, etc ...
LearningToFly and flyquiet like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by jc94
It’s a sad reflection on our society that ESAs are required. In my very humble opinion.
+1.

Originally Posted by jc94
Can I pay more for a ticket to avoid ESAs? Like I can pay for more leg room, baggage, etc ...
I think the answer is yes. Private jet is an option.
jc94 and smallmj like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
Ok, I am a dog lover so ready to get flamed for having an opinion, so lets start with it is not a Cage but a Pet Carrier.
I actually Agree that no pets should be allowed in J, it's that simple.
I believe all airlines are wimps when it comes to animal enforcement as they don't want to make CBC headlines or in the case of United kill the dog in by placing in the overhead compartment
Cargo tends to be dangerous for the animals
How about putting people with pets in the last row of Y and they have to buy the whole row (as in 2 or 3 seats) but at somewhat of a discount - I mean at least it is a solution
And Finally to the guy in J yesterday YYC - YVR who immediate kicked off his shoes and then started picking his nose and putting it in his mouth throughout the flight....a cage would have been appropriate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.